Author Topic: 1987 K100 Fuel Pump Puzzle  (Read 4852 times)

Offline keatent

• Curious
1987 K100 Fuel Pump Puzzle
« on: October 06, 2015, 08:49:42 PM »
First off, the amount of information out there on these motorcycles has allowed me to keep this one going for quite some time.  Thanks for all of the info and help and effort to keep these guys alive!

I replaced the fuel pump recently on my 87 K100.  The fuel pump was confirmed bad by a test outside of the tank.  There was nothing that was concerning before the fuel pump went out, it just went out suddenly while merging on the highway.  Replacement was tested outside the tank before install and proved to be working.  I get it all reassembled, key turns everything on, starter cranks, but no whrrrr.  Open the fuel tank and see that the pump isn't functioning.  I have dug into many of the articles in this vein and haven't found anything similar.  When disconnected, the two leads to the fuel pump on the 4 pin under tank connector shows 12VDC with the starter cranking and 0VDC with no start button pushed.  I can jumper (only the fuel pump power wires) directly from the female side to the male side and the bike will start (basically skipping the two level sender connections).  I opened the tank up last night and nothing on the inside or outside of that connection is fishy.  I went through the  fuel sender troubleshooting document out there, cleaned things up and reassembled.  Still the problem persists! 

The one clue I have is when I keep the connector connected and test straight to the wires inside the tank going to the fuel pump, they are -12VDC at no starter and 0 VDC at starter button depressed.

What does the root of the problem sound like to you?  I'm deeply confused and feel so close to the solution, but it still is escaping me.  Do I just need to cut the fuel sender wires?!  I'd hate to do that by principle more than anything else.....

Thanks for any help offered.

Offline rbm

• ^ Quintessential Motobricker
Re: 1987 K100 Fuel Pump Puzzle
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2015, 09:11:49 PM »
The fact that things work when you jumper the fuel power (Green/White) and ground (Brown) indicates a failing connector pair.  It might not look fishy, but the connector pins are not mating when the connector is assembled.  The first thing to do is replace the 4-pin connector.  What is popular is to use a trailer connector.  An alternative is to purchase a AMP Superseal connector from an aftermarket auto supply shop like Napa.

The fuel sender wiring is totally independant of the fuel pump wiring so refurbishing the sender would not have contributed anything to solving the failing pump.
  • Regards, Robert
Toronto, Ontario

1987 K75 - Build Blog @http://k75retro.blogspot.ca/

Offline keatent

• Curious
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2015, 09:25:14 AM »
Ha.  Thank you.  I will give it a shot and keep updated.

Offline The Mighty Gryphon

• Administrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2015, 10:07:03 AM »
That connector is a P.O.S.  My 92 K100RS would shut down at speed because the connector stopped conducting power.  Happened about 5 times before I managed to get the contacts clean enough with Deoxit to have the thing run reliably.

While I haven't done it yet, the next time it shuts down I'm doing the 4 wire SAE connector(AKA trailer connector). 
  • In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:
'91 K100RS16V "Moby Brick Too"

Past:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'92 K100RS16V "Moby Brick" (RIP, deceased in a vehicular assault)
'94 K75S Special Edition Dakar Yellow "Cheetos"
'89 K100RS Special Edition "Special Ed"

Offline keatent

• Curious
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2015, 06:31:28 PM »
That was it!  Thanks for your help rbm!   

I feel stupid for not even considering that.  I had actually futzed with the female connections to make them tighter, and because that didn't change the nature of the problem I had eliminated it as a source. 

My bike now has a trailer connector on it.  BMW would be outraged, but the K lives to run another day!  Now for a celebratory ride....

Mighty Gryphon, best of luck.  It took me 30 minutes maybe....

Tags: