Author Topic: Removing the tail cowl/installing a tail rack (not K1 applicable)  (Read 5269 times)

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
This is handy if you want to drill holes to install a tail rack or drill a hole for mounting the Audiovox CCS-100 cruise control in the tail cowl.  I'm going to install a CCS-100 in July so I'll add some pictures then.

1) Remove the right side battery cover.

2) Remove the seat.

3) Undo the plastic knobbed machine screws in the tail the hold the tail light lens on.

4) Unscrew the two Phillips screws that hold the rear light wiring harness connector to the back of the black "wedge."

5) On each turn signal, remove the Phillips screw that holds the turn signal lens in place.  Then remove the female blade connectors from the turn signal socket terminals.  Pull the turn signal wires out from the rear.

6) Remove the little black plastic caps on the two nuts on the bottom inside of the tail cowl. (If your bike still has them.)

7) Remove the two 10mm nuts inside the bottom of the tail cowl.  The bracket those attach to may fall to the ground.

8 ) Remove the two 5mm Allen head bolts that hold the metal bar for the rear seat hinge.

9) Remove the two Phillips screws on the front lip of the tail cowl.  The tail cowl and "wedge" can now be removed.

10) Remove the four 5mm Allen head bolts the hold the black "wedge" to the painted part of the tail cowl.  Do not overtighten them when putting them back on as the receptacle they screw into can break free and you'll need to get out your JB Weld to fix them.

11) Drilling holes to mount a tail rack (like the factory tail rack or a Givi E181 base) is actually quite simple because BMW molded perfectly positioned pilot holes into the tail cowl when it was manufactured:

Using a 1/4" drill bit, drill a hole through each of those spots so that the hole is perpendicular to the surface of the "stump" that you're drilling into. (So that the holes will be vertical when the tail cowl is remounted.) Don't press hard on the drill in order to avoid chipping the paint when the drill bit exits on the other side. It might also be helpful to put some tape on the painted exit hole prior to drilling to keep the paint from chipping.  Next, try installing the rack to make sure that your holes are lined up well.  If they're a little off, don't worry.  Just use the drill as a router to make any fine tuning adjustments on the positions of the holes.

You'll want to install the rack before you put the "wedge" back on the tail cowl because it's much easier to install it when you have things apart.

Once I had a Collie pup. Dug a hole and covered him up. Now I sit there by the hour. Waiting for a Collie-flower.
New to K bikes? Click here.
K Bike Maintenance & Mods: Click here.
Buy parts here.

Offline The Chamber Miester

• Curious
Re: Removing the tail cowl/installing a tail rack (not K1 applicable)
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2018, 02:46:13 PM »
 :2thumbup:

Huge help!!

Many thanks!
  • Folkestone
  • K 1100 Rs

Tags: