Author Topic: What should I expect from the insurance company?  (Read 14804 times)

Offline Bob T

• ^ Motobrick Curious
What should I expect from the insurance company?
« on: May 22, 2013, 11:10:42 AM »
So has anyone dealt with Allstate on a crashed bike?
See my thread here as to what happened.

The are sending a guy today to look at the bike and I was wondering what to expect.
And a related question would be what is a fairly clean '95 K11RS worth?

Thanks!
'96 K1100RS
'01 Triumph TT600
'83 Suzuki GS1100E
'95 K1100RS - Totaled

"I always prefer to believe the best of everybody, it saves so much trouble." -- Rudyard Kipling

Offline johnny

• TrailBrakingThrottleWhacker
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
  • Whacking...n...Chopping Sliding...n...High Siding
Re: What should I expect from the insurance company?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2013, 11:30:57 AM »
what i did was make a digital file of photos of the moto b4 damage + photos after damage... then i made a list of all necessary parts with fiche screen prints with current list prices and labor estimate at $80 per hour...

dude sucked it off my usb drive... looked at it on his laptop... thanked me for doing his work and pulled out his check book...

it was that easy...

j o
  • :johnny i parks my 96 eleven hundert rs motobrick in dodge county cheezconsin  :johnny

Offline Turkus

• Rollin' The Brickus Turkus - '93K75S
  • ^ Proficient Motobricker
  • Recalculating.....
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 11:40:42 AM »
They are sending a guy today to look at the bike and I was wondering what to expect.

One word:    NOTHING !!
Absolutely nothing...........

Doesn't really matter who the insurance carrier is, they will not be acting in your best interests - especially when it comes time to settle up on a "total loss".
It will up to YOU, and only you, to determine the value of your damaged vehicle.
Value has been legally defined as "an agreed upon amount between a willing seller and a willing buyer".
Check your policy on the "Repair/Replace clause" in the Physical Damages portion of the policy.
If they can't agree with you on a proper ACV if it's a total, then you might be able to force them to repair it.
(They WON'T like that....)

You need to do ALL the homework on the replacement value of the vehicle as your carrier will only offer an amount served up via a computerized database based upon geographic averages.
The appraiser won't put any more effort than neccessary into determining their version of the bike's value and attempting to write you a check.
All states have Consumer Protection Laws to protect you from your insurance company - check into them and know your rights.
An informed consumer is a dangerous thing to an insurance company.

Always remember: You are not in good hands with your insurance company and they are not a good neighbor.....

You may ask yourself: "How does he know all this ??"
35+ years running body shops and dealing with insurance companies has taught me a thing or two over the years...

Good luck.
You can get more with kind words and a REALLY BIG gun, than with just kind words...trust me

Offline Bob T

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2013, 11:48:19 AM »
OK...two excellent, helpful replies. 

Looks like I got some work to do.

Thanks again
'96 K1100RS
'01 Triumph TT600
'83 Suzuki GS1100E
'95 K1100RS - Totaled

"I always prefer to believe the best of everybody, it saves so much trouble." -- Rudyard Kipling

Offline Grim

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2013, 12:00:47 PM »
It's totaled
You need to document any upgrades including the cost to do and time it took to do it.
Any recent thing like tires you need to document as well.

Now let them make an offer (it may be better then you think) but know what replacing it is going to cost in the real world. If they lowball you then tell them to find a replacement since they seem to feel they can replace it cheaper then you can.

Are you claiming medical for you and your wife's injuries?  DO NOT sign off right away. Medical bills trickle in and in a week the doctor may decide something new but if you have singed off and accepted a check it likely also includes waving any more claims.
Good luck.
1995 Morea Green K1100LT

Offline Turkus

• Recalculating.....
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2013, 12:09:42 PM »
FYI.....

Tires, brakes, batteries, and any item subject to "wear and tear" comes under the heading of "maintenance" and doesn't improve the value of the vehicle.
Upgrading your OEM shocks to Ohlins or Wilburs gets you some bonus points but you will never recover the original value of the part.

Start making a list of everything you have done to the bike since you bought it, then look at it from the perspective of a potential buyer and start whittling the list of "things that don't count" down.
The list just might surprise you.....and the appraiser.
You can get more with kind words and a REALLY BIG gun, than with just kind words...trust me

Offline Bob T

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2013, 12:46:02 PM »
Good info.  Thanks!

What about swapping out my Corbin for the stock seat and my Ikon shock with the stock part...I still have them.
Is that a no-no after he looks at the bike, because I won't have time to do it before he gets there this afternoon.
'96 K1100RS
'01 Triumph TT600
'83 Suzuki GS1100E
'95 K1100RS - Totaled

Offline Turkus

• Recalculating.....
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2013, 12:50:23 PM »
He'll, most likely, give you next to nothing for value on these items if he's establishing AVC for a Total Loss settlement.
Tell him you have the OE parts and that you'll be happy to switch them back.

Pray that you get an appraiser that rides, or appreciates motos - you just might get lucky   :2thumbup:

Offline Bob T

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2013, 12:54:49 PM »
He'll, most likely, give you next to nothing for value on these items if he's establishing AVC for a Total Loss settlement.
Tell him you have the OE parts and that you'll be happy to switch them back.

Pray that you get an appraiser that rides, or appreciates motos - you just might get lucky   :2thumbup:

Thanks...I was only thinking swapping them out so I could put them on my next K11 :bmwsmile

How about buying it back?  Not to fix, because salvage/rebuilt titles are a pain in IL, but to part out?
'96 K1100RS
'01 Triumph TT600
'83 Suzuki GS1100E
'95 K1100RS - Totaled

Offline Grim

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2013, 05:38:07 PM »
Buy back is worth asking about. Them not having to deal with getting it towed and having to go through auctioning the remains is worth something to them. Later on down the road you never know when you will find a used bike with a clean title and a popped motor. Little sweat equity and your known good motor could be a good thing.
1995 Morea Green K1100LT

Offline Turkus

• Recalculating.....
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2013, 09:38:18 PM »
Buying your "salvage" back can be challenging also.
Typically the insurance companies assign a percentage of the ACV to "penalize" you when you buy your own vehicle back.
For most autos, this percentage is in the 37% neighborhood.
I would challenge the appraisers "salvage value" if you opt to keep your own vehicle.

Offline johnny

• TrailBrakingThrottleWhacker
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
  • Whacking...n...Chopping Sliding...n...High Siding
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2013, 09:42:13 PM »
yawl...

you wanna make your best deal before talking about a buy back...

J o
  • :johnny i parks my 96 eleven hundert rs motobrick in dodge county cheezconsin  :johnny

Offline Crapdealerbob

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2013, 01:47:56 AM »
They are sending a guy today to look at the bike and I was wondering what to expect.

One word:    NOTHING !!
Absolutely nothing...........

Doesn't really matter who the insurance carrier is, they will not be acting in your best interests - especially when it comes time to settle up on a "total loss".
It will up to YOU, and only you, to determine the value of your damaged vehicle.
Value has been legally defined as "an agreed upon amount between a willing seller and a willing buyer".
Check your policy on the "Repair/Replace clause" in the Physical Damages portion of the policy.
If they can't agree with you on a proper ACV if it's a total, then you might be able to force them to repair it.
(They WON'T like that....)

You need to do ALL the homework on the replacement value of the vehicle as your carrier will only offer an amount served up via a computerized database based upon geographic averages.
The appraiser won't put any more effort than neccessary into determining their version of the bike's value and attempting to write you a check.
All states have Consumer Protection Laws to protect you from your insurance company - check into them and know your rights.
An informed consumer is a dangerous thing to an insurance company.

Always remember: You are not in good hands with your insurance company and they are not a good neighbor.....

You may ask yourself: "How does he know all this ??"
35+ years running body shops and dealing with insurance companies has taught me a thing or two over the years...

Good luck.

That's what happened to me when my 91 tipped over (http://www.motobrick.com/index.php/topic,431.msg816.html#msg816)  from a broken center stand.  State Farm wanted to total it out at $2500.  We fought them over this for three weeks until my agent got an "expert" to value my bike at $4500.  I told them under no circumstances would I allow them to total it out and salvage title it back to me.  I was prepared to forgo the insurance company and get the repairs done from my own pocket, and told my agent we would take all our insurance needs elsewhere.  They finally came through....of course I have had my K100RS for over 20 years and was not going to lose it because it tipped over. 
Most of the problem came from me having it re - painted the year before, it was quite expensive.

:mbird
Crapdealerbob
Wickenburg, AZ
1991 K100 RS

Offline Bob T

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2013, 09:26:20 AM »
Well the insurance dude came over last night and came up with a number in the $5300 range for repair...
They needed to research the value of the bike and will let me know today.

However, he did tell me I don't have to total the bike.  He said on a bike, (or car), over 9 years old, I have the option to "retain" the bike.  This means they will pay me the value of the bike and I get to keep it with a clean title.  Not salvage, not rebuilt.
If this is true, and I hope to verify today, I should come out OK using used parts and my own labor.

We'll see...
'96 K1100RS
'01 Triumph TT600
'83 Suzuki GS1100E
'95 K1100RS - Totaled

Offline Turkus

• Recalculating.....
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2013, 10:56:14 AM »
He said on a bike, (or car), over 9 years old, I have the option to "retain" the bike.  This means they will pay me the value of the bike and I get to keep it with a clean title.  Not salvage, not rebuilt....

Be thankful that you don't live in Kommyfornya....you'd get a "Salvage Title" and be stuck.

IF the ACV comes back at estimate value or greater, request that you "cash out" instead of them cutting a check payable to you and a shop. That way you get a better pay-out (less your deductible of course) and you can do what you want.
The only caveat is you may lose your Collision Coverage until you can prove to them that the bike has been completely repaired and they reinspect it prior to reinstating your collision coverage.

Off thread: EVERYBODY needs to read their insurance policies and understand their coverages before they experience a calamity. You, more than likely, are not covered as well as you think......this goes for your cages, too.
(Cheap insurance = cheap coverage - period).

Offline Bob T

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2013, 07:10:45 AM »
OK....They called last night and gave me numbers that surprised me....in a positive way. :2thumbup:
I am not going to post them on the web yet...not till I have my check in hand, but lets just say it is more than I expected. :clap:
'96 K1100RS
'01 Triumph TT600
'83 Suzuki GS1100E
'95 K1100RS - Totaled

Offline Brad-Man

« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2013, 06:45:30 PM »
Good news Bob!

Glad you're gonna get to keep 'er...
  • Marietta, GA
  • '85 K100
Toys don't make the Man - Man makes the Toys...
'74 RD350
'75 RD350 w/Modified 400 engine, Chambers & MZB iggy

Offline Bob T

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2013, 09:01:33 AM »
They mailed the check Tuesday...should be here today or tomorrow.  Got a low mile, '96 K11RS lined up to check out Saturday. :riding:

More to follow....
'96 K1100RS
'01 Triumph TT600
'83 Suzuki GS1100E
'95 K1100RS - Totaled

Offline grant71

« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2013, 09:15:09 PM »
I had an accident a few months back where a female driving a rental made an illegal u turn right across my path. Insurance dept of rental co. Wanted 3 quotes. They then said that they would settle the claim on a 80 / 20 basis. 80 % of my quote less 20 % of their quote. I declined their offer and they then replied. Ok well drop the 20 % deduction and pay 80 % of your quote. I again declined pointing out that their client was 100 % responsible for the accident. Im waiting for their reply. At this delicate stage i wont divulge the name of the co. But let me tell you all   I TRY HARDER
I Live In Cape Town South Africa.  I Ride A 1986 K100RS.

Offline Turkus

• Recalculating.....
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2013, 10:39:22 AM »
I had an accident a few months back where a female driving a rental made an illegal u turn right across my path. Insurance dept of rental co. Wanted 3 quotes. They then said that they would settle the claim on a 80 / 20 basis. 80 % of my quote less 20 % of their quote. I declined their offer and they then replied. Ok well drop the 20 % deduction and pay 80 % of your quote. I again declined pointing out that their client was 100 % responsible for the accident. Im waiting for their reply. At this delicate stage i wont divulge the name of the co. But let me tell you all   I TRY HARDER

Greetings grant71...

Here are some things to consider: 1) what state do you live in ? most states have consumer protection laws that state you only need ONE estimate of repair from the shop of YOUR choice (the three bid system is so '70s), 2) in just about every state the insurance follows the car and then the driver - file a claim against the driver's personal auto carrier (I hope she has one or the rental agency is in deep ch1t) and a small claims action against the driver of the rental vehicle - get EVERYBODY involved and it's bound to get someone's attention (and their checkbook).

There is no shame in divulging the carrier's name (unless you work for them and want to keep your job)....the more we hear about mistreatment by insurance companies and drop their coverage, the more we affect their market share.
REMEMBER...there isn't ONE good insurance company out there these days, they're ALL out to do you no good (just like cage drivers); some just have better success than others.

Offline grant71

« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2013, 10:44:59 AM »
I live in Cape Town South Africa. So turn back the clock 50 years. That is our present status.
I Live In Cape Town South Africa.  I Ride A 1986 K100RS.

Tags: