Author Topic: throttle question  (Read 8410 times)

Offline jimmyk

• Motobrick Curious
throttle question
« on: September 10, 2011, 02:33:49 PM »
 ???when I bought my k75 a few months ago,  the throttle was not spring loaded, which was great and easier on the wrist on longer rides.  After moving the bars to a more upright position ,my throttle was now spring loaded.
  I did have to adjust the front brake and clutch handles with the new bar position but as far as I know that's all I did.
     Does anyone know how to put the throttle back without the spring load?

:-\
there's always another place to explore.

Offline Phil Marvin

• ^ Motobrick Curious
Re: throttle question
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2011, 09:53:35 PM »
Hi, Jimmyk,
    As far as i know, all of them have a spring return.  The K75 (I have 2 of them) does, for sure.  On the underside of the throttle housing there may be a throttle lock screw.  If the screw isn't there, there is at least the threaded hole (maybe with a plastic plug in it) for the screw.  The screw can be screwed in or out, applying more or less pressure on the throttle.  With less pressure, the return spring has a greater effect; with more pressure, the throttle is stiffer, but takes very little hand pressure to keep o[pen.  Your hand is not constantly fighting the spring pressure.  So look for the throttle lock screw.  And tighten it to where you are comfortable.
Ride Safe,
Phil Marvin - El Paso, TX
'95 K75RTP
'94 K75A/3

Offline jimmyk

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2011, 09:35:27 AM »
Thanks for the info.
 I remember seeing the plastic plug.
  I will check it out when I'm home.

If by any chance ..would you know what size thread it would be?

Be safe:
there's always another place to explore.

Offline Phil Marvin

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2011, 11:44:47 AM »
Hi, Jimmy,
    It is a special, very fine thread.  I just checked Max's and REALOEM parts ETK's and neither list the part number.  I know that many years ago, BMW stopped supplying the throttle lock screw for "safety" reasons.  Maybe someone like Beemer Boneyard or Capital Cycle has them.  There are 2 styles - one for airheads and one for K's.  The "K" one is a bit longer to clear the nut holding the mirror.  The airhead one might work on the "K", but the longer one is better if it is available.  I just checked Beemer Boneyard's website and they list a used housing with the throttle stop screw - for $25.  Good Luck!
Ride Safe,
'95 K75RTP
'94 K75A/3

Offline Inge K.

• ^ Quintessential Motobricker
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2011, 01:12:31 AM »
  • Norway

Rick G

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2011, 01:38:40 AM »
One thing I have had happen is that the flange on the inner end of the grip will bind on the switch body and cause a heavy throttle and a non return. If the grip is not really tight on the tube it can ride up towards the switch body.

Offline Phil Marvin

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2011, 11:48:25 AM »
Hi, Inge,
    I agree, it should be #26, but the ETK's I've seen show #26 in the picture, but have no #26 in the description - no name, part number nor price.  If it is still available in Europe, what is the part number and cost?
Ride Safe,
'95 K75RTP
'94 K75A/3

Offline Inge K.

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2011, 12:24:22 PM »
Hi Phil!

When I open the link I previously sent I got following information:
26     Locking bolt        32721454414           $ 12,61.

I don`t know if it`s available at this side of the pond.

Inge K.
  • Norway

Offline Phil Marvin

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2011, 07:08:51 PM »
Hi, Inge,
    Thanks for the part number.  If Jimmyk is reading this, he can (maybe) order one from his dealer.  The funny thing is, if I check the ETK of one of the larger dealers here in the USA as well as the REALOEM site and click on K75RT, then "steering", the ETK shows the part, but there is no #26, part number, description nor price listed.  If I ask for the part number you provided, however, the parts view contains the "locking bolt" and it is in the description (along with the USA price, of $9.42).  It's funny, but 30 years ago, I lived and worked in Europe.  Both my late wife and I had bikes ('81 R100RT and '81 R65, USA models) without the throttle stop screws.  Since we knew they might be difficult to buy in the USA, we bought a supply while in Germany.  I think they were around DM4 each (then, a little less than $2.00).  And they are now $9.42! 
Ride Safe,
'95 K75RTP
'94 K75A/3

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2011, 07:39:17 PM »
Phil, back when you started riding Ks they were brand new bikes.  ;D
Once I had a Collie pup. Dug a hole and covered him up. Now I sit there by the hour. Waiting for a Collie-flower.
New to K bikes? Click here.
K Bike Maintenance & Mods: Click here.
Buy parts here.

Offline Motorrad80

• Curious
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2011, 12:36:10 PM »
Since we r talking throttle, has anyone or know anyone who has changed to an aftermarket throttle, front brake master, and clutch lever assemblies. I've seen some universal aftermarket kits online just wondering what to go with or if it is even possible.
88' k75c low seat (slowly becoming a cafe)

Offline Phil Marvin

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2011, 09:12:38 AM »
Phil, back when you started riding Ks they were brand new bikes.  ;D

Hi, Duck,
    You're right!  A friend bought an '85 K100RT and took delivery in Munich in October, 1984.  I rode it in '85.  I wanted nothing to do with K-bikes until '97, when I bought my first - a leftover '96 K1100LT demo.  I finally sold it with 122k miles.  I've had 9 different K-bikes and still have 2 of them.  BTW, when I first started riding, the bike I rode was an NSU 250.
Ride Safe,
'95 K75RTP
'94 K75A/3

Tags: