Author Topic: Hey all, I am finally starting my '85 k100 gravel runner project.  (Read 41341 times)

Offline jimmyx

• Motobrick Curious
Re: Hey all, I am finally starting my '85 k100 gravel runner project.
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2014, 11:29:58 PM »
Moving forward......new front fender( Super Tenere ) , dropped off solo seat for recover, next up; DS tires, supertrapp  exhaust,fork boots , rear sub-frame, fab- up a skid plate, powder coat rims, Army Grey paint.

Offline jimmyx

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2014, 06:53:52 PM »
Quick question on the neutral indicator light wiring.... I have been hooking up the wiring for  an aftermarket digital speedo unit (Koso  DB-01R) the Koso  unit has a white wire for the Neutral light and the K100 wiring schematic says black with green. I connected the white to black/ green but no neutral light. The neutral light worked on the old Instrument panel. The new unit powers up as it should(switch on the ignition and handlebar control and it lights up ) I used green as hot and brown as ground for the new unit based on BMW schematic. I also connected  the oil indicator and high beam indicator and they operate as they should . I kicked it in and out of neutral to make sure the neutral switch wasn't sticking. I thought  once the Koso unit was grounded that I was cool. Any thoughts.

Offline tg4360

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2014, 07:04:00 PM »
The gear indicator is driven by a type of rotery encoder that's slaved to the shift drum.

Looking at the wiring diagram, it appears that the display drives the neutral light once whatever logic it gets from the three wires of the shift drum is satisfied.

If you are going aftermarket, will there be a gear indicator?

If not, I bet you could get to the harness connector from the switch and just find a pair that will pass current when the shift drum hits neutral.

Other than that, I can't see by the diagram how you could use the current setup without the gear indicator.

Tony G

'87 K100GS (Mutated from a K100LT)
'79 XS750 "The Triple"
'72 A65T "The T-Bolt"
'68 B25 "The Blue Bike"

Offline jimmyx

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2014, 07:29:42 PM »
Thanks for a very concise answer Tony, you have been a great help on this project. I am far from an electronics expert, I am getting better with all this help. I'm a woodworker/ furniture maker by trade. I was an F-16 weapons system troubleshooter in the late 80's, it's all coming back slowly. I'll try your suggestion as this unit hasn't  a gear indicator.  Also, I may have a line on 90's r100gs fork and triple set up for $250.... Fingers crossed. If not, I'll' stick with stock with a fork brace and new springs/oil.
Thanks again,
Jim

Offline jimmyx

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2014, 08:16:48 PM »
Are there any differences between the Forks on an '85 k100rt and an '85 k100lt?

Offline tg4360

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2014, 08:38:26 PM »
Shouldn't be.  Particularly them being the same year.

From what I could see, the difference between my '87 LT and an RT would be the horrible champagne paint (color matched lids on the bags) blingy gold lettering, radio and scary light colored seat.

realoem.com is your friend here.

I spent hours there comparing part numbers etc.  Once you find your part, you can see what other bikes it fit on.

Came in REAL handy particularly for confirming things like steering head bearings.  I was able to see that the same sized bearing was used in the R100GS trees as the K/LT.  that gave me the warm and fuzzies about fitting.

TG
Tony G

'79 XS750 "The Triple"
'72 A65T "The T-Bolt"
'68 B25 "The Blue Bike"

Offline jimmyx

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2014, 08:41:06 PM »
Cool...I'm on it.

Offline tg4360

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2014, 08:45:23 PM »
Just remembered.... neutral light....  that light and switch also interacts with the clutch switch.

You can turn the starter in neutral with the clutch "out" as in not pulled or in gear with the clutch "in" (pulled).  Any other combo and the starter will not turn.

You may have to jump something somewhere depending on how you implement a neutral light to make sure you have crank (starter button) voltage to trigger the starter relay.

Tony G

'79 XS750 "The Triple"
'72 A65T "The T-Bolt"
'68 B25 "The Blue Bike"

Offline jimmyx

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2014, 09:29:08 PM »
I already need to pull in the clutch to start as I am no longer using the stock Instrument panel and I will not be building a start enable emulation circuit.

Offline jimmyx

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2014, 08:24:45 PM »
Thank you Robert! This is a big help.
Jim

Offline jimmyx

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2014, 11:45:18 PM »
Fork brace, speedo is wired up, waiting on seat, picked up a Supertrapp exhaust ( new for $75). I need the seat to cut the sub-frame. Tires are on order,searching for a good powder coating joint for the wheels. Found a good paint color(tank, fender)kind of a German/ French Army grey. See VW photo.

Offline jimmyx

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #37 on: August 04, 2015, 10:44:44 PM »
Progress.......? New house, new jobs, back at it. Progressive rear shock, fenders mounted, exhaust mounted, tires mounted, made a seat pan and fairing, seat upholstered. Lights are all working, I have paint picked out as well. she runs good, but really needs to run out, fast and far . Need to figure out rear sub frame( now that seat, fender and exhaust are done I can work it out) forks need a shit-ton of work any thoughts and ideas?

Offline jimmyx

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #38 on: August 04, 2015, 10:47:53 PM »
More...not sure why the photos are flipped.... If you click it it should show correctly.

Offline thegingerbeardman

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2015, 02:05:31 PM »
I  like the direction you're going.  what make/model of tires are you using?

derp, think i found it on the first page:

"Kenda Big Block rear and Trail Wing front"

Offline jimmyx

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #40 on: August 20, 2015, 06:02:57 PM »
Thanks Gingerbeardman,
Front- Continental TKC 80 (rear) 120/80/18 .....good fit !
Rear- Kenda, Big Block 130/80/17.......kinda small, I think, in retrospect I could have fit the 150/70/17.
They both seem to ride and handle well, at least on the short trips I've taken.

Offline MonkeyMcBean

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
« Reply #41 on: August 21, 2015, 10:13:01 AM »
new front fender( Super Tenere )

Are those indentations on the lower part of the fender backed up by a steel plate or something so that you can mount some driving/fog lights?
  • North Dakota, USA
  • 1993 k75s
This is it. F*** it. It is what it is.

Offline MonkeyMcBean

« Reply #42 on: August 21, 2015, 10:17:11 AM »
I already need to pull in the clutch to start as I am no longer using the stock Instrument panel and I will not be building a start enable emulation circuit.

Did you remove the kickstand retractor? I like that I can start the bike on the kickstand by putting it in neutral, otherwise I'd have to  right the bike and pull the clutch.
  • North Dakota, USA
  • 1993 k75s

Offline MonkeyMcBean

« Reply #43 on: August 21, 2015, 10:25:33 AM »
You should weld some caps or put some kind of plug in the frame where you cut the tail off. You don't want water to get in and collect in the bottom. Rust is not your friend.

They also make some kind of sealant for bicycles called "frame saver" that you can spray in before you seal it so that any moisture that is trapped does not rust it out.
  • North Dakota, USA
  • 1993 k75s

Offline jimmyx

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #44 on: August 21, 2015, 10:31:03 AM »
You could place a bit of aluminum behind the recess or maybe just a heavy washer if the lights were on the lighter side. I used a fender strap off a Triumph 955i on the lower mounting point with the help of a heat gun. I do have to pull the clutch in to start the bike..... I can leave it on the stand though, still works. My dualsport xr650r is a kicker so this seems like luxury. I plan on auxiliary lights on the fairing mounting brackets just below the forward fuel tank.

Offline jimmyx

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #45 on: August 21, 2015, 10:35:06 AM »
I'm actually going to trim the rear frame as I am building a new sub-frame to stabilize  the fender and my Giant Loop Cayote bag.

Offline jimmyx

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #46 on: April 08, 2016, 12:05:51 PM »
Getting close!

Offline beemrdon

« Reply #47 on: April 16, 2016, 02:33:10 PM »
Hey Jimmy, Looks like fun..

BTW, Have you thought about protecting the oil/water pump from flying rocks and such? I imagine the combination of those knobbies plus gravel roads will not be kind to the bottom-front of that K.    :yow
  • The South West... best motorcycling in the US! Longest riding season = 12 months per year
  • 1996 K1100 LT SE, Aspen Silver - Now with 159,xxx miles.

Offline jimmyx

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #48 on: April 16, 2016, 06:14:41 PM »
Hey Don,
It's been a fun project , still have a ton of finish work, painting ,etc. I have an aluminum skid plate in the works. Dust boots for the forks and a ton of maintenance still to do. Here's a few more picks.

Offline beemrdon

« Reply #49 on: April 16, 2016, 11:11:03 PM »
Good Work!
  • The South West... best motorcycling in the US! Longest riding season = 12 months per year
  • 1996 K1100 LT SE, Aspen Silver - Now with 159,xxx miles.

Tags: