BMW K75 K100 K1 K1100 Forum by ^Quintessential Motobrickers for ^Motobrickers of Earth

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Curing mushy handlebars on a K1100RS or K1100LT - good bang for your buck mod  (Read 1451 times)

frankenduck

• Forum Adrninistrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker

Can be done for the price of two washers.  Doesn't take very long if you're just adding the washers.

When I got my K1100LT the rubber mounted handlebars were kind of mushy.  I found this and decided to give it a try.  For the cost and effort it makes a big difference.

I got my K1100RS several years later and after having firmed up my LT bars the RS bars felt like mush so I decided I had to firm those up as well.  The bike was a Malibu bike and even though the rest of the bike didn't have signs of corrosion I was somewhat shocked when I pulled the handlebar mounts apart.

The handlebar mounts on the right are the ones that came out of my RS.  :o Both the studs of the lower mounts and the metal tubes they go through were pretty nasty.  So I replaced them with mounts and lower clamps from a parts bike. (Left side of the picture.)

Those rubber mounts were kind of hard to get out.  This is the "BMW special tool" I came up with for extracting them - a long 1/4" ratchet extension and some Vice-Grips.

And here's the stainless washers I used underneath them to help compress the rubber mounts and firm up the steering.  I don't know the exact dimensions of those washers but the key is to use washers that have a large enough inside diameter that the studs can pass through and an outside diameter small enough to fit in the hole in the upper fork tree.

93 K11LT
94 K11RS- "Kato"
86-97 K75F (K75/100/1100 Frankenbrick)
86 K75C w/ paralever, high perf. cams,TURBO!
91 K1
86 custom K100
and 2 more
IBA #17739 (SS1K, BBG, 50CC)

Buy parts HERE
Pages: [1]   Go Up