Author Topic: 1991 K100RS center stand failure  (Read 5656 times)

Offline Crapdealerbob

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
1991 K100RS center stand failure
« on: May 21, 2011, 10:53:38 AM »
  Back in March I took a ride down to Phoenix, AZ. to see my new grand daughter.  I stopped in Wickenburg to gas up.  As I stepped down and begin to lift the bike onto the center stand, the footpost extension snapped off completely and the bike fell hard onto its right side.  The mirror broke off, and of course my paint job really took some damage.

The bike is being repaired now, the saddle bag lid hit hard enough to crack it, so that part had to be replaced before I could get it to the painter.  Of course, the insurance company wanted to total out the bike, said it was only worth $2300.  That issue took 3 weeks to resolve, waiting on the parts also took about 3 weeks.  It should be done next week (fingers crossed). 

Just a heads up to check your center stand for metal fatigue, I had no warning, and there was no rusted cracks for me to notice. 

It was been a long 9 weeks without the Beemer parked in my parking space...
Crapdealerbob
Wickenburg, AZ
1991 K100 RS

Offline mystic red

• Retired Professsional Driver
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
Re: 1991 K100RS center stand failure
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2011, 11:03:48 AM »
Wow, That sucks. That's a rare specimen...love the color scheme. I wonder how you could check those stands. The picture shows a clean break. :o

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2011, 11:18:20 AM »
Boy, that's odd.  The 2 valve bike center stands were known to get water in them, rust and break or just plain wear out.  BMW redesigned the center stand for the 4V bikes.

I put a 4V center stand on my K75 when I built it.

I usually just use the side stand on my bikes unless I'm working on them or out touring when I cover them.
Once I had a Collie pup. Dug a hole and covered him up. Now I sit there by the hour. Waiting for a Collie-flower.
New to K bikes? Click here.
K Bike Maintenance & Mods: Click here.
Buy parts here.

Offline Crapdealerbob

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2011, 11:00:34 AM »
Well after 20 years, I guess it just wore out...but I'll be using the kickstand a little more now.  Every time I get ready to use the center stand I'll be apprehensive.
Crapdealerbob
Wickenburg, AZ
1991 K100 RS

Tags: