Author Topic: Modificatoins  (Read 15846 times)

Offline Angus gentleman

• Motobrick Curious
Modificatoins
« on: May 23, 2013, 10:33:47 PM »
Three questions ! No four ! What's the best ecu tweek ie better performance ???
How hard is it to swap the side stand to the right ???? I know that would mess with a motorcycle parking bays !!!! Lol . can you fit upside down forks to a k100 ? If so which ones ! Finally where can I get a belly pan they seem to be like rocking horse shit .

Offline Scott_

• Administrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
Re: Modificatoins
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2013, 10:43:21 PM »
Haven't heard of one.
Have heard on a rider doing the side stand conversion but don't remember which forum it was on and it was over 5 yrs ago.
Why would you want to.
Bike breaker's, flea-bay, CL, IBMWR want adds, just a few ideas.
  • My Garage
1995 K1100LT 0302044
1997 R1100RT ZC62149
2017 FLHTK Ultra Limited
1997 K1100LT 0302488 (R.I.P.)
"One who does not ask questions is ashamed to learn" Danish proverb

Offline Angus gentleman

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2013, 10:53:30 PM »
Put the side stand on the right and it stops the oil running up the valve stems and making lots of smoke ! It's a inherent problem with k100s

Offline Chaos

• Administrator
  • Mars needs women!
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2013, 11:19:32 PM »
Actually, the oil sneaks through the rings.  Keep the oil level in the bottom half of the sight glass, and lean the bike to the right for 10 sec or so after you shut it off.  That helps, I alway make sure I have a clear getaway before I start the bike so I don't have to deal with folks who don't appreciate my mosquito fogger.
  • sw ohio
1987 K75S    VIN 0231
Original owner, Original litter
200,000 miles (plus or minus) and 5 paint jobs
sold 6/23
2023 Ural 2WD sidecar (BMW's bastard step child)

Offline sembrando

• ^ Motobrick Curious
  • Started on a Beemer...Never looked back.
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2013, 12:03:12 AM »
I usually end up just using the side stand since I park in an underground lot. I don't think upside down forks would be much of an option (even if there was a good reason to do it) because of the fender and calipers. Although any elimination of weight would probably be the best performance modification you could do.
  • Central WI
"Sandra" 1986 K75RT now Standard 100,000+ miles (odo on the fritz).

Offline rbm

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2013, 06:05:05 AM »
Front forks:  http://k75projeckt.wordpress.com/ for a blog about a guy who replaced the front end on his K75 with one from a Suzuki GSX-R 1100. 

Also this:
  • Regards, Robert
Toronto, Ontario

1987 K75 - Build Blog @http://k75retro.blogspot.ca/

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2013, 02:34:05 AM »
Actually, the oil sneaks through the rings.  Keep the oil level in the bottom half of the sight glass, and lean the bike to the right for 10 sec or so after you shut it off.  That helps, I alway make sure I have a clear getaway before I start the bike so I don't have to deal with folks who don't appreciate my mosquito fogger.

How does keeping the oil level in the sump in the bottom half of the sight glass keep oil from seeping past the rings?  Just curious as to what the "logic" is here.
Once I had a Collie pup. Dug a hole and covered him up. Now I sit there by the hour. Waiting for a Collie-flower.
New to K bikes? Click here.
K Bike Maintenance & Mods: Click here.
Buy parts here.

Offline Brad-Man

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2013, 06:43:17 PM »
I would suspect that at that level of oil when the bike is level, that when it is on the side stand, the oil does not go past the bottom edge of the cylinder and down past the rings...
  • Marietta, GA
  • '85 K100
Toys don't make the Man - Man makes the Toys...
'74 RD350
'75 RD350 w/Modified 400 engine, Chambers & MZB iggy

Offline Chaos

• Administrator
  • Mars needs women!
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2013, 10:46:28 PM »
Duck, when I filled the oil to the top of the sight glass the thing smoked lots almost every startup.  I'd guess what brad man said or less oil getting splashed around by the crank.  Whatever, mine does much better with the oil lower.   
  • sw ohio
1987 K75S    VIN 0231
Original owner, Original litter
200,000 miles (plus or minus) and 5 paint jobs
sold 6/23
2023 Ural 2WD sidecar (BMW's bastard step child)

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2013, 02:38:21 AM »
I would suspect that at that level of oil when the bike is level, that when it is on the side stand, the oil does not go past the bottom edge of the cylinder and down past the rings...

Do you even know where the cylinders are on a K engine? Do you understand gravity?
Once I had a Collie pup. Dug a hole and covered him up. Now I sit there by the hour. Waiting for a Collie-flower.
Buy parts here.

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2013, 02:43:23 AM »
Duck, when I filled the oil to the top of the sight glass the thing smoked lots almost every startup.  I'd guess what brad man said or less oil getting splashed around by the crank.  Whatever, mine does much better with the oil lower.

My K75 has an 87 engine with smokey rings.  I just tilt it to the right for a few seconds after turning it off and that drains the oil from behind the cylinders into the sump so there's very little there to see past the rings and smoke. I keep generally keep the oil about 2/3 to 3/4 in the sight glass and don't use the center stand very much.
Buy parts here.

Offline Brad-Man

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2013, 09:59:51 PM »
Do you even know where the cylinders are on a K engine? Do you understand gravity?

Yeah I do Duck - I've built plenty of 4,6 and 8 cylinder car engines, but never a Peugot/BMW.  I DO know that the crankcase is on the uphill side when on the side stand and the cylinders slope down to the head.  The sump where most of the oil is taken from and circulated is now to the bottom side of the engine where gravity directs it when the flailing of the crank and corresponding air movement that tends to impede that process stops.

Anyone with common sense would understand that less oil in the crankcase would probably mean less oil trickling from the crankcase/sump down the cylinders (and possibly oil return passages) toward the pistons and cylinder head - how much I don't know, but you cannot deny the fact.

I suggest that you stop being an anal pore before you lose a customer that has already purchased from you and is in the process of rethinking his future plans.

• Marietta, GA
  • '85 K100
Toys don't make the Man - Man makes the Toys...
'74 RD350
'75 RD350 w/Modified 400 engine, Chambers & MZB iggy

Offline Grim

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2013, 12:20:00 AM »
K motor with cover off. http://www.i-bmw.com/showpost.php?p=432705&postcount=63
Got to remember its laying on its side with the sump actually under the engine.
Over filled sump wouldn't come in from the piston side. Might come in through bad valve seals but that would likely run right into the exhaust.

1995 Morea Green K1100LT

Tags: