Author Topic: Fidding a 18" x 4.5" Rear Moto Wheel Widda Car Tior  (Read 66735 times)

Offline Motorhobo

• +20 years of K75
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
Re: Re: Fitting a 18 x 4.5" rear wheel
« Reply #50 on: April 18, 2014, 07:31:48 AM »

Why is solely my responsibility to come up with helpful information?

Because you're the one who is passionate about this topic, enough to keep bringing it up. That's fine...but if you want to be the main proponent of an issue, then you should also know something about it.

Go reread your thread, it was moved, not removed. I looked for a K75 car tire yesterday. I didn't find one.  I did due diligence, which is more than you've done. So either find the freakin' tire or accept that there is no freakin' tire and stop wasting everyone's time advocating for something on principle for which there is no practical solution.

If you want to do the smart car mod, then do it and post your detailed experience here. Otherwise, we've already got the link and don't need it again.

You're not getting it -- we are all waiting for you to come through here. You grabbed the big bat and stepped up to the plate, now it's up to you to hit the freakin' ball. But please...stop taking practice swings. You're like Nomar Garciappara who never stops adjusting his damned gloves....

I'm saying exactly was said to you at the beginning of your original thread. You didn't get it then...maybe you'll get it now. It's your baby so stop talking and start walking.
1994/1995 K75 ABS Frankenbike: original engine 136k miles, frame from Gary Weaver (RIP), 173k miles -- Current Odometer: 193k miles
1994 K75 since 2013, 76,000 mi (11k mine) w/California Sidecar Friendship II Sidecar & Black Lab 'Miss B'

Past: 1974 Honda 550/4 (first bike), 1994 K75 (sold), 1995 K75 ABS (parts bike), Sidecar Dog & Best Bud 'Bo' - RIP

Offline K75RT Keith

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
« Reply #51 on: April 18, 2014, 09:44:40 AM »
+10  Motohobo   

cat0020, This thread is regarding the question of Fitting a 18 x 4.5" Rear Wheel.  NOT why cat0020 thinks you should use car tires.  You've  attempted to hijack this thread to push your agenda on a subject that, frankly, most all of us don't have an interest in.  You have posted on this thread nothing that is useful or insightful to fitting a larger wheel. and your comments are therefore not germane to the conversation.
You can't help someone who doesn't want to hear the answer.

1990 K75RT

Offline drut

« Reply #52 on: April 18, 2014, 11:04:34 AM »
"This thread is regarding the question of Fitting a 18 x 4.5" Rear Wheel.  NOT why cat0020 thinks you should use car tires"
Well said!
+1
  • Newcastle upon Tyne UK
  • 1990 K100RS + 1980 Moto Guzzi V50 II + 1971 Aermacchi/HD 350ss
Much older but certainly no wiser!

Offline cat0020

• Motobrick Curious
Re: Fitting a 18 x 4.5" rear wheel 5
« Reply #53 on: April 18, 2014, 11:23:03 AM »
+10  Motohobo   

cat0020, This thread is regarding the question of Fitting a 18 x 4.5" Rear Wheel.  NOT why cat0020 thinks you should use car tires.  You've  attempted to hijack this thread to push your agenda on a subject that, frankly, most all of us don't have an interest in.  You have posted on this thread nothing that is useful or insightful to fitting a larger wheel. and your comments are therefore not germane to the conversation.

And what does your post have to contribute to the topic of this thread?
You may not have interest in using car tire, but it is still a valid suggestion.

"This thread is regarding the question of Fitting a 18 x 4.5" Rear Wheel.  NOT why cat0020 thinks you should use car tires"
Well said!
+1

As usual, the closed minded people who refuse car tire as a possibility for moto usage gang up and ostracize a mere suggestion to the thread.
However many pluses you may give to each other still don't change the fact that your post do not make a suggestion to the topic of this thread, just point out how you may have misunderstood my post.

Offline Bokobob

• I am a 1936 Model
Re: Going "Darkside"..
« Reply #54 on: April 20, 2014, 08:37:57 PM »
I have no dog in the fight.....I am curious about whether anyone has found a car tire that fits the K75?
There will always be two sides (or more) to this argument..

Best wishes to all,

Bob
  • Gastonia, NC
Grace + Peace,
Bob
1995 BMW K75
2104 Honda CB1100 Standard 4 cyl
1994 Honda Magna 750 V4
1996 Kawasaki Vulcan 500

Offline Motorhobo

• +20 years of K75
« Reply #55 on: April 21, 2014, 10:03:56 AM »
I have no dog in the fight.....I am curious about whether anyone has found a car tire that fits the K75?
There will always be two sides (or more) to this argument..

No -- not without a wheel modification I'm not prepared to do. So if you hear of one that fits 130/90 17, let me know, I want one for my hack.
1994/1995 K75 ABS Frankenbike: original engine 136k miles, frame from Gary Weaver (RIP), 173k miles -- Current Odometer: 193k miles
1994 K75 since 2013, 76,000 mi (11k mine) w/California Sidecar Friendship II Sidecar & Black Lab 'Miss B'

Past: 1974 Honda 550/4 (first bike), 1994 K75 (sold), 1995 K75 ABS (parts bike), Sidecar Dog & Best Bud 'Bo' - RIP

Offline johnny

• TrailBrakingThrottleWhacker
  • Whacking...n...Chopping Sliding...n...High Siding
« Reply #56 on: April 25, 2014, 12:36:51 PM »
  • :johnny i parks my 96 eleven hundert rs motobrick in dodge county cheezconsin  :johnny

Offline cat0020

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #57 on: April 29, 2014, 08:09:02 AM »
wants me a new tior

j o

Nice comment from article above:

Donald Smith on June 11th, 2012 10:40 pm

(Although it has spread to other makes and models, this movement appears to have originated among a number of luxury-touring motorcycle riders)
Sorry Eric, but you are wrong about where this all started. While I don’t endorse the practice I do know it’s been going on since at least the 50′s, (probably earlier) with Bobbers & Choppers. Speeds in rural areas averaged more towards the 45 mph range due to road conditions, and the bikes involved. A 45 ci Harley wasn’t very fast, and 50 miles was a hard days riding here in West Virginia. My Dad didn’t use car tires (He was too fast to trust them), but a multitude of his ridding buddies did. In the 60′s I had a bike with a 15″ rear wheel, and tried it too. Seemed to do OK to me at the time, but most of my riding was on gravel, and woodland trails. A skinny V W mud & snow tire, and I never got stuck in the mud.
That was then. Now most bikes have no trouble doing the ton, and beyond. Even my old 650 Yamaha will do 110. Car tires? not anymore, but there was a time back in the good old days when motorcycling was fun & inexpensive.

Offline johnny

« Reply #58 on: April 29, 2014, 01:30:45 PM »
i needs me a car tior... if it works on this ninjer... it should work on a motobrick...

j o
  • :johnny i parks my 96 eleven hundert rs motobrick in dodge county cheezconsin  :johnny

Offline cat0020

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #59 on: April 30, 2014, 03:48:22 PM »

Offline johnny

« Reply #60 on: April 30, 2014, 03:55:24 PM »
im looking at some falkens right now... i will post up when i getts the fitment right... thinking 5 total spacers and all clear...

j o

Offline bocutter Ed

• ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
« Reply #61 on: April 30, 2014, 07:59:58 PM »
I'm thinking we should wager on how long it takes j o to put round corners on a square tior ...
  • Toronto, Canada
  • '61 Puch DS60 - '66 Puch 250 SGS - '87 BMW K75s

Offline johnny

« Reply #62 on: May 02, 2014, 09:16:01 AM »
after a little research... im thinking car tiors front and back... im not having any success finding a 120 70 17 front or a 160 60 18 rear anywhere... any idears...

j o

Offline johnny

« Reply #63 on: May 03, 2014, 12:55:43 AM »

Offline mystic red

• Retired Professsional Driver
« Reply #64 on: May 03, 2014, 08:16:52 AM »
Sweet! I love how the car tires lift better than 3/4 of the way off the pavement when cornering....just like they were designed to do!

Offline CRASH

Re: Fitting a 18 x 4.5" rear wheel 5
« Reply #65 on: May 03, 2014, 11:24:03 AM »
As usual, the closed minded people who refuse car tire as a possibility for moto usage gang up and ostracize ...

As usual, when a Darksider gets called on their incessant raging, they start insulting people. If you were smart, you would not have this battle here, you would just tell people what forum to go to if they are interested in learning about it. Let a forum of "experts" (which is a nice sarcastic euphemism for saying "people that don't understand engineering or physics") help convince and enlighten. But instead you are dead set on changing everyone's mind here all by your little lonesome ... and are woefully under prepared to do so.

Closed minded people? Gang up and ostracize?  So why is it that you can voice your point of view but others are not allowed to voice theirs? You think it is everyone else that doesn't get it ... apparently that includes professionals in the industry as well.  The man just wants you to spend more money so he under engineers motorcycle tires. Yeah, nothing like subjecting themselves to the liabilities involved there.  Maybe it is that people here are just tired of the car tire zealots that clearly have no clue about tire design, engineering, and physics giving anecdotal evidence instead or hard facts and empirical evidence? There are plenty of documents, white papers and articles with interviews of actual tire design engineers explaining why it is not a bright move, looking for you guys to produce the same type of evidence from similar credible sources. But present it like a sane person would, not some religious zealot that repeats himself and says "even though the laws of physics say other wise, I am right".  We don't want to hear about your sisters boyfriends uncle that has used car tires on his hog since he got back from the war. Produce proof, facts and evidence.  You can't, so you don't.  Instead you just yell louder about how your buddy Bubba on forum XYZ does it all the time and then tell people that "don't understand" they are closed minded.  They do understand and can point at facts to back it up.  It is you that doesn't understand - not only about the issue at hand, but how to communicate your position with intelligence.

People do not attack your use of a car tire until YOU bring it up and preach it adnauseum and try and shove it down their throats.  Run a car tire, take what ever risk you want, think you are smarter than in entire industry of highly educated engineers.  The bottom line is, no matter how smart you think you are, if you cannot read the evidence, documentation and understand the physics of why what you do puts you at higher risk, it is you who doesn't get it.  As I said before, because you can does not mean you should.  Putting a glazed donut on your bike as a tire is a "possibility", doesn't mean you should do it.
- CRASH -

Offline Zipster

Re: Fitting a 18 x 4.5" Rear Wheel Witha Car Tior
« Reply #66 on: May 03, 2014, 11:30:51 AM »
+1 on ^^^^^
  • Northern Ireland
  • 1996 K1100 LT SE - sold with 104,500 miles in 2015; 2001 R1150RT - 68,000 miles; 2013 Triumph Trophy SE - 50,000 miles; 2007 Harley Ultra Classic - 50,000 miles (Canada bike for stateside use only)
Add life to your days, not days to your life!

Offline jacksdad1963

« Reply #67 on: May 03, 2014, 01:08:22 PM »
I can just imagine what the insurance firms here in Blighty would say......." He had WHAT on the rear wheel!" END OF CLAIM!  :nono
K1100LT 1995 mystic red
Yamaha XS650 1976 fully restored
a few cars and 4x4's

Offline mystic red

• Retired Professsional Driver
« Reply #68 on: May 03, 2014, 01:28:29 PM »
Goodyear Aviation tire comes close....18x4.4. wonder how long they would last? They look more like a M/C tire that a car tire....

Offline jacksdad1963

« Reply #69 on: May 03, 2014, 01:48:00 PM »
I reckon a car tyre is more than strong enough to cope with the forces generated by a bike, as stated earlier, a car puts much more load on the sidewalls of its tyres than a bike ever could  :2thumbup:
BUT...what happens when it rains, or you come across a  stream of water midway round a bend? Car tyres work in the wet by forcing water out from underneath and through the tread...not going to happen if only the outside of the tyre is touching the ground!
Might not be an issue in some places of course, but it certainly is in England!  :hehehe
K1100LT 1995 mystic red
Yamaha XS650 1976 fully restored
a few cars and 4x4's

Offline cat0020

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #70 on: May 03, 2014, 10:31:31 PM »
Learn to corner with minimal bike lean

Offline Snowy

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #71 on: May 04, 2014, 03:31:15 AM »
I reckon a car tyre is more than strong enough to cope with the forces generated by a bike, as stated earlier, a car puts much more load on the sidewalls of its tyres than a bike ever could  :2thumbup:
BUT...what happens when it rains, or you come across a  stream of water midway round a bend? Car tyres work in the wet by forcing water out from underneath and through the tread...not going to happen if only the outside of the tyre is touching the ground!
Might not be an issue in some places of course, but it certainly is in England!  :hehehe

Agreed, plus I know how the handling on my bike goes off when the rear has started to square off so I cannot see how a car tyre could cope over here either. Its probably illegal as well so your bike wouldn't pass the annual MOT inspection. Not for me.
  • Marlborough, UK
  • 1994 K1100RS & 2008 R1200GSA & 1980 CB900FA

Offline racinrich

« Reply #72 on: May 04, 2014, 05:33:29 PM »
I like it ,maybe coker can do wide white walls on both sides
1993 k1100 lt silk blue
des plaines ill
USA

Offline Kyle10

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #73 on: May 05, 2014, 08:28:19 PM »
Goodyear Aviation tire comes close....18x4.4. wonder how long they would last? They look more like a M/C tire that a car tire....

New Subject: Going to the Cessna Side

Great...
1985 K100rt
1983 Honda VF750F

98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road.
The other 2% made it home.

Offline cat0020

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #74 on: May 06, 2014, 08:01:52 AM »
I can just imagine what the insurance firms here in Blighty would say......." He had WHAT on the rear wheel!" END OF CLAIM!  :nono

Insurance company only care about getting paid, if the fault is not on you, they process the claim just the same.

Tags: