Author Topic: Online source for fuel hose in tank?  (Read 11050 times)

Offline GWHayduke

• Motobrick Curious
Online source for fuel hose in tank?
« on: April 08, 2013, 10:20:32 AM »
Anyone have an online source for SAE 30R10 immersion fuel line that is used in the tank? It seems that most (all?) of the auto parts stores down here don't carry it. Thanks!

Head wrench and kibitzer for:
R1150RT (mine)
K75RT (Larry's)
3 K1100RTs (Larry's)

Offline JamesInCA

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
Re: Online source for fuel hose in tank?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2013, 12:41:07 PM »
NAPA. Or your friendly mail-order BMW dealer, who will charge much less. Surprised me too.

Offline mjydrafter

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2013, 01:53:05 PM »
Like James said Napa, or the online BMW.

It sounds like the BMW is the way to go, if for no other reason than you get a decent amount.  I got the Napa hose and did a bunch of looking online, apparently BMW is the only source that can get more than a foot, for around $30... :yow  A foot will do it, but it's close.

:riding:
1986 BMW K75c
1974 Suzuki TC-185 (the little 10 speed)

Offline JamesInCA

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2013, 02:33:32 AM »
Like James said Napa, or the online BMW.

It sounds like the BMW is the way to go, if for no other reason than you get a decent amount.  I got the Napa hose and did a bunch of looking online, apparently BMW is the only source that can get more than a foot, for around $30... :yow  A foot will do it, but it's close.

:riding:
Too close for me. You pretty much need a foot for the main hose, and then stand there thinking, "OK, now about this two-inch piece...."

Offline mjydrafter

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2013, 09:15:41 AM »
I ended up making it work, IIRC I switched the long and short pieces from how they were originally.  It works, but you don't want any mistakes. :nono

I would have ordered the BMW hose, if I had known at the time you got a meter of it.  :bmwsmile
1986 BMW K75c
1974 Suzuki TC-185 (the little 10 speed)

Offline rbm

• ^ Quintessential Motobricker
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2013, 02:00:15 PM »
In the OEM fiche, BMW part number 16131455350 is sold for connecting the return spigot on the fuel cap to the pump filter.  Anyone know if it it immersible (SAE 30R10) type?  The old hose in my K75 was brittle and broke into a million pieces.  It was also very thin walled so it did not appear to be meant for fuel injection pressures.
  • Regards, Robert
Toronto, Ontario

1987 K75 - Build Blog @http://k75retro.blogspot.ca/

Offline JamesInCA

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2013, 05:59:40 PM »
In the OEM fiche, BMW part number 16131455350 is sold for connecting the return spigot on the fuel cap to the pump filter.  Anyone know if it it immersible (SAE 30R10) type?  The old hose in my K75 was brittle and broke into a million pieces.  It was also very thin walled so it did not appear to be meant for fuel injection pressures.
I'm reasonably sure the parts fiche wouldn't have the wrong hose in the tank. The MaxBMW fiche does specifically describe it as submersible, and it's what I put on my bike when I replaced the in-tank hoses about six months ago. So far so good.

It's also not really under pressure. If yours cracked and fell apart it was more likely either just too old, or was an incorrect hose type. It's the hoses before the fuel pressure regulator that are really subject to pressure. When I replaced my fuel return hoses a few weeks ago, I noticed the PO hadn't used fuel-injection hose, and they were none the worse for it.

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2013, 07:30:07 PM »
I'm reasonably sure the parts fiche wouldn't have the wrong hose in the tank. The MaxBMW fiche does specifically describe it as submersible, and it's what I put on my bike when I replaced the in-tank hoses about six months ago. So far so good.

It's also not really under pressure. If yours cracked and fell apart it was more likely either just too old, or was an incorrect hose type. It's the hoses before the fuel pressure regulator that are really subject to pressure. When I replaced my fuel return hoses a few weeks ago, I noticed the PO hadn't used fuel-injection hose, and they were none the worse for it.

The fuel coming out of the fuel pump is "not really under pressure?"  What's the purpose of the fuel pump then?
Once I had a Collie pup. Dug a hole and covered him up. Now I sit there by the hour. Waiting for a Collie-flower.
New to K bikes? Click here.
K Bike Maintenance & Mods: Click here.
Buy parts here.

Offline JamesInCA

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2013, 04:29:51 AM »
The fuel coming out of the fuel pump is "not really under pressure?"  What's the purpose of the fuel pump then?

I'm referring to that particular hose not being exposed to much pressure. It's the fuel coming out of the return line, not coming out of the fuel pump.

Think of a garden hose. Your home's water pressure is probably, what, ~70psi? But when you hold the end of a garden hose, that piece of hose is not being exposed to 70psi, because the water freely exits the hose. If you put a nozzle on the end of the hose, then yes, the part of the hose before the nozzle gets something close to 70psi. But again, if there were more hose after the nozzle, that segment of hose wouldn't be under much pressure to speak of, as the pressure is relieved by the water exiting at the end.

Or think of blowing through a straw. You can develop plenty of air pressure in your lungs to blow hard, but the walls of the straw are not under that much pressure.

So the pressure regulator is like the nozzle. It constrains the flow of fuel from the fuel pump through the fuel rail to ~36psi. But after the pressure regulator, the fuel flows freely back into the tank.

It's not like I'm just making this up ... if that hose were exposed to full fuel-injection pressures, BMW wouldn't have specified a non-reinforced vent hose for that location. 6mm submersible FI hose is available, but instead BMW wants you to use the dinky little tube.

Offline JamesInCA

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2013, 04:54:50 AM »
Also, it's late and memory is failing me at the moment, but I'm not certain that piece of hose is even connected to the return line. I think it may be entirely intra-tank, to get fuel out from behind the baffle at the top rear area, behind the filler cap.  Clymer's doesn't explain it, either.  I do know from experience that the bike doesn't seem to mind it being entirely absent, and it's not present at all on the earliest models.

Offline ljjohns

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2013, 07:59:32 PM »
Just to close this one out:  Automotive supply places (we're using data from Oreilly but I'd suspect this is largely true for most) have 30R10 hose available (probably on special order) for a one-foot long piece (5/16th ID) at around $25. But BMW will provide a one meter lenth of hose for the interior of the gastank for the same price.

We're working with several bikes and can probably use the full meter of hose, but given that a 12 inch piece is a bit tight for a single bike, it seems that for once the dealer source is preferable.

Larry Johnson
  • All in El Paso, garaged in my house, my wife's house, and friends' houses
  • 91K75RT, 95K1100LT, 96K1100LT (restoration project) 2003 K1200LT
Larry Johnson
El Paso TX

Offline Billk

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2018, 12:08:50 PM »
Can you replace the in tank hose through the tank fill without removing the tank from bike?
  • NYS
  • Owned many BMWs and Harley's presently '95 75K and '14 V Strom
Presently own a 1995 K75 and a 2014 Suzuki DL650

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2018, 01:09:00 PM »
Can you replace the in tank hose through the tank fill without removing the tank from bike?
Yes. Remove the four screws holding the cap assembly to the tank, then remove the assembly. When installing the assembly, keep the hinge rearward. Doing that aligns a notch in the assembly with a port designed to drain moisture that accumulates along the perimeter of the cap.
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline Motorhobo

• +20 years of K75
1994/1995 K75 ABS Frankenbike: original engine 136k miles, frame from Gary Weaver (RIP), 173k miles -- Current Odometer: 193k miles
1994 K75 since 2013, 76,000 mi (11k mine) w/California Sidecar Friendship II Sidecar & Black Lab 'Miss B'

Past: 1974 Honda 550/4 (first bike), 1994 K75 (sold), 1995 K75 ABS (parts bike), Sidecar Dog & Best Bud 'Bo' - RIP

Tags: