Author Topic: 50/50 coolant vs straight water  (Read 5033 times)

Offline CrashBar

• ^ Motobrick Curious
50/50 coolant vs straight water
« on: May 27, 2011, 06:36:11 PM »
So it is 85 here in Boston and stop and go traffic gets me near to the red and fan running pretty easy.  

Any advantage to running straight water in terms of heat transfer?  Maybe delay the need for running the fan (for which I have a manual switch wired into the relay to trigger)?

I also kill my engine at traffic lights.  I convinced a pedestrian at a light today that my bike was a hybrid, that's why it was so quiet at a light (sadly, this is prius central here).
  • Boston MA
  • 1993 K1100 LT
....to trade in these wings on some wheels...

1993 K1100 LT (143,000 miles and counting)
1973 CB350F / 1978 CB550K / 1973 TR5T

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
Re: 50/50 coolant vs straight water
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2011, 06:42:26 PM »
The fan and thermostat are still going to be triggered at the same temperatures. 

One of the advantages of running coolant is that it has anti-corrosion additives.

You might experiment with a 30/70 or 20/80 mix.  (You do use distilled water, right?)

FYI: I run Redline Water Wetter in my bikes to improve heat transfer. (Not that I think it does anything material but I can do three bikes with an $8 bottle and figure it can't hurt.)
Once I had a Collie pup. Dug a hole and covered him up. Now I sit there by the hour. Waiting for a Collie-flower.
New to K bikes? Click here.
K Bike Maintenance & Mods: Click here.
Buy parts here.

Offline CubPilot

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2011, 11:02:19 PM »
You are much better off using a coolant.   The boiling point of water (the temp that it begins to vaporize) is 212 F.  When you make steam the cooling system pressures rise very rapidly, not good on soft rubber hoses.  Coolant at different solutions raises this point and at the same time reduces the surface tension of water.   Less surface tension allows the liquid better contact with the cooling jackets in the engine and thus better heat transfer.    By using distilled water you are eliminating dissolved minerals that come out of solution with water as temps go up and no additional chemicals.   Chlorides are hard of metals especially aluminum.  for what it's worth.

Offline johnny

• TrailBrakingThrottleWhacker
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
  • Whacking...n...Chopping Sliding...n...High Siding
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2011, 12:46:11 AM »
i score peak diesel 50 / 50 prediluted n fill it up till it wont take no more... then run it up real hot and the excess flows out the wizz tube...

when you peak you win...

j o
  • :johnny i parks my 96 eleven hundert rs motobrick in dodge county cheezconsin  :johnny

Tags: