Author Topic: BeemerBoneyard ~ New And Used K Parts And Maintenance Supplies  (Read 29001 times)

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
Re: BeemerBoneyard ~ New And Used K Parts And Maintenance Supplies
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2019, 04:15:46 PM »
He did not say he wanted it returned and he only refunded the price of the tool.  I will gladly send it back if he paid postage as I don't have a use for it.
Well, that's something anyway. If you are able to get those dimensions, post them here. Maybe somebody can use it for a different application. I probably would have ground off the flanges—if that would have made the difference—so I could use it, and then written BB. If you give us the part number of the NAPA wrench, it can be put in the Alternate Parts section of the Workshop.

I recently bought a chrome-plated 22mm—not 7/8"—handlebar made by Flanders, a US company with a history of high quality. It is fabricated at that dimension so BMW controls will fit easily onto it.  Well, Brick controls would fit on the left end but the throttle tube and other other controls wouldn't fit on the right end, so I was confronted with two choices—try to fix it myself or call the company and start herding cats over the phone. It had deep chrome plating so I decided it was ok to chamfer the end then I sanded the bar with emery cloth for a few minutes working from the end inward five inches. The controls fit after that. It's odd having to do that with a $100 product but simple enough. Maybe a bandsaw was running too fast or slow, and unlubricated that day and the QC operator was sexting. Who knows? That's production life. I wrote denniskirk.com—the middleman—explaining what happened after the fact. I don't care if they answer. It's a good-looking  bar anyway.

I can't get exercised by small stuff. I'm just pleased not needing to run through sniper fire to buy stale bread that I wash down with brown tap water boiled then filtered through a bandana. :giggles
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.
https://tinyurl.com/RillRider

Offline daveson

« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2019, 09:50:14 PM »
Odball problems are often caused by dumb rookie mistakes which we have all made. There will always be an endless supply of rookies ordering parts from Beemer and doing an oil change for the first time.

To find the cause I guess he asked you,  in a diplomatic way,  have you made a dumb rookie mistake. You correctly translated the disguised message, and was understandably offended, and asked for a refund. Because the customer is always right,  you got it.

So he could also be understandably disappointed and offended,  as that stopped all hope of resolving the problem.

Putting that aside, they looked after you.  It's a small misunderstanding. Consider buying from them again,  I bet it will be for the better.

• Victoria, Australia
  • Current;'85 K100RT~100,000km; four other bricks. Past; 1500 Vulcan, V Star 650, KLX 250(dirt bike) TT250(dirt bike)

Offline The Mighty Gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2019, 09:51:22 AM »
Beemer Boneyard?  Is that the place with pages and pages of used parts that are never in stock?  For some strange reason, when I need a part, I need a part, not a spot on a waiting list.

They have never had anything I needed bad enough to do business with them.
  • In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:
'91 K100RS16V "Moby Brick Too"

Past:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'92 K100RS16V "Moby Brick" (RIP, deceased in a vehicular assault)
'94 K75S Special Edition Dakar Yellow "Cheetos"
'89 K100RS Special Edition "Special Ed"

Offline billday

« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2019, 07:12:19 AM »
Not here to argue with The Mighty Gryphon,  but Beemer Boneyard's service items are great. Like, if o-rings are included, you know they'll be the right size.

Once or twice they've had a used part when I needed it, too.
  • New York State, USA 10977
  • 1985 K100

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2019, 07:18:53 AM »
Not here to argue with The Mighty Gryphon . . .
Neither am I, but I've considered putting my name on a part's waiting list there so somebody might remember me after I'm dead.
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.
https://tinyurl.com/RillRider

• Administrator
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2019, 07:35:49 AM »
I could put my spot on a Beemer Boneyard waiting list in my Will.  There a a lot of other places to get new parts cheaper.
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:

Past:

Offline billday

« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2019, 07:49:56 AM »
There a a lot of other places to get new parts cheaper.

Yes, true. But there's other things they do really well so you shouldn't be trashing them, IMO.
  • 1985 K100

Offline Scott_

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2019, 08:07:46 AM »
I've always had good purchases from BBY.
Mainly oil filter kits, they came complete and fast.

There is always a compound risk with ANY vendor when you are dealing "on-line"....  there is the vendor and then there is the shipping agent...

I had a purchase/shipping mistake(they accidentally packaged a used part instead of a new one) once with Max BMW, I contacted them and the issue was corrected. I was satisfied and still do business with them.

I've had a private party purchase get lost with UPS....
  • My Garage
1995 K1100LT 0302044
1997 R1100RT ZC62149
2017 FLHTK Ultra Limited
1997 K1100LT 0302488 (R.I.P.)
"One who does not ask questions is ashamed to learn" Danish proverb

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2019, 09:56:09 AM »
I get all my maintenance filters, seals, and fluids locally at Walmart, NAPA, Carquest, and the local bearing merchant.  Cheaper than the "official" prices, excellent quality, always in stock, and I can see what I'm getting before I leave.  In over 80,000 miles of riding Bricks I've never been disappointed.

MaxBMW, Motobins, Euro Moto Electric and eBay have been very good to me for the stuff I can't source locally.  As far as BBY, I've found it's not too hard to get better deals than they offer on the stuff they actually have in stock.  Of course, your mileage may vary.
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:

Past:

Offline natalena

• ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2019, 08:37:04 PM »
Thinking ahead of time, and with some wear beginning to show on the DS splines, I checked BBY for a 20 spline driveshaft. It was surprisingly in stock, although the picture was very basic. I included a note on the order to the effect that "I'm trusting your expertise and experience that the splines are in very good condition." The package arrived in 4 days, packaged well in bubble wrap/double boxed, and the splines are way better than expected and the universal joint is in great condition. BBY is awesome, or I just used up a crapload of Karma points ... You Make The Call.

I guess the upshot is, it's worth a visit, as they just might have what you need.
  • MST
  • 1987 K75s #0919, '05 Sportster 1200C
We don't need no stinkin' moly.

Offline billday

« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2019, 09:00:53 PM »
Thinking ahead of time, and with some wear beginning to show on the DS splines, I checked BBY for a 20 spline driveshaft. It was surprisingly in stock, although the picture was very basic. I included a note on the order to the effect that "I'm trusting your expertise and experience that the splines are in very good condition." The package arrived in 4 days, packaged well in bubble wrap/double boxed, and the splines are way better than expected and the universal joint is in great condition. BBY is awesome, or I just used up a crapload of Karma points ... You Make The Call.

I guess the upshot is, it's worth a visit, as they just might have what you need.

Yep, I love those guys, they've always treated me great. I love them for their maintenance items too.
  • 1985 K100

Tags: