Author Topic: Need Speaker help for my 88 K100LT.  (Read 4073 times)

Offline Opus

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
  • 1988 K100 LT
Need Speaker help for my 88 K100LT.
« on: June 18, 2013, 01:01:39 AM »
Need information on replacement Speaker for my K100.
Has anyone here replaced then and what size did you use?
I'm trying to keep the  speakers the same size as what is in there now.

Thanks
Opus
Toney

1988 BMW K100LT (Current Project Bike)
1982 Honda GW 1100 I (Sold and will be missed)
1975 Honda CB550F [MOD] (Sold)
196x Sears Allstate 250 (Traded in for CB550F)

Offline Opus

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
  • 1988 K100 LT
Re: Need Speaker help for my 88 K100LT.
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2013, 10:41:28 AM »
Okay, since it looks like I'm on my own on this topic. LOL

I found a pair of Rockford Fosgate  Prime 2 way, 4in. (Model R142) that can use the Org. mounts and covers.
I could even use the org. speaker wires and connections.

Power rated @ 25W RMS / 50W PEAK. Priced at $56.00 per set.(Plus Tax)

The only issue I have found was mounting the Left Speaker next to the Org. BMW antenna.
It is a close fit and you have to turn it just right so the speaker connections are not on the same  side as the  antenna for it to mount flush.

The sound is better than the Org. BMW Speakers, and you do get some better BASS out of them, but not by much.

So if you are looking to upgrade your Speakers on your K100LT here is something to look at.

So now my next Projekt will be to add a Subwoofer and small amp.

Opus!

Update:
The main reason I had swapped out the Speakers was that the ORG. BMW Head Unit went Poof then BEEP and stopped working. ( it was 25 years old :beatdeadhorse:)
I had a newer/used JVC CD player with aux inputs that fit the BMW mounts so I just replaced the Head unit. After doing that it was clear that the old speakers would not standup to the JVC's output.
Well yesterday I got to take a ride and try the CD player and it was skipping so bad that it is almost useless! Also the lack of a hard wire remote just makes it that much harder to control while riding.
I'm going to be shopping around for a new Head Unit that uses a SD card &/or USB to play MP3 files and also has a hardware remote and Aux input(s) and no CD Player.
Any Suggestions would help. Looking mainly at Marine Based Units as they are designed to take more punishment and are more water resistant.
Later!
Opus
Toney

1988 BMW K100LT (Current Project Bike)
1982 Honda GW 1100 I (Sold and will be missed)
1975 Honda CB550F [MOD] (Sold)
196x Sears Allstate 250 (Traded in for CB550F)

Tags: