Author Topic: BEST MOD: Installing an Audiovox CCS-100 Cruise Control on a K Bike  (Read 59972 times)

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
In my opinion this is the best mod you can do to a K bike.  I've installed the Audiovox CCS-100 on eight different K bikes (make that nine, I just remembered another one) and can't imagine riding without it if I don't have to.  There are four main benefits to it from my perspective:

• Reduced wrist fatigue since you don't need to apply the throttle all of the time.
  • Increased safety because you don't have to be watching your speedometer all of the time.  This lets you devote more of your time to situational awareness.
  • Reduced chances of getting a ticket since you can just set it to 8 or 9 mph over and stay under the magic ticket limit of 10 over.
  • Reduced mental fatigue since you don't have to worry about your speed all of the time and can generally ride in a more relaxed fashion. (Notice I used the term relaxed, not lazy.)

You can do it the "old-fashioned" way using the Audiovox control pad that comes with it:

Or you can do it the uber-cool frankenduck way and implement it with a BMW OEM windscreen switch:

Attached to this post are two files:

1) A PDF file of my write-up on how I like to install the CCS-100 on the various classic K bike models.

2) A PDF copy of the Audiovox CCS-100 Installation Manual for reference purposes.

IMPORTANT UPDATE:  At the top of Page 5 where it tells you to drill a hole in the tail cowl it should say front RIGHT corner, not front left corner.  I'll update that and remake the PDF soon.

POINT OF INTEREST(6/8/11):  Somebody posted this over on ADVrider.com:

i thought that this might be of interest to anyone considering installing a cruise control. i have been working on installing an electricaly actuated cruise control to replace my older vacume one. i made the assumption that the electronic would be much smaller than the older cruise control. when i opened the the box i was suprised to say the least- it appered that the elect one was bigger!!! today i had the chance to measure both...the vacume was 40cubic inches...the electronic one 49. this makes the electronic one a little harder to find a spot on an motorcycle. in all fairness, if the installer is going to install a vacume resivor, then the volume does get much bigger, but the reservoir/cruise control combo. can be installed between two spaces, unlike the electrionic. bottom line is-there's no savings in size-going to electric

edit by scott_ 10-12-13 to update missing photo's
Once I had a Collie pup. Dug a hole and covered him up. Now I sit there by the hour. Waiting for a Collie-flower.
New to K bikes? Click here.
K Bike Maintenance & Mods: Click here.
Buy parts here.

Offline leecow

• ^ Motobrick Curious
Thanks Duck. Definitely on my list. The audiovox unit seems to be getting a bit more expensive to acquire. Did notice the following on fleabay. Claims to be "the same".

http://m.ebay.com/Pages/ViewItem.aspx?aid=370511230880&emvAD=320x646&sv=audiovox ccs100&emvcc=0

Since you have much hands-on experience with the ccs100 would you mind eyeballing the auction and commenting?
Lee
'93 K1100RS

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
The Fleabay pic looks good to me.  Looks identical to the real thing.  I'd think that's pretty safe since if there are any problems Fleabay/PayPal almost always side with the buyer should there be a dispute.

Murph's kits has them too: http://www.murphskits.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=422
Once I had a Collie pup. Dug a hole and covered him up. Now I sit there by the hour. Waiting for a Collie-flower.
Buy parts here.

Offline leonp24

• Curious
As always, the BEST write up.  I'm also a little happy I bought the Audiovox units I have a few years ago.  I've just opened one to install on my K100RS (aka, FrankenBIKE).  Would anyone like the "leftover" unit I won't use?  Still in the sealed box, about 2 years old...I'd planned on putting it in a pickup I've since sold.

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
i am interested in your unit...

That's what he tells all of the guys.....

Buy parts here.

Offline BobR

• ^ Motobrick Curious
  • 1991 K100RS
Re: BEST MOD: Installing an Audiovox CCS-100 Cruise Control on a K Bike
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2012, 07:45:52 PM »
Duck....I am currently doing the install.  Two quick questions:

1.  Can you describe in a little more detail how you affix the hangmans noose to the throttle bar?  Not enough resolution in your pic for me to get a good eyeball on it.  Is the noose actually going over the bar assembly or are you relying on the tie wrap?

2.  Having trouble locating the gray/green rear brake light wire on the right side under the battery cover.  I see green/yellow but no gray/green.  I have attached a picture of the right side.  I thought you could point me to the correct area.

Thanks...Bob
Bob Ruhlman

Offline BobR

• ^ Motobrick Curious
  • 1991 K100RS
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2012, 08:08:59 PM »
Duck...one more question I forgot.  The green input wire from the windscreen switch, are you saying to hook that into the same positap connector already installed near the white alarm connector in the relay box, or should I install another positap in that same line (so there would be a total of two)?  I was unsure if one positap could handle two wires.  Thanks....
Bob Ruhlman

Offline Inge K.

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2012, 08:51:31 PM »
2.  Having trouble locating the gray/green rear brake light wire on the right side under the battery cover.  I see green/yellow but no gray/green.  I have attached a picture of the right side.  I thought you could point me to the correct area.

Thanks...Bob

You probably have found the right connector, from the switch it`s two wires...
one green and one yellow.
On the harness side of this connector it`s one gray/green wire and one green/black wire.

Inge K.
  • Norway

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2012, 08:55:54 PM »
1) Loop the beaded wire around the bar and through the noose and then hold it in place with a small zip-tie.

2) Disconnect the rear brake switch.  Turn the bike on (kill switch straight up) and test both terminals on the  main wiring harness side of them connector.  The one the isn't hot (12V+) is the one you want to hook the purple wire to.
Buy parts here.

Offline BobR

• ^ Motobrick Curious
  • 1991 K100RS
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2012, 10:58:52 AM »
ok, got it, thanks.  couple more quick items:

1.  The green input wire from the windscreen switch, are you saying to hook that into the same positap connector already installed near the white alarm connector in the relay box, or should I install another positap in that same line (so there would be a total of two)?  I was unsure if one positap could handle two wires.

2.  For the wires going into the relay box, how do you route them into the box?  Do you feed them through the area with the main harness towards the front of the box, slip them under the cover, or drill a new hole in the box?

Thanks..
Bob Ruhlman

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2012, 12:23:22 PM »
ok, got it, thanks.  couple more quick items:

1.  The green input wire from the windscreen switch, are you saying to hook that into the same positap connector already installed near the white alarm connector in the relay box, or should I install another positap in that same line (so there would be a total of two)?  I was unsure if one positap could handle two wires.

2.  For the wires going into the relay box, how do you route them into the box?  Do you feed them through the area with the main harness towards the front of the box, slip them under the cover, or drill a new hole in the box?

Thanks..

1) Either way - depending upon what size PosiTap you're using.

2) I usually route them where the main wiring harness goes. (Use can use some dykes to cut a little slot in the rubber.)
Buy parts here.

Offline BobR

• ^ Motobrick Curious
  • 1991 K100RS
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2012, 09:03:19 AM »
Has anyone run the servo cable up the left rail vice the right rail and around the top of the radiator?  I have the servo positioned behind the ABS control unit on a 91 K100RS, and am coming up a few inches short when I route it up the right side.  Thanks..
Bob Ruhlman

Offline johnny

• TrailBrakingThrottleWhacker
  • Whacking...n...Chopping Sliding...n...High Siding
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2012, 09:30:36 AM »
my unit is under the knee panel up by the gasometer... my cable makes a figure 8 under the frame rails in the radiator fan compartment under the gas tank...

j o
  • :johnny i parks my 96 eleven hundert rs motobrick in dodge county cheezconsin  :johnny

Offline BobR

• ^ Motobrick Curious
  • 1991 K100RS
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2012, 11:04:22 AM »

my unit is under the knee panel up by the gasometer... my cable makes a figure 8 under the frame rails in the radiator fan compartment under the gas tank...

j o

I just tried this on my 91 K100RS and the width of the space underneath the knee panel is a little too narrow for the servo to go down far enough not to interfere with the knee panel.  What model bike do you have?
Bob Ruhlman

Offline johnny

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2012, 11:31:19 AM »
 rodger that... too narrow...

on the bug... a 94k1100rs... i used snips to cut away the innard metal piece that hooks to the gasometer bracket... made for a nice fit...

on the burd... a 96k1100rs... i made a bow in said metal piece for a snug fit...

the reason mines is in the fairing and in a figure eight is it wont fit under my seat and i needed to take up the slack with lazy loops...

j o
  • :johnny i parks my 96 eleven hundert rs motobrick in dodge county cheezconsin  :johnny

Offline BobR

• ^ Motobrick Curious
  • 1991 K100RS
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2012, 01:40:04 PM »
got it, thanks Johnny....much appreciated...
Bob Ruhlman

Offline BobR

• ^ Motobrick Curious
  • 1991 K100RS
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2012, 02:03:52 PM »
I think I am going to put the servo in back of the ABS control unit like before, but point it to the left vice the right, and run it up the left side bike frame rail, loop it back from the radiator through the hole in the frame corner, to the bracket.  A little excess cable at the top, but I think it will mash down nicely under the tank.  If anyone sees any issues with this, please let me know.  There may be a good reason others have gone up the right side that I am overlooking.  thanks..
Bob Ruhlman

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2012, 02:20:38 PM »
Try to avoid having any sharp bends in the servo cable.
Buy parts here.

Offline BobR

• ^ Motobrick Curious
  • 1991 K100RS
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2012, 03:50:17 PM »
I see.  I checked the audiovox manual and found one picture where it showed the servo cable and specified a minimum 4" radius on the curve.  I checked and with this arrangement I am proposing I definitely have a less than 4" radius curve.  It got me thinking though, and with the servo mounted aft of the ABS control module and pointed either right or left, the cable has to make a sharp, small radius turn to get oriented towards the front.  The loop I have at the front of the bike around the bracket area is much larger than this, so if this sharp bend coming out of the servo does not seem to be a problem for others with the rear mounting, than I am thinking I will be ok with the one in the front????   sound logic or not?
Bob Ruhlman

Offline mystic red

• Retired Professsional Driver
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2012, 04:45:31 PM »
I think I am going to put the servo in back of the ABS control unit like before, but point it to the left vice the right, and run it up the left side bike frame rail, loop it back from the radiator through the hole in the frame corner, to the bracket.  A little excess cable at the top, but I think it will mash down nicely under the tank.  If anyone sees any issues with this, please let me know.  There may be a good reason others have gone up the right side that I am overlooking.  thanks..

Sounds good. I located mine between the airbox and the radiator, there's a little cubby hole there, and just ziptied it in place. The cable routes thru the frame and makes a big loop in the fairing and is mashed down by the tank. No issues, just don't get too sharp of a bend in the cable.

Offline BobR

• ^ Motobrick Curious
  • 1991 K100RS
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2012, 07:37:04 PM »
ok, good to know about the other option.  I have attached two pictures on my proposed cable routing with the bends.  What do you think about these bends?
Bob Ruhlman

Rick G

« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2012, 07:43:45 PM »
I ran mine up the right rail and across to the left just behind the steering head and over the left rail and down to the bracket which is mounted to the rear hole that is already there in the bracing section.

Barbacks Obmamma

« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2012, 07:52:23 PM »
Nice prayer rug under that part white and part black motobrick.  I have one just like it.  We have allot in common.

Offline BobR

• ^ Motobrick Curious
  • 1991 K100RS
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2012, 08:02:17 PM »
Guys....just took the bike on a test drive after installing the cruise control.  Everything checked out just fine...worked like a charm...  Thanks for all your help, and particularly Duck who started the whole thing.  What a great mod...Looks like OEM with the left side switch with the windscreen switch......
Bob Ruhlman

Offline johnny

« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2012, 08:22:35 PM »
100% yeeeeeehaaaaaaaa there bobr...

j o

Tags: