Author Topic: Hydraulic clutch conversion  (Read 2456 times)

Offline MEZ

• Never surrender always busy
  • ^ Proficient Motobricker
  • once dead soon forgotten dream big aim high
Hydraulic clutch conversion
« on: May 07, 2020, 02:10:08 AM »
Hello Brickers, have some patience and read on please, a bit long winded but I needs your helps (for you that Johnny..!!). Basically I have had a Magura hydraulic slave cylinder in place for last 4 years while building my project bike (K75gsa) and it has just failed quite epically. We are going to fit a Wilwood unit (of USA origin) which is a bit more up to the job. My quandary is this, nothing to do with hydraulics, we'll sort that out when the unit arrives. We are going to retain the cable option as a fail safe 'get me home' standby if the hydraulic syatem fails whilst travelling. The cable will sit in place and be implemented roadside should it be needed.
In place currently is a BMW R1200GSA '2006' master cylinder. What I need to know, what BMW cable operated clutch lever assembly will fit on the bars whereby I can retain the top clamp half from the current R1200GSA fitted..?? Reason being is that I don't loose the fitting aspect of the hand guards and replacement is a two bolt affair roadside. SO GENTS (and ladies) any Brickers out there that have an '06,'07 or '08 1200GS and an older Beemer with cable clutch and can offer up the top clamps for comparison ???? Basically I need to know if the thread centres are the same and it holds firm ???? Hope this made sense....
  • Angel of the North
  • GS12adv '06, K75 GSadv, CRF500L 'special'

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
Re: Hydraulic clutch conversion
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2020, 07:23:12 AM »
Photos would help here, MEZ.
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.
https://tinyurl.com/RillRider

Offline MEZ

• Never surrender always busy
  • once dead soon forgotten dream big aim high
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2020, 12:17:05 AM »
Sorry no photo's again Laitch but another clutch related (BMW) question if I may. I'm using a high end Wilwood clutch slave cylinder on my K75 build ( The Magura unit failed) which has a 7/8" piston bore. Anyone on here extremely knowledgeable on bmw clutch master cylinder piston sizes and can get me as close to 22mm as possible. Brembo do a 19mm with 18/20 variable setting click adjuster but I'd prefer to keep within the bmw brand and buy a 2nd hand unit.  19mm anyone...???
  • Angel of the North
  • GS12adv '06, K75 GSadv, CRF500L 'special'

Offline DJEwen

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2020, 04:57:15 AM »
 :useless
  • Scotland
  • 1985 K100 'Revive', 1987 K100 LT

Offline k

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2020, 08:48:25 PM »
I'm not a fan of hydraulic clutches. Cables work fine and have much less maintenance.
  • Indiana
  • 1985 K100

Tags: