Author Topic: ABS Fault  (Read 10958 times)

Offline leecow

• ^ Motobrick Curious
ABS Fault
« on: May 23, 2011, 05:51:28 PM »
ABS/Brake light have started blinking happily together. Assuming that the following flash pattern ("____" is the light steady on) is read as a '6' are there any things to be verified before going after the big blue ABS relay (http://www.k11og.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2110)?

____ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ____ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ____

Have there been any successes rehabilitating dodgy relays? I would presume that testing a relay is as simple as locating the correct pins and direct connecting to the battery with a fused jumper wire?
Lee
'93 K1100RS

Offline johnny

• TrailBrakingThrottleWhacker
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
  • Whacking...n...Chopping Sliding...n...High Siding
Re: ABS Fault
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 06:01:31 PM »
wanna make sure i understand...

speedo side abs light n tach side abs light are flashing together at the same time as opposed to flashing alternately as you are riding down the road... is that right...

j o
  • :johnny i parks my 96 eleven hundert rs motobrick in dodge county cheezconsin  :johnny

Offline leecow

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 07:08:41 PM »
Affirmative ... flashing together.
Lee
'93 K1100RS

Offline johnny

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 07:24:39 PM »
i gotts to tell ya mine were alternating... every time i would reset it i would get a sensor failure... i swapped sensors and it took 301 reset attempts before it took... here is the kicker... every time it reset it would go from alternating to simultaneously before it turned a wheel... then once rolling it would go back to alternating...

motobrick abs is a freaky deal... frankenduck will be back soon.... i bet he has a relay... then comes the ominous task of resetting...

j o

• :johnny i parks my 96 eleven hundert rs motobrick in dodge county cheezconsin  :johnny

Offline leecow

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2011, 07:30:16 PM »
Yeah, I get from reading other's experiences that sacrificing chickens or other hoodoo is generally necessary to get the thing to behave.

Fault started after a ride where I hit a bit of gravel in a corner at low speed and the rear wheel kicked out a bit. Nothing too exciting but that kinda thing always has a non-zero pucker factor.
Lee
'93 K1100RS

Offline johnny

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2011, 07:38:21 PM »
commence to resetting...

i tried every weekend for 6 months to reset the bug... then one sunday i decided defeat was looming on the horizon n i just couldnt take it anymore...

so i kept going... for hours.... at 300 i was ready to accept defeat... butts i said to myself just 1 more time and im done... it took... been no looking back since...

at least you can roll it into the frankengarage and swap ch1t out if need be... butts i betts it just needs a reset to take...

good luck...

j o

Offline leecow

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2011, 07:40:15 PM »
Maybe I could invent an ABS reset drinking game to pass the time ...
Lee
'93 K1100RS

Offline mystic red

• Retired Professsional Driver
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2011, 09:21:46 PM »
Been there also, once....try different series, i.e. ground blah, blah,blag then not ground blah, blah, then push button and blah, blah, blah. Only took me 43 times and it reset. Just try every conceivable order and one may work

Offline orforester

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2011, 11:53:27 PM »
Ok, so my 89 K 100 RS se is doing the same thing, flashing the ABS and Brake light together.  Hitting the switch makes it stop for ten minutes, then back it comes.  I have tried the Ducker method of grounding the middle sensor and holding the ABS switch down for 30 seconds with ignition on, about 20 times, no luck.

So if I get you guys right, do this up to 300 times and it may work?  I have replaced the brake bulbs twice and they work great....really 300 times??

Bob
Bob
1989 K 100 RS se (SOLD)
1985 K 100 RS, now RT
1979 XS 650 Yamaha Street Tracker
2008 R 1200RT

Offline leecow

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2011, 12:44:55 AM »
I think everyone is saying that the ABS reset procedure may not be consistently successful at clearing the stored ABS fault from the Motronic cache. Reading the last stored fault code with an LED works everytime. Getting it cleared out to either a no fault state or to the next unresolved ABS fault code has proven to be less deterministic than we would like. I'm still hunting for my first successful reset.

Perhaps the very expensive BMW diagnostic tool which was built to do the job is more reliable ::)
Lee
'93 K1100RS

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2011, 01:03:30 AM »
You have ABS I on a 93. Do not take advice from undereducated Liberal Arts major/Teamster moderators who only have experience with ABS II.

(We can hook up some day locally and I will help you diagnose things.)
Once I had a Collie pup. Dug a hole and covered him up. Now I sit there by the hour. Waiting for a Collie-flower.
New to K bikes? Click here.
K Bike Maintenance & Mods: Click here.
Buy parts here.

Offline johnny

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2011, 01:27:19 AM »
greetings orforester...

welcome to motobrick.com...

a highly skilled and enormously experienced non-union motobrick expert told me every time you start n roll that moe it will store a fault n many consecutive reset attempts were necessary in some cases...

if you reset n roll you dont accomplish anything... so i reset 9 times n reset n rolled on the 10th to see it it took... i did disconnect the battery that day for about an hour before i started resetting it... i dont now if that mattered... butts 301 total attempts that day worked for me...

j o

Agree Agree x 1 View List

Offline mystic red

• Retired Professsional Driver
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2011, 08:56:42 PM »
I'm impressed that you kept track of the total, johnny o. So you're sayin, that I only rolled the bike 43 times before attempting a reset? Interesting theory and if true procrastination does not pay with ABS. ;)

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2011, 09:48:49 PM »
Johnny: The Motronic is what stores multiple faults, not the ABS control units.  Go back to racing tiny cars.
Once I had a Collie pup. Dug a hole and covered him up. Now I sit there by the hour. Waiting for a Collie-flower.
New to K bikes? Click here.
K Bike Maintenance & Mods: Click here.
Buy parts here.

Tags: