Author Topic: Got Lucky today,... Fuel leaks !! K1100RS  (Read 315 times)

Offline KCinSB

• ^ Motobrick Curious
Got Lucky today,... Fuel leaks !! K1100RS
« on: October 28, 2018, 11:15:17 AM »
Just read the Tech post on replacing the hard/cracked rubber fuel lines on a K1100RS. Exactly my situation and a good tip if you haven't even considered the issue yet....... Like ME !   :johnny.
  How it came up: Long time bike sitting (over a year+ after busting the fairing in a garage drop!)
Fairings are all off, but decided to try and start the bike, just because.... Topped the AGM battery overnight. Pushed it outside, (turns out a VERY good idea always), cranks but no start. Not surprising I guess, but I'm mulling that over later on. DUHhh,  side stand is still down dummy,...... Remember it's been a year+, and my others don't save my butt like the BMW. Anyhow, next attempt, bike outside again, key on,.... Oh yeah, I remember now, I should hear that whine sound,.... Push start, cranks, starts, and I shut it off. There's a weird "Fog" in the sun light at the left side. Fuel mist is spraying into the air!!  So glad all the fairing is off, and that allowed the spray to be visable, and not simply contained inside the engine faired in area. A mist of gas like that is the most dangerous thing I can think of! Looked at the lines, and Yep! Cracked and brittle.
  Found the tech post after looking up the line in the parts Fiche, and realized there are more lines than the obvious ones. So, more take it apart is now the plan. Got lucky today.
No good turn goes unpunished, but it's fun to keep trying.........
K1100RS, some old BSAs and Triumphs,... some even run!! Recent Dark Side foray... '65 XLCH tractor.

Offline mlytle

• ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
Re: Got Lucky today,... Fuel leaks !! K1100RS
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2018, 11:20:17 AM »
and that is why ALL the rubber lines (fuel, brake, vacuum and coolant) need to be replaced if more than 10-15 years old.   "low miles", "garage kept" or "they look fine" is irrelevant.  age kills them.
  • alexandria, va
  • 92 K75s, 94 K75s, 96 K1100RS SE (custodian), 09 K1300s
Marshall
Project Thread "K75s Midlife Refresh"
http://www.motobrick.com/index.php/topic,7810.0.html

Online Chaos

• ^ Quintessential Motobricker
  • Mars needs women!
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2018, 11:34:47 AM »
True especially for the fuel lines and most of the vacuum lines.  My 32 yr old K still has the original coolant lines though, they seem to be made from some ageless indestructorubber. 
  • sw ohio
1987 K75S    VIN 0231
Original owner, Original litter
200,000 miles (plus or minus) and 5 paint jobs
2012 Ural 2WD sidecar (BMW's bastard step child)

Offline JPaganel

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2018, 11:38:44 AM »
and that is why ALL the rubber lines (fuel, brake and coolant) need to be replaced if more than 10-15 years old.   "low miles", "garage kept" or "they look fine" is irrelevant.  age kills them.
This.

I just replaced the original 1986 fuel line from tank to pressure regulator.  The outer layer delaminated, and it was literally seeping through the inner ones.  It was like a sweaty snake. 

The nice thing is that technology progresses, and modern hoses are often light years better than the OE.  When I replace brake hoses on bikes I have them made at a local industrial hydraulics place. I get the top of the line teflon-cored, stainless braided, vinyl covered hose. It's pretty much eternal, as the rubber layer never touches brake fluid or sees UV.  The old rubber lines rot from the inside and rubber crumbs clog your brakes.
  • Minnesnowta
  • 1986 K100RT, 1996 R1100RS

Offline KCinSB

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2018, 10:49:16 AM »
Has anyone here purchased replacement factory fuel lines for a K1100?  Were they OK recent manufacture or NOS, but very old and questionable. I am trying to come up with a good way to route the replacement fuel lines, and a couple of the sharp 90 deg bends are a bit "iffy".....  If new ones are available and not junk I think I'd pay the price. 
  Also, best place to buy them? 
K1100RS, some old BSAs and Triumphs,... some even run!! Recent Dark Side foray... '65 XLCH tractor.

Offline mlytle

• ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2018, 01:15:42 PM »
i have got new ones from BMW dealer and they are good.
  • alexandria, va
  • 92 K75s, 94 K75s, 96 K1100RS SE (custodian), 09 K1300s
Marshall
Project Thread "K75s Midlife Refresh"
http://www.motobrick.com/index.php/topic,7810.0.html
Agree Agree x 1 View List

Offline KCinSB

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2018, 01:28:04 PM »
Thanks for the reply!  Good news. I'll give them a try also.  Regards, KC

Offline Laitch

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2018, 01:34:24 PM »
Thanks for the reply!  Good news. I'll give them a try also.  Regards, KC
CalMoto seems like a good source for you. I use MAX BMW in New Hampshire.
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75T 68,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.

Offline KCinSB

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2018, 03:02:37 PM »
Just finished with an on line order with the BMW Ventura County folks. The site is very good, no glitches. I hope the order comes in as well!  3 hoses, some rear tank grommets, 4 small throttle body caps and clamps. Each part was checked for fitment, and confirmed: "this part will fit your '93 K1100RS".  So far so good.... ! 

Offline KCinSB

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2018, 11:09:58 AM »
UPDATE: Just for those interested.  The 3 lines I'm replacing are the fuel lines. Tank outlet (pump) to fuel rail, fuel rail to press regulator, press reg return to tank. All 3 show the multiple cracks linear along the length of the 1993 tubing. BMW did have replacement parts, and they are dated recent mfr, so confident they will last awhile. (longer than I'll be riding........)  It's a process to get there, but an opportunity to clean up the motor. I just hope after this fix, the long time sitting doesn't present a bunch of other repairs needed. No way to find out but to give it a try..........  Starting reassembly today. Took pictures to help my old memory!!

Online The Mighty Gryphon

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2018, 11:51:07 AM »
Trust me, all this work you're doing, it's gonna pay off in the end. 

An old brick is kinda like a new girlfriend.  You gotta put what seems like a lot of time and energy(some money, too) in at the beginning, but the end result is almost always worth it.

And sometimes the end results are better with the brick than the girlfriend, just sayin'.
  • In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '94 K75RT Mystic Red, '92K100RS White, '94 K75S Dakar Yellow
Current:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'94 K75S "Cheetos"
'91 K100RS "Moby Brick Too

Offline KCinSB

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2018, 01:00:47 PM »
Just noticed something,. The photos here show on my desk top PC, but do not show in the post if I look at it on the iPad................  ??

Offline Laitch

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2018, 01:45:43 PM »
Just noticed something,. The photos here show on my desk top PC, but do not show in the post if I look at it on the iPad................  ??
That's good news! If you hadn't noticed they were missing, they probably weren't much to look at in the first place. Keep up the good work!
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75T 68,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.

Offline Nine80seven

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2018, 09:30:34 PM »
Good work.  Clean as you go.  Did the same to my '85 KRS.  Replaced rubber as I went through it, with the best as needed.  No one cares for yer ass like yerself. 
  • MN
  • 85 K100RS

Tags: