Author Topic: Synching K Bike Throttle Bodies (applies to all K bikes)  (Read 70745 times)

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
Synching K Bike Throttle Bodies (applies to all K bikes)
« on: May 18, 2011, 08:12:51 AM »
Synching the throttle bodies on a K bike is one of the most overlooked, yet most important, parts of keeping your K bike running as smoothly as possible.

WHY?  The purpose of synching the throttlebodies is to balance the volume of air entering each cylinder.  The usual result is a smoother, better running engine.  It's nitpicking but using this procedure you're not actually balancing the volume of air but balancing the vacuum in each throttlebody.

WARNING: On the throttle assembly you will notice some silver screws with blue paint on them.  DO NOT adjust those or you will be in a world of hurt unless you really know what you're doing.  They are factory set and should not be adjusted.

TOOLS REQUIRED:

Regular screwdriver

Comparative vacuum measuring device (a.k.a. carburetor synchronizer)

There's a few options for a carb synch tool:

I use a TwinMax Carburetor Balancer.  www.casporttouring.com usually has the best price. This instrument compares two vacuum levels.  If I recall correctly the TwinMax hoses aren't a perfect fit on K bikes so I went to the auto parts store and bought two feet of vacuum hose. It's cheap.

There are other options out there that will allow you to simultaneously measure 4 vacuum levels like Carb Stix, CarbTune, Carbmate, etc... Theoretically synching the throttlebodies all at once will yield ideal results but a TwinMax does a good enough job in my opinion.

You can also look around on the Internet for methods to build your own if you want to save a few bucks.

PROCEDURE: Synching the TBs is actually quite easy and quick.  Usually the major portion of work is removing/reinstalling fairing parts to get to them.  If you have an LT or RT model then I did a write-up on IBMWR a while back which will show you how to remove the radio and the fairing pieces. Here's a link to it: K75RT K100RT K100LT K1100LT fairing removal.

Next, start the engine and get it up to operating temperature.  I usually start the bike and then let it idle until the fan comes on.

You will notice that each of the throttlebodies (one per cylinder) has a brass screw at it's base.  You will also notice little rubber caps at the base of each throttlebody.  On two valve K bikes, there is a vacuum hose on the last cylinder that goes to the fuel pressure regulator.

Turn the TwinMax on.  Use the left knob to set it to it's highest sensitivity and then use the right knob to zero the meter.

On the number 1 throttlebody (front of the engine) gently turn the brass screw in until it bottoms out.  Then back it out one and a half turns.

Remove the little rubber caps (replace them if they look old/dry/cracked) from the number 1 and number 2 TBs and connect the TwinMax hoses to them.  Adjust the brass screw on the number 2 TB until the needle movement on the TwinMax meter is bracketing zero.  Number 2 is now balanced with number 1.

Remove the hose from the number 2 TB and replace the rubber cap. Repeat the above procedure for the number 3 TB to balance it with number 1. Then do the same with the number 4 TB.

If you have a 2 valve K bike with a vacuum hose on the last cylinder then in theory it's best to put a "T" vacuum junction on that TB and connect the TwinMax to that but if you're not running dynos and trying to squeeze the last tenth horsepower out of the engine then you should be OK just removing the fuel pressure vacuum hose and connecting the TwinMax hose.  That's how I do it.

Remember to turn the TwinMax off when you're finished.

Put everything back together and go for a ride.

Note that if you find that one or more of the cylinders doesn't respond to turning the brass screws then you probably have an air leak between the throttle body and the cylinder head.  This is easy to confirm by spraying some starting fluid or propane/butane around the boots between the TBs and the head.  If that causes the idle to increase then the 20 year old rubber between the TBs and the cylinder head has most likely cracked and needs to be replaced. 

Also, if you're replacing one of those boots then it makes sense to replace all of them while you have things apart.  You also probably want to replace them with new ones from BMW, not used ones, since I don't see much sense in replacing 20 year old rubber with 20 year rubber.

Here's the part numbers:

K75 or 2V K100: 11611460408  Buy 3 for a K75, 4 for a K100.

K1, K100RS4V or K1100: 11611461621 for the boots themselves and 11611465169 for the O-ring installed at the base of each boot (buy 4 of each)

Here's a link on how to replace them on a 4V K: 4 Valve K Bike Intake Manifold Rehab

And, while you're at it, you might want to consider Getting The Fuel Injectors Reconditioned.

For K75s and 2V K100s be sure to clean around the bases of the injectors (vacuum or compressed air) before pulling them as crud can build up around their bases and fall into the head if you're not careful.
Once I had a Collie pup. Dug a hole and covered him up. Now I sit there by the hour. Waiting for a Collie-flower.
New to K bikes? Click here.
K Bike Maintenance & Mods: Click here.
Buy parts here.

Offline Scott_

• Administrator
Re: Synching the throttle bodies
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2011, 03:58:34 PM »
The attached PDF (provided by Scott_) file describes the procedure and concept behind fiddling with the silver TB screws with blue paint on them that are factory set and are not supposed to be touched.  Fiddle with them at your own risk.
  • My Garage
1995 K1100LT 0302044
1997 R1100RT ZC62149
2017 FLHTK Ultra Limited
1997 K1100LT 0302488 (R.I.P.)
"One who does not ask questions is ashamed to learn" Danish proverb

Offline frodef

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
  • 1986 K75C
Re: Synching K Bike Throttle Bodies (applies to all K bikes)
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2011, 08:28:01 AM »
Here's the Twinmax device, right? http://www.twinmax.co.uk/acatalog/Twinmax.html

Does anyone know if the 5mm or 6mm adapter would suit the K?

Offline DRxBMW

• ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2011, 09:01:42 AM »
Hell, I just use the rubber hoses on the TB ports.

NO issues ______________________.
Gary
Williamsport,Pa

1994 K 75 ABS "custom"
2005 F 650 GS

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2011, 10:35:02 AM »
You can always go to the auto parts store and buy some vacuum hose.  That's what I did.
Once I had a Collie pup. Dug a hole and covered him up. Now I sit there by the hour. Waiting for a Collie-flower.
Buy parts here.

Offline DRxBMW

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2011, 11:47:13 AM »
The attached PDF (provided by Scott_) file describes the procedure and concept behind fiddling with the silver TB screws with blue paint on them that are factory set and are not supposed to be touched.  Fiddle with them at your own risk.

404 on the pdf file Scott.

Can you ping me privately with the attachment ? DRxBMW@aol.com

Inquiring minds need to know.  :yow

Reason I ask, Ron dicked with the intake screw, hence his bike does have some back snapping. I was under the impression one needed a flow bench for the procedure. Maybe NOT !

What I did, was to realign his screw to match the paint marks. Far better but still has some snap,crackle and pop.

THANX _______________.
Gary
Williamsport,Pa

1994 K 75 ABS "custom"
2005 F 650 GS

Offline frodef

• 1986 K75C
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2011, 05:07:23 PM »
You can always go to the auto parts store and buy some vacuum hose.  That's what I did.
Right, I just figured since they sell "adapters" there it'd be easier to just get the correct adapter right away.

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2011, 06:31:20 PM »
On a sidenote,  when they had a slight sale and the exchange rate was decent earlier this year I picked up a Carbtune Pro.  When using it I've found that altering the needle valve on one cylinder may cause the pressure level on some of the other cylinders to change very slightly- so your need to kind of tweak all of them at once to get things truly balanced.

A TwinMax won't allow you to do more than two cylinders at once so the results you get might not be as "perfect."  That said, I used a TwinMax for several years with good results so I certainly still think it's a great product, just that the Carbtune is a hair better.
Buy parts here.

Offline wmax351

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2011, 07:22:12 PM »
I just have a set of Mercury Manometers (Its what Dos Equis man uses test himself, so I assume its good enough for my bike). It can do 4 cylinders (I bought it for my CB550). Got that sucker to idle at 300rpm once, while it was nice and warmed up.

I think I spent all of 30 dollars on this set. Can't beat that.
  • Albuquerque, NM
  • 91 BMW K75 Standard, 98 Moto Guzzi California EV
Bikes:
Current:1991 BMW K75 Standard, 1998 Moto Guzzi California EV11
Past: '83 BMW R65LS, '75 Honda CB550F, '69 Honda CB175, 1999 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, 1973 Triumph Tiger TR7V, 1971 BMW R75/5 in Toaster outfit, 1979 Harley Davidson XLS-1000 Sportster Roadster

Offline Scott_

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2011, 09:35:20 PM »

404 on the pdf file Scott.
OK, I deleted the oringal attachment file and resubmitted it so it should be good now.
  • My Garage
1995 K1100LT 0302044
1997 R1100RT ZC62149
2017 FLHTK Ultra Limited

Offline frodef

• 1986 K75C
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2012, 03:43:36 AM »
I came across this tubing, and thought it'd be fun to try this with three bottles... any thoughts?

Offline DRxBMW

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2012, 08:06:18 AM »
I came across this tubing, and thought it'd be fun to try this with three bottles... any thoughts?

404 on the video (malformed)
Gary
Williamsport,Pa

1994 K 75 ABS "custom"
2005 F 650 GS

Offline frodef

• 1986 K75C
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2012, 08:37:45 AM »
404 on the video (malformed)
Clumsy me, fixed now.

Offline Skeezer

• Motobrick Curious
  • Flyin- Dutchman
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2012, 06:03:39 PM »
I was going to build my own CARB Sync tool. I found a deal on Vacume gauges. How sensitive do they need to be? I was thinking of mounting all 4 to a plate. run all the vacume lines . any thoughts?   :hmm:
1993 K1100LT
My lifes more than half over, quit wastin my time!

Offline Scott_

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2012, 10:55:13 PM »
I was going to build my own CARB Sync tool. I found a deal on Vacuum gauges. How sensitive do they need to be? I was thinking of mounting all 4 to a plate. run all the vacuum lines . any thoughts?   :hmm:

Don't think I'd do it. I work maintenance and work with all kinds of gauges. I have yet to have 2 gauges, let alone 4, that read the exact same.
You want to read the DIFFERENCE between the cylinders, not the individual level.
Your most accurate measurement is to use a liquid level gauge.
Like Drake suggests the Carbtune is the cats meow, the Twin Max would be the next best.

• My Garage
1995 K1100LT 0302044
1997 R1100RT ZC62149
2017 FLHTK Ultra Limited

Offline Lawrence

« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2012, 12:03:34 AM »
My 1985 K100RS is the first bike I've owned with FI.  I've tuned carbs since forever, but FI is obviously a cat of a different color.  The brass screw controls a restrictor in the TB venturi?  Is turning the brass screw opening/closing what on a carb would be the butterfly or slide?  Does this then change the tick-over? Or, is that a function of the ignition timing? Thanks for you patience....
1985 K100RS

1982 Laverda Mirage 1200TS
1983 BMW R100RS
Disagree Disagree x 1 View List

Offline Scott_

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2012, 07:44:28 AM »
With the Brass screw, they adjust "free air" into the mixture, other than what is allowed by the butterfly plates.
Turn the screw in, less air, so then obviously turn the screw out and more free air allowed into the combustion mixture.
I seem to remember that a term used to describe them at one point was "air balance screws".
  • My Garage
1995 K1100LT 0302044
1997 R1100RT ZC62149
2017 FLHTK Ultra Limited

Offline Skeezer

• Motobrick Curious
  • Flyin- Dutchman
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2012, 04:14:38 PM »
Ok. I have the guages and fittings, hose. I thought I would just try one to see what it would read before I opened up the rest.
I tried it on more than one throttle body and the gauge just bounces around ??? If I suck on the tube it shows vacume??I may be in over my head.
1993 K1100LT

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2012, 04:20:15 PM »
Ok. I have the guages and fittings, hose. I thought I would just try one to see what it would read before I opened up the rest.
I tried it on more than one throttle body and the gauge just bounces around ??? If I suck on the tube it shows vacume??I may be in over my head.

At 1,000 RPM the valves are opening and closing a lot so the vacuum isn't stable.  On a TwinMax the needle bounces around but you just adjust the brass screws until the bouncing needle "brackets" the zero.  The CarbTune has pinhole-sized flow restrictors in each vacuum hose to minimize the bounce.
Buy parts here.

Offline Skeezer

• Motobrick Curious
  • Flyin- Dutchman
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2012, 09:12:10 AM »
Thanks
 So if I could restrick the opening it might work. That helps me alot. Thanks again. :bmwsmile
1993 K1100LT

Offline mystic red

• Retired Professsional Driver
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2012, 01:34:12 PM »
Thanks
 So if I could restrick the opening it might work. That helps me alot. Thanks again. :bmwsmile

Well, you could do that but I would go with Duck's advice and just get each one to bounce equally on each side of the zero, if you know what I mean.

Offline Scott_

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2012, 02:19:01 PM »
Thanks

Well, you could do that but I would go with Duck's advice and just get each one to bounce equally on each side of the zero, if you know what I mean.
Scott, that would be good advice if he was using a TwinMax, but he's not.
He's built his own with independant dial gauges.

Yes Skeezer some kind of a flow restricter would help.
  • My Garage
1995 K1100LT 0302044
1997 R1100RT ZC62149
2017 FLHTK Ultra Limited

Offline Skeezer

• Motobrick Curious
  • Flyin- Dutchman
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2012, 09:01:25 PM »
I have restricked the flow and will try tomorrow. As it was the needles were a blur before and you couldn't even see them. I will let you guys know tomorrow.

1993 K1100LT

Offline Lawrence

« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2012, 11:49:52 AM »
Skeezer, you may want to inquire in a pet shop that specializes in aquariums and fish stuff.  Look for a bit of hardware associated with the pumps.  You should be able to find adjustable valves that can be plumbed into the vacuum lines between the gauges and the injector bodies.   Once fitted, you'll have the means to damp them down and stabilize the needles so you can read them.
1985 K100RS

1982 Laverda Mirage 1200TS
1983 BMW R100RS

Offline Skeezer

• Motobrick Curious
  • Flyin- Dutchman
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2012, 02:35:18 PM »
Ok. Heres how it went. You guys were correct in the claim that the for Guages would not read the same.  Out of the 4 only 2 gave an acurrate reading. so I used them.
 Using the procedure erlier in this thread.  Throttle responce and Idle seem smoother. But we had an inch of snow last night so a test ride is out for now.

Thanks for the help
1993 K1100LT

Tags: