Author Topic: Another K100 followed me home  (Read 23163 times)

Offline roninvt

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
  • free range, cage free
Re: Another K100 followed me home
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2014, 09:20:37 PM »
Hi bomber737,  have you tried any of the dynamic balancing products?  I have used dyna beads with great results...
1990 K75C
1993 K1100RS

Offline bomber737

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2014, 12:28:25 AM »
Hey, funny you should say that but I just ordered 20oz of those Dyna beads just this morning.  I started rebuilding my my forks, I did find out that the springs in them are the OEM springs so I ordered a set of progressive's.  I pulled the whole thing apart and getting the lower damping rod back in with that darn washer/seal thing was a real p.i.a.  Getting that back in properly took as long to get in as it did to pull them apart.  I wire brushed the fork lowers so they look as nice as the rear end did.  I plan to paint them once I get the new seals back in.   

Now I am trying to replace the fork seals and I can't find/figure out how/where the retainer clip is.  I have basically destroyed all the rubber and I am left with what looks like a metal ring that seems to have no split or notch to get it out.  Can anyone help me with a picture of what I am looking for so I can replace these seals?

BTW hows the skiing been out there?  You guys have been getting lots of snow lately. 

Offline Inge K.

• ^ Quintessential Motobricker
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2014, 03:20:06 PM »
Now I am trying to replace the fork seals and I can't find/figure out how/where the retainer clip is.

It isn't any retainer clip(s) above the seal(s) on a -85.
  • Norway

Offline bomber737

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2014, 08:33:14 PM »
Ok thanks, I will change my strategy when removing that fork seal.  Perhaps a little heat will help loosen it up.  I have been working on the rear main seal and I got it out no problem.  Now I am wondering if I purchased the updated seal or not.  The old one looks completely than the new one.  I have been told that I might have purchased the wrong one though.  I also concerned I messed something up when I was removing the last part of the clutch.  I had to use my 3 armed gear puller and while I was pulling the clutch part I heard a pop and when I got it off I looked inside there and the guide in the center of the output shaft had moved back into the shaft about 2mm.  Will this be a problem when I reassemble the clutch?  Should I try and pull it forward and make it flush with the shaft like it was? 

Offline bomber737

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2014, 09:58:18 AM »
Well I finally had more time to work on the brick.  I got almost all the parts I have been waiting for.  I got the new rear main seal installed and the clutch remounted with a new oring.  I tried to mark all the clutch parts well and I think I got it back together just the way it came off.  I measured the clutch plate and it was 5mm so it was well with in tolerance.  I am glad I purchased the alignment tool, it made it so much easier to do the job.  I got the trany re-installed with some help from the girlfriend.  I give her rubber gloves so she isn't against helping  :2thumbup:.  I could not find the BMW alignment tools any where for sale so I improvised, I found out that the studs for my snowmobile head are long enough and the right thread so I used 4 of those and with just a little coaxing the trany went right in.  Now I know the splines are all lubed properly and should be good for a long time.  I had time so I started cleaning the engine.  I found that the sensor behind the airbox did not have the leads attached.  So I removed it and cleaned the contacts and tightened the clips, they wont fall off now.  I don't have my new throttle cable yet, should be here this week but well see.  I did get the new clutch cable mounted.  I am so glad I bagged all the small parts.  I got the new radiator hoses installed also,  I am still having trouble feeding the one through the crank cover.  Is there a trick to getting this one in?

I replaced the head bearings and races and mounted the handle bar mounts.  I also got the frame re-installed and the handlebars. Now at least the left side control is all done and the clutch works great.  I am not sure what to do about the poor looks of the buttons on the controls, they look very sun faded and the lettering is all but gone.   

I started working on cleaning up the engine since the rear end looks so nice I cant have the engine be so grimy. Most of the wire brushing is done on the left side and front but I need to get a softer brush for the final cleaning.  I will be painting side covers as I remove them to replace seals and check the valves

I have been reading about the hotter (Euro) cams that were installed in the 85's and was asked to look at the numbers on mine when I look at the valves.  From my readings it seems the cams dont have numbers stamped on them and the ones with the euro cams did not have a breather on the font of the engine.  My bike does have this breather but its blanked off.  So I am not sure what I have.  Any help here from the learned members of the forum?

I was looking through the boxes of parts I have from my RS and I noticed that the rear disk was drilled.  Is this a feature of the RS?  My RT disk is not drilled.  I have the service history for the RS from 25,000 miles and it seems that the gauge cluster was replaced at one time and the trany also.  I am guessing no spline lube = new trany.  I would like to put the  better tach in the gauges I will be using on this project since it has a nice gear indicator.  Is this easy to accomplish?  I am planning on drilling a hole in both clusters to prevent condensation and taking them apart to clean all the contacts as per the tutorial I have.  I did notice the parts bike gauge cluster does not have the 7L light and it mounts different.  I am guessing this is a newer style.

Offline bomber737

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2014, 10:30:11 AM »
Back at it yesterday.  I got the forks rebuilt and installed progressive springs.  I made them the same length as the stock springs so I am sure I will have to fiddle with them to get the sag correct when the bike is back on 2 wheels.  I primed them and painted them so they now look as good as the rear end.  I also got the battery tray and holder sand blasted and painted.  Really looks nice, now if I can keep battery acid off it it will stay looking good.  My new throttle cable finally arrived, or more accurately I finally got home from work and got it installed.  The grease on the handle bar sleve was old and sticky so I pulled that and got new grease in there.  Works nice and smooth now.  I also got the right side control re-installed and adjusted, I am still not happy with the washed out color and lack of labeling on the controls but I will have to deal with that at a later date. 

Offline bomber737

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2014, 04:39:39 PM »
The work continues on, I got the swing arm and rear diff re-mounted and also the rear tire. I am very pleased with the way it looks.  I am using dyna beads for tire balance and those things are a real pain to get in the tire.  I would up using 3 feet of clear 1/4" fuel line so I could watch the rate they were going in.  more than once did they plug up the valve stem.  So my advise if you are going to use beads put them inside the tire before you seat the bead or pour very slowly.  I am sure some of you are going to bash my tire choice but before you do I have used these kenda challengers on a few other bikes and I have found that they wear well and have good traction, even in rain.  I have a set on my Suzuki GS1000 and these bikes weigh roughly the same.  So far they have lasted 6500 miles and I will be running them for 1 more season on that bike.  If they wear out faster on the K I will try something different.  I have the wire loom installed and started getting it in the correct place and I put the airbox back in not realizing I needed to get the foam heat things installed first.  So next time I work on it I will have to pull the airbox and get it placed.  Ii am a little concerned that it might brake, it is quite thin in the middle so well see.  I am continuing brushing the engine cases and I am almost done with them.  I think a nice coat of autosol will keep them shinny until I can get them painted.  I cleaned the side and center stand and found the paint to be in great shape so I just re-installed it and called it lovely.  Next week I hope to get the wire loom sorted and brushing all done so I can install the forks and fire the bike up.  I am not sure why I am in a hurry since when I left yesterday it was -16 degrees and we still have 3 feet of snow. 

Tags: