Author Topic: Little Back Brake, Fine Front Brake  (Read 10491 times)

Offline BexarWolf

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
  • 1994 K1100RS - Rubik
Little Back Brake, Fine Front Brake
« on: May 07, 2013, 04:33:38 PM »
Coming home from a meeting today I noticed the rear brake wasn't doing much. I have plenty of front brake but the rear one is being lazy.

'94 K1100RS with 41,000 miles. The last documented rear brake change was at 21,000 and I can't find documentation for the front brake being replaced. The 2 previous owners were meticulous about keeping service records (something I wish I were better at). Is it possible to get 20,000 miles out of set of rear brake pads and 40,000 out of the front? Is there a way to check the rear pads without disassembling the rear end?

I'm about to search the lieberry for more detail but I thought I'd throw it out here first for the brickheads to comment on.
Sit tall in the saddle, hold your head up high. Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky. Live like you ain't afraid to die. Don't be scared. Just enjoy the ride. ~ Chris LeDoux

Offline Grim

Re: Little Back Brake, Fine Front Brake
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013, 06:15:19 PM »
my 95 LT that I just picked up with 46k has signs that the rears ave been worn out to the point of metal to metal contact. The pads that were in it was not completely worn out but darn close. The were worn enough that no fluid was left in the reservoir but had enough fluid in the line to function. Maybe your ran out of fluid in the line.  :yow

Leads me to believe that 20K is about all you will get out of the rear.
Dealer will get you $60 for the pads. :(

You dont even want to know what a rotor costs so keep an eye on it. .
1995 Morea Green K1100LT

Offline BexarWolf

• 1994 K1100RS - Rubik
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2013, 09:31:34 PM »
I'll root around in there some tomorrow to see if the fluid is low. It looks like pads are going to be a fairly simple and inexpensive fix if that's what it is.
Sit tall in the saddle, hold your head up high. Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky. Live like you ain't afraid to die. Don't be scared. Just enjoy the ride. ~ Chris LeDoux

Offline johnny

• TrailBrakingThrottleWhacker
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
  • Whacking...n...Chopping Sliding...n...High Siding
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2013, 10:18:03 PM »
i have 30+ thousand on my pads... they are getting thin...

how long they last depends on riding style...

one thing i can say is my front brakes are always good... butts routinely about every 5+ thousand miles i have to bleed my rear brakes  cause my peddle goes soft for unknown reasons...

j o
  • :johnny i parks my 96 eleven hundert rs motobrick in dodge county cheezconsin  :johnny

Offline mjydrafter

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2013, 08:02:21 AM »
When was the last time you changed out the fluid?

If never, I would assume you have some pretty caked up hydraulics/brakes (on the inside).  In my limited experience, if you tear into the calipers and master, you will find this white crystalized crap.  Generally around any of the seals, where the fluid has a bit of a chance to build up and collect moisture. The calipers would be my first check, and then the master.

Sometimes they won't work, and some times they lock up, depends on whether or not it sits or gets ridden.

Pull it apart, you can check the pads really well this way.  Clean everything really well, and put it back together and I bet it'll work just like new, assuming you have any pads left.

I have been lucky in my brake work, as generally a clean up has put everything right in all cases, without new seal kits and o-rings and such. Be prepared to run into broken bits and dried out rubber.  But I would bet everything will be fine with a clean up. :yes
1986 BMW K75c
1974 Suzuki TC-185 (the little 10 speed)

Offline BexarWolf

• 1994 K1100RS - Rubik
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2013, 11:28:10 AM »
In all the records kept by the two previous owners there's no mention of a brake flush so it's possible it's never been done so that's something to put on my to-do list. I've bled the brakes on cars but never on a bike so it'll be a new experience.... especially dealing with ABS.

I love this bike and haven't had to do much maintenance on it in the year I've owned it so I guess it's time to get intimate with her. :-)

Offline cy7878

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2013, 01:40:54 PM »
The rear brake is so easy to work on because you have everything right in front of you.   I can pump the pedal  with right hand and open/close the bleed screw (11mm size) with the left.  I was doubting my bleed skills on the cars, but working with the rear K brake reenforced that I'm not as big of an idiot.
Chuck

San Diego
1985 K100RS

Offline BexarWolf

• 1994 K1100RS - Rubik
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2013, 02:50:13 PM »
Well, I think I've found my problem and it wasn't the pads.

-

But I guess this could cause issues  :yow

Bone dry. Next step, fresh fluid and a brake bleeding in my future.  :clap:

Offline Photog

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2013, 05:39:50 PM »
There should be evidence of leaking somewhere, for that to have happened...
  • NNE
  • K75-S

Offline BexarWolf

• 1994 K1100RS - Rubik
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2013, 08:59:12 PM »
Yeah, that's what I thought. I have to bare my soul though and admit I haven't checked the level in either reservoir since bringing the bike home. There is some leakage on some of the cables and such below the reservoir but the brake line attached at the bottom is dry so I'm a little stumped. Once I get the brakes bled and everything back together I'll give the bike a good bath and watch for signs of a leak.

There's been no evidence of a leak under the bike for sure though.

Offline Grim

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2013, 09:42:45 PM »
Hopefully you will be fine. Thats exactly how mine was and after bleeding i have plenty of brake and no leaks.

I don't think the reservoir has any where the capacity to keep up with the caliper as the pads wear.
1995 Morea Green K1100LT

Offline Kyle10

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2013, 10:09:47 PM »
Time and rotted hosing + a bit of innocent neglect could be a culprit to the dry well.
1985 K100rt
1983 Honda VF750F

98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road.
The other 2% made it home.

Offline BexarWolf

• 1994 K1100RS - Rubik
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2013, 11:12:42 PM »
I'll be checking the front levels when I do all this and probably should change the fluid up there too. First ignorant task will be finding the ABS units and the corresponding bleed nipples.

I know I should have already been digging into this bike and knowing more about it but I have an unfavorable work area compounded with crappy work hours which equals less time to work with the bike than time to ride it. I guess this is a lesson that says to keep enjoying the ride I'm going to have to make time for proper maintenance.

Offline BexarWolf

• 1994 K1100RS - Rubik
Re: Re: Little Back Brake, Fine Front Brake
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2013, 02:15:22 PM »

I don't think the reservoir has any where the capacity to keep up with the caliper as the pads wear.

I have to agree with this. I just bled the ABS and rear caliper and I must have refilled the reservoir five or six times just pumping the fluid in. But I have about four feet of clear tubing to pump through so that may have accounted for some of it.

Hopefully I'll be able to get it on the road this weekend to see if I was successful.

Offline JamesInCA

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2013, 06:04:56 PM »
Did the rear work acceptably well before? That'd be a sign that it can, at least, hold decent pressure, and that there was recently fluid up through the rear master cylinder.

Offline BexarWolf

• 1994 K1100RS - Rubik
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2013, 12:39:46 AM »
Up until my return trip from work on Tuesday, everything seemed fine. On the way home I noticed diminished braking power on the rear but all was well on the front. I guess it was the last five miles of the trip that I was without rear brakes. 

If I can figure out how to remove the right side footpeg mount, I'll clean up that area and watch for leaks. I got the top two bolts out but the bottom bolt is turning as if there was a nut on the back of the plate.

All in all I think everything is going to work out ok.

Offline BexarWolf

• 1994 K1100RS - Rubik
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2013, 10:05:46 PM »
I'd call this one resolved and fixed. After bleeding the ABS and rear caliper, all is well. I'll definitely be paying more attention to the rear brake reservoir on my routine pre-trip. Next I'll bleed the ABS and front caliper just so I have clean fluid on both ends.  :clap:

Tags: