Author Topic: K75s with K100 LT topcase/trunk  (Read 5191 times)

Offline gpcrane

• Motobrick Curious
  • Simian Wrench rides a brick
K75s with K100 LT topcase/trunk
« on: April 12, 2013, 04:38:49 PM »
Knocked out an easy one day project to get ready for 2 up touring on my K75.  I wanted extra storage and a back rest for the Mrs, so I bought a K100 LT top case on ebay and slapped it on the bike.  As I expected with all the original hardware for the case the mounting to the K75 was for the most part very easy, only a little modifying needed.  The bottom support of the case to bike frame fit right in behind the Z bars.  The brackets have a threaded end and bolts are under the seat.  On the K75 there are 2 square nuts (one on each side) under the frame, these are held in place with spring clips and are easily pulled out, the the support bracket uses the same bolts.  The bracket came with longer bolts to use on the back to attach the bracket to the Z bar bellow the turn signals.  The only modifying needed is on the passenger hold/case support.  The old handles are removed and the new one use a larger bolt so drilling is required to open the hole.  Also the hadles do not line up with the holes in the top case (it stands out further on the K75) so new holes need to be drilled in the back of the top case.  I now have a case big enough to hold two helmets and a back rest.   :2thumbup:
  • 87 K 75S 02 R 1150RS

Offline Bassv

• Ride it like you stole it
  • Motobrick Curious
Re: K75s with K100 LT topcase/trunk
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2013, 06:36:59 AM »
That really adds some space!  :2thumbup:
K75RT 1991

Offline frogy

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2013, 08:57:22 AM »
Nice project.
The wife used to ride on the back prior to kids and loved it, it had no back support but we were young and didn't care. Got back into riding again 3 years ago with a R1150RT with topcase/backsupport. When she took her first 3 hour ride with me she commented,"now this is more like it".
Will you be doing any mods on rear suspension due to increased wht. over rear wheel?
2002 R1150RT
1985 K100 Naked

Craig

Offline gpcrane

• Motobrick Curious
  • Simian Wrench rides a brick
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2013, 02:06:39 PM »
I bought this bike just over a year ago.  There is a Progressive rear suspension on now.  I have no idea how old it is.  The bike only had 32K miles when I bought it and have have put on about 10K.  I have only had Staci (the Mrs.) on a few times and was fairly happy with the rear suspension without haveing adjusted it.

I don't know much about this schock and the one time I went on Progressive's web site I did not get any real info on how to adjust it.  It looks like there are two adjustment nuts for preload, right now they are right in the center of the threads.  Maybe I should look around this site, I know others out there use this schock.

Cheers, Greg
  • 87 K 75S 02 R 1150RS

Offline F14CRAZY

• ^ Quintessential Motobricker
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2014, 10:37:35 PM »
I looked up this thread in doing the same thing earlier today...I was wondering at first why someone else had drilled extra holes for the handles...seems my LT case was already on a K75 at some point lol
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • '87 K75C
'87 K75C w/ Pichler V1 fairing. LED's, CATZ driving lights, Audiovox cruise, LT top case, tons of other mods by Drake...

Offline pdg

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2014, 06:17:52 AM »
Those two nuts for preload are really one nut... There are two so that they can be 'locked' onto the thread by tightening them against each other.

To adjust it, 'undo' the nuts from each other (2 c spanners needed - or whatever) then turn them - squash the spring to increase (harder/heavier load), relax the spring to decrease (softer/lighter load). Then, remember to lock the 2 nuts together again afterwards... If you don't lock them together, all that will happen is they'll turn and upset your setting - no harm unless you ignore the back sagging long enough for the nuts to come off the end of the thread. (edit, the progressive preload nuts can't come off the end of the thread...)

Might be worth an extra click or two on the compression damping too.
1988 K75S

Tags: