Author Topic: Ok, What Did I Do?  (Read 9873 times)

Offline BexarWolf

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
  • 1994 K1100RS - Rubik
Ok, What Did I Do?
« on: June 13, 2013, 07:36:32 PM »
FToday I decided to drain/fill the antifreeze on my 94 K1100RS. I've had the bike for a year and I wasn't sure when it was done last. Oil/filter change was next on the list.

I have a Clymer manual and couldn't really tell where the drain plug was even using the supplemental info in the back so I disconnected the lower radiator hose to drain from there. I dribbled in the new antifreeze, taking time to let it drain down each time. When it got to the neck and stopped draining down, I stopped. I also drained and refilled the overflow tank.

Following Clymer's, I left the radiator cap off and started the bike. I was watching for the thermostat to open and take down the fluid so I could refill it. As the temp gauge climbed, I kept watching. Then when it got to the point that I figured it should open, the radiator fluid started dancing. Then it got to the point where it was blowing out of the radiator! It wasn't Ol' Faithful but it was blowing pretty good. The fluid started going down some but not consistently. It'd go down, come back up, blow out and go back down some. I rode this bike all last year in the Texas heat and it never over-heated so I only assume the thermostat is good.

So I popped the radiator cap back on figuring I'd top it off again in the morning after it cools down. Then I find this stuff dripping out from under the bike.

It's thicker than motor oil and I haven't changed that yet. Did I blow a transmission seal? Is it an overflow if the engine gets too hot? The fan had just kicked on when I shut it off so it never got into the red on the temp gauge.

Have I wounded my Rubik??
Sit tall in the saddle, hold your head up high. Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky. Live like you ain't afraid to die. Don't be scared. Just enjoy the ride. ~ Chris LeDoux

Offline johnny

• TrailBrakingThrottleWhacker
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
  • Whacking...n...Chopping Sliding...n...High Siding
Re: Ok, What Did I Do?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2013, 09:17:32 PM »
greetings bexarwolf

the stuff on the ground... what does it taste like... antifreeze or gear oil...

j o
  • :johnny i parks my 96 eleven hundert rs motobrick in dodge county cheezconsin  :johnny

Offline BexarWolf

• 1994 K1100RS - Rubik
Re: Re: Ok, What Did I Do?
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2013, 10:07:37 PM »
greetings bexarwolf

the stuff on the ground... what does it taste like... antifreeze or gear oil...

j o

Definitely not antifreeze so I have to assume it's either gear oil or transmission fluid. Seemed to thin to be gear oil but I haven't dealt with any in a long time.

I just can't understand how something not related to the radiator would just start puking like that. The bike never got into redline on the temp gauge, it wasn't in gear and was at idle the entire time.
Sit tall in the saddle, hold your head up high. Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky. Live like you ain't afraid to die. Don't be scared. Just enjoy the ride. ~ Chris LeDoux

Offline Grim

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2013, 10:34:28 PM »
It's possible that some hot coolant flushed some oil out of the bellhousing after running off the top of the block.
1995 Morea Green K1100LT

Offline BexarWolf

• 1994 K1100RS - Rubik
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2013, 10:41:46 PM »
It's possible that some hot coolant flushed some oil out of the bellhousing after running off the top of the block.

Interesting theory. I did have coolant running down the side of the engine during the last part of the fiasco but how would that flush oil out of the bell housing? I assumed the engine/transmission/final drive were designed to hold fluid unless a seal leaked or a drain was opened? Obviously I need to know more about this bike.

Offline Scott_

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2013, 11:01:16 PM »
Gear oil will have a definite sulfur odor to it as opposed to motor oil.
Looking at where the drips are dropping off of the exhaust cat converter, I'd look at the rubber boot at the clutch arm/rod bearing area.
Could be just coincidental, but that boot is right above that spot.

There is a drain hole in the bottom of the bell housing but it is forward of the center stand, and your puddle is most definitely behind the stand.
  • My Garage
1995 K1100LT 0302044
1997 R1100RT ZC62149
2017 FLHTK Ultra Limited
1997 K1100LT 0302488 (R.I.P.)
"One who does not ask questions is ashamed to learn" Danish proverb

Offline BexarWolf

• 1994 K1100RS - Rubik
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2013, 11:21:21 PM »
Gear oil will have a definite sulfur odor to it as opposed to motor oil.
Looking at where the drips are dropping off of the exhaust cat converter, I'd look at the rubber boot at the clutch arm/rod bearing area.
Could be just coincidental, but that boot is right above that spot.

There is a drain hole in the bottom of the bell housing but it is forward of the center stand, and your puddle is most definitely behind the stand.

I'll go give it the sniff test. I'm 99% sure it's not motor oil because the viscosity was thicker than what I would imagine  be at operating temps.

I still can't figure what would have caused it if nothing was being manipulated while the bike was running.

Offline BexarWolf

• 1994 K1100RS - Rubik
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2013, 11:49:26 PM »
Crawled under and found this. I'm assuming/hoping this is where the leak came from. If so, the next question is: Is it something critical and in need of repair/replacement?

Offline Scott_

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2013, 11:58:36 PM »
Yep, that's what I was talking about.
Yes you should replace it.

It does contain trans gear oil to keep the clutch rod bearing lubricated. If you don't replace it, it will continue to leak and get dirt into the clutch rod bearing and ruin it.

You will probably have to remove the exhaust and that clutch actuator arm to replace the boot, just to make it easier.
Just bad from age/flexing.
  • My Garage
1995 K1100LT 0302044
1997 R1100RT ZC62149
2017 FLHTK Ultra Limited

Offline BexarWolf

• 1994 K1100RS - Rubik
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2013, 12:33:40 AM »
I've heard a rumor that it can be done without removing the exhaust and I'd only want to go that route due to the fact that any time I try to do something simple on any bike I've ever owned, it turns into a wallet-emptying experience as other things begin to pop up. I know, I know. Better to fix all the stuff now than when it breaks on the road but man...........I wanna RIDE!

However, thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Seems the boot is about $38. I'm just wondering how many partial days I'm going to be sweating my ball-bearings off in the garage.  :dunno

Offline Scott_

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2013, 06:45:12 AM »
If you decide to remove the exhaust, beware that there are 4 copper "crush" sealing washers/gaskets at each of the headers where it make contact with the cyl head. Some riders have had good experience removing the exhaust and re-installing without needed to replace those gaskets, others not so lucky and have replaced them as they wouldn't seal.
As long as you are going to order the rubber boot you may as well get the exhaust gaskets as well. You will need them at some point and time in the future.
Part # 11 62 7 662 083    GASKET RING - C32X40  for less than 2.50 each.

As sure as you don't have them, you will need them........... :2thumbup:
  • My Garage
1995 K1100LT 0302044
1997 R1100RT ZC62149
2017 FLHTK Ultra Limited

Offline BexarWolf

• 1994 K1100RS - Rubik
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2013, 12:14:48 PM »
If you decide to remove the exhaust, beware that there are 4 copper "crush" sealing washers/gaskets at each of the headers where it make contact with the cyl head. Some riders have had good experience removing the exhaust and re-installing without needed to replace those gaskets, others not so lucky and have replaced them as they wouldn't seal.
As long as you are going to order the rubber boot you may as well get the exhaust gaskets as well. You will need them at some point and time in the future.
Part # 11 62 7 662 083    GASKET RING - C32X40  for less than 2.50 each.

As sure as you don't have them, you will need them........... :2thumbup:

Yup, that was my plan. I'm looking through Clymer's and other threads to see what all I'll need and what all I can take care of while I'm in that deep anyway. The bike has 42k miles and the spline lube was done at 25k so...........

Offline BexarWolf

• 1994 K1100RS - Rubik
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2013, 09:27:33 PM »
Ok, picked up the rest of the parts yesterday. I hope to start disassembly within the next few days. Any suggestions what else to deal with while I have the rear tire and exhaust off? May as well deal with any other issues while I'm in there.

Still need to top off the antifreeze and change the oil/filter which started all this in the first place. O0

Offline billday

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2013, 08:00:59 PM »
While you're in there, carefully disassemble, clean and grease the pin that your clutch arm rotates on, number 11 in this pic:

http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fiche/Diagrams/B0000512.png?v=04302013

Made a world of difference in my riding life.
  • New York State, USA 10977
  • 1985 K100

Offline BexarWolf

• 1994 K1100RS - Rubik
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2013, 12:09:01 PM »
Sounds like a worthwhile project while I'm in there. Thanks!

Tags: