Author Topic: What I've done to my Brick and what's to come  (Read 13050 times)

Offline lhead

• ^ Motobrick Curious
What I've done to my Brick and what's to come
« on: December 04, 2012, 03:10:25 PM »
It's been some time since I posted here. The 1100RS is back on the road when weather allows following a complete engine back teardown for driveshaft replacement and a complete spline inspection/relube. It was in sick bay for over a month largely because I just didn't have the time to devote to it at one shot.

To Do over the coming cold spell:

* New tires. Likely PR3's.
* New rear shock. The stock Showa is starting to showa its age after 80k. I'm leaning toward going with a shorter shock since I'm a little on the tiptoey side as it sits currently and pushing the thing backwards on any type of an incline is next to impossible. Is it a good idea to drop the forks in the triple clamps a like amount when going with a shorter shock to maintain neutral handling?
* Respray. I'm going to try and replicate the BMW red from '93. The bike is currently an awful Barney purple.
* Total induction system rubber replace. I recently replaced the line from tank to fuel rail and discovered it was the original. So, all hoses, o rings, FI boots, etc. will be replaced. I'm surprised with the thermal output of the engine that the rubber bits have held up as well as they have. I know that a fuel leak at gravity feed pressure is annoying but a fuel leak under FI pressures can be downright dangerous - even if it is only 40psi.
* Plug wires. Currently there are two OEM wires and two replacement wires with the 90 degree NGK terminals. I'm going to make up a custom set myself with NGK terminals and solid core 7mm wire.
* Seat recover/reshaping. Currently running a Corbin dual canyon seat with a cover that needs replacement. I'm going to also reshape the foam to allow for less bulk where my legs fit over it to further help with feet reaching the ground. Maybe I'll take a little off the overall height as well because the bike has always felt as if I'm sitting perched on it, not so much "in" it.
* Troubleshoot an off-idle stumble that has been there to a degree since I bought the bike. When the throttle is closed either at idle at a light or when going into a corner and then gradually opened, there's a jitter/miss that clears up in a second or two and then things are fine. It's annoying and probably related to 20 year old rubber in the induction system.

I'd also love to totally lose the ABS. Maybe I'm old school but ABS on a motorcycle seems sorta like a solution in search of a problem.

Charlie
1993 K1100rs

Offline ljjohns

• Motobrick Curious
Re: What I've done to my Brick and what's to come
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2012, 07:39:50 PM »
ABS is the solution to deer coming off the shoulder at highway speeds--among a number of other things.

Larry Johnson
El Paso TX
  • All in El Paso, garaged in my house, my wife's house, and friends' houses
  • 91K75RT, 95K1100LT, 96K1100LT (restoration project) 2003 K1200LT
Larry Johnson
El Paso TX

Offline Ocelot

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
  • Ocelot: small, agile, powerful, stealthy.
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2012, 05:24:36 PM »
ABS is the solution to deer coming off the shoulder at highway speeds--among a number of other things.

Larry Johnson
El Paso TX

Been there. Stopped that.
1990 K75C Ocelot
2003 R1200CLC Annie
2007 KLR650 Biffy Bullfrog

Offline Beemer01

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2013, 04:31:27 PM »
You can slide the front forks down to the stops and drop the riding position a bit.  I'm not certain how it impacts the handling though.  The PO of my 85 had done this - I'm tall enough that I moved it back to the factory position.

ABS is a good thing. Ask any Jet pilot.
Dress for the crash, not just the weather...

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2013, 05:13:46 PM »
If you're going to have the seat reshaped/recovered you might want to consider using an OEM seat pan.  Those Corbins have a fiberglass seat pan that weighs a ton compared to the factory one.
Once I had a Collie pup. Dug a hole and covered him up. Now I sit there by the hour. Waiting for a Collie-flower.
New to K bikes? Click here.
K Bike Maintenance & Mods: Click here.
Buy parts here.

Offline Freelancer

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2013, 02:53:53 AM »
It's been some time since I posted here. The 1100RS is back on the road when weather allows following a complete engine back teardown for driveshaft replacement and a complete spline inspection/relube. It was in sick bay for over a month largely because I just didn't have the time to devote to it at one shot.

To Do over the coming cold spell:

*snip*
I'd also love to totally lose the ABS. Maybe I'm old school but ABS on a motorcycle seems sorta like a solution in search of a problem.

Charlie

A)You have my sympathy on having to be off for a month and the associated costs.
B)Glad you're posting again
C)What shock are you gonna go with?
D)Pls post pictures of the repaint when done
E)Agree with Duck on the Corbin being way heavy. I suggest that you have Ssargent reshape and recover your stocker. They will do it for the same cost or less than Corbin will recover theirs last I checked.

*and finally*

F) If you want to remove the aging ABS then do so. I'm not saying that it is smart or dumb to do so, just that it is your bike so do what makes you happy.
As a side note, I removed the ABS off of my '91 K100rs 4v for reasons that I'll state below in my response to ljjohns.

If you want more info about the ABS-ectomy, feel free to ask.

Larry Johnson
El Paso TX

I beg to differ. Riding aware and responsibly is the solution to deer and other road hazard problems. My experience has given me the opinion that relying on 20 year old first gen systems that have already gone dodgy is asking for a trip to the ER or morgue.

The ABS on my 91 tried to kill me twice(Water short in the ABS controller connector locked both pumps up at 70+MPH....on two seperate occasions....the last one after being waterproofed, .....so I'm a bit biased).

My basic point is that if the deer jumps in front of you in a way that your natural reflexes won't save you then its doubtful that the ABS will help any because you have to react to be able to activate the system.
If you have time to react then a safe rider should be able to avoid the deer.

I say "should" because way back in '92, I had a close call with a herd where the buck jumped one way then immediately jumped back the other. It was a very close call but the truth is that ABS still wouldn't have helped that I chose to try and ride around rather than just coming to a complete stop.

Later,
Freelancer
1991 K100RS

Offline lhead

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2013, 08:55:06 AM »
It seems that there are two schools of thought regarding motorcycle ABS. Considering the one on my K doesn't work and hasn't since I've owned it, I'm riding just fine without ABS and would like to lose the weight associated with it.

I've been riding since 1971 and have always considered the analog computer inside the helmet to be my most important and effective safety item. I ride aware and alert. I constantly scan to maintain situational awareness, much like piloting an aircraft (not the only similarity between the two btw). I assume that no one sees me and conduct myself accordingly. Riding paranoid describes it fairly well. I always do a visual check after signaling but before changing lanes. I keep a healthy distance between myself and the vehicle in front of me. I try to make myself and my bike as conspicuous as possible to other drivers. No, I don't wear a dayglo yellow vest.

These habits have served me well over 40+ years and 100k of motorcycle experience.

Right now, the K is on a battery tender waiting for warmer days.

A good 2013 to you all.

Charlie

1993 K1100rs

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2013, 11:12:30 AM »
ABS certainly doesn't help if a deer leaps into the side of your bike while riding. Which has been known to happen.

On the flipside, try heavy braking over a wet manhole cover or a puddle of antifreeze  when some idjut pulls a sudden left or U-turn  in front of you.  Even a Gen 1 ABS system can outdo just about any rider in such a circumstance.

And it doesn't matter how many years or miles you've ridden because if the lack of ABS ever kills you you won't be back on
The Internet posting about how you wish you'd had it.

I can't say that ABS has ever saved my life buy I do know that it has probably saved me a couple of front ends and fairings when braking in situations where traction changed unexpectedly.

It can be annoying when lanesplitting on wet road nipples though. From my experience the Gen 1 ABS works better than the Gen 2 ABS as far as false positives go.

Just my .02....
Once I had a Collie pup. Dug a hole and covered him up. Now I sit there by the hour. Waiting for a Collie-flower.
Buy parts here.

Offline Freelancer

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2013, 04:05:56 AM »
It seems that there are two schools of thought regarding motorcycle ABS. Considering the one on my K doesn't work and hasn't since I've owned it, I'm riding just fine without ABS and would like to lose the weight associated with it.

*snip*

Riding paranoid describes it fairly well. I always do a visual check after signaling but before changing lanes. I keep a healthy distance between myself and the vehicle in front of me. I try to make myself and my bike as conspicuous as possible to other drivers. No, I don't wear a dayglo yellow vest.

These habits have served me well over 40+ years and 100k of motorcycle experience.

Right now, the K is on a battery tender waiting for warmer days.

A good 2013 to you all.

Charlie

Hey Charlie,

Just a couple of things.

1)Again, If you want any input/help on the removal, feel free to ask. The process is pretty straight forward once you've done it, took me a bit because I was pretty new to my K and I had to wait on parts that I ordered in(Spiegler Brake lines, new pads and a few other things I wanted to deal with). I also removed the system with the minimum number of cuts to the harness and capped any such cuts. It was a total removal of the system but I left the bulb monitoring service intact.
Note, If it is a first gen ABS you'll drop 25-ish pounds off of the bike.

2)Riding paranoid is how I describe proper rider awareness, too. :2thumbup: Have used that description since the late 80's.

3)I, also agree about not wearing the day-glo vests. Only time I ever wore one was back when I was enlisted and it was required when taking the MSF training.
In this day and age of everything being bright and lighted, I think that a lot of the bright safety equipment just blends in. Also, a lot of the research used to help push such equipment could be considered to have a bias due to who funds it.

I guess it comes down to where your personal line of compromise between safety and personal freedom is drawn. Mine stops before reaching the point of looking like a circus performer from 1980's Miami heading to a techno rave.

4)A good 2013 to you too, kind sir.

Later,
Freelancer

ABS certainly doesn't help if a deer leaps into the side of your bike while riding. Which has been known to happen.

On the flipside, try heavy braking over a wet manhole cover or a puddle of antifreeze  when some idjut pulls a sudden left or U-turn  in front of you.  Even a Gen 1 ABS system can outdo just about any rider in such a circumstance.

And it doesn't matter how many years or miles you've ridden because if the lack of ABS ever kills you you won't be back on
The Internet posting about how you wish you'd had it.

I can't say that ABS has ever saved my life buy I do know that it has probably saved me a couple of front ends and fairings when braking in situations where traction changed unexpectedly.

It can be annoying when lanesplitting on wet road nipples though. From my experience the Gen 1 ABS works better than the Gen 2 ABS as far as false positives go.

Just my .02....

Duck,

:confused:You advocate his keeping the dodgy old ABS in the name of safety but then admit to lane splitting(I know, legal in california, but still dangerous). Also, don't you ride without a helmet every now and then? :neener: :giggles

All teasing/joking aside, I would like to address the examples you gave. They seem to reflect some commonly held ABS ist uber alles myths that, imo, lead many riders to rely more on the ABS than road awareness.

Your examples of:

1) A wet manhole cover. - This is exactly the kind of thing that you should be avoiding whether you have ABS or not. Why?
When someone cuts you off in the manner you describe, the rider will have to take evasive actions. These actions will likely have the bike leaning when it hits the slick spot. ABS only helps against wheel lock-up, it does nothing for sudden loss of traction due to oily/slick road surface.
In the instances you describe, the tires could very likely start slipping even with no brake applied. Basically, the tires would be skidding but also still spinning.

2)A puddle of anti-freeze when some one cuts you off. -Again, the rider should have been scanning the road to avoid such. I know sometimes you just can't see it and that there is a super slick spot in the road but even then the ABS is usually of limited value. The system basically is there to help keep a panicked rider from making things worse.

You see, I'm neither against the concept or the reality of ABS. It is a fine technology that, when functioning properly, can be an aid to most riders (Though it is of greatest help to inexperienced riders prone to panic stopping) 

What I am against is over dependence on a system to where riders expect it to save them from things it was not designed to handle.

As to your comment about, "it not matter how many years or miles you've ridden because if the lack of ABS ever kills you you won't be back on
The Internet posting about how you wish you'd had it."

The same could be said about riders who depended on the system when they shouldn't have or when it malfuctioned. If the mistake kills them then we won't hear about it.

These first gen systems are now 20+ years old, with fresh replacement parts starting to get scarce. If your system works, great...
still it is only a matter of time before it will need maintenance/parts.

The combination of a malfunctions and scavenged parts can lead to these systems becoming anything from a dodgy constant headache to downright dangerous system. The effort of dealing with an aging system that has become chronically problematic can quickly get to be cost prohibitive and lead one to start resenting/disliking a bike that they had up until that point loved.

Personally, when given the choice of either repairing or ditching a system that had started to affect my confidence in the safety of the bike and my riding enjoyment......I suddenly remembered that the ABS was an option and I opted to remove it.

I know that we disagree on this and most likely are going to continue to disagree. No hard feelings, differences are what make the world interesting. Just wanted to also add my .02.

Later,
Freelancer
1991 K100RS

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2013, 11:22:30 AM »
FL:

Lanesplitting phobia is something unique to North America. Most of rest of the world does it without it resulting in uber-high accident rates.  The notion that it's inherently more dangerous is not shared by all.

I ride without a helmet whenever I can. (On the LT, where it's legal, not raining.)  I'm fully aware of the increased risk but I enjoy it much more than riding with a helmet so TO ME it's worth the additional risk.

I've got well over 100,000 miles under my belt (stopped counting years ago,) much of it without a helmet or wearing a half helmet and I have yet to be subjected to the automatic death sentence that many assume it to be.  Does that prove ANYTHING? Nope. Only that I'm alive today and could still be, helmeted or not, killed in an instant tomorrow.

I think people who take up street riding and then pretend that personal safety is their primary concern are engaged in self-deception.

No matter how many miles I ever have under my belt, how much gear I have on,  how good/safe a rider I consider myself to be or whether I have ABS or not, I will never be arrogant enough to assume that I can control or predict everything that goes on around me and realize that I am exposing myself to an increased risk of personal injury or death every time I throw a leg over. The reality of street riding is that a human body is VERY exposed on a motorcycle riding among multi-ton hunks of moving metal driven by people making mistakes all of the time or not paying attention.  And yes, I'm a human too so I'm capable of making mistakes as well.  If you never ever make mistakes when riding then my hat is off to you.

I don't consider ABS a primary safety feature but a back-up one.  Like any sane rider, out of self-preservation, I try to ride within an envelope of safety that ensures I won't hit anything and that nothing hits me.  I can leave room, pay attention, alter my lane position, stay out of blind spots, etc.. and try to predict what the cars around me might do but I will never be perfect at it and will, on occasion, be surprised.  There have been one or two occasions where I f'd up and the ABS saved me.  You know what?  In those situations I'd rather learn from my mistake, remain upright and keep riding than end up with a smashed bike and an ambulance ride.

The Gen 1 and Gen 2 ABS systems may be "dodgy" by today's standards but the fact is that they do work OK.

Is ABS vs. non-ABS a deal-breaker for me when buying a bike? Nope.  But if I were looking at the exact same bike for the same price with or without ABS I'd probably opt for the one with ABS.

Do I care if other people like/want ABS?  Not in the least.  Just like I don't care what other people choose to wear or ride.  So no, I don't advocate anybody else have or not have ABS.  Personally, I think it has value so I choose not to remove if from my bikes.

Here's an example of when I sure wish I'd had ABS.  I was approaching a slightly angled to the side downhill stop sign on a dry sunny day and not riding fast at all. When I got to the last two feet of the stop the front end washed out and I was instantly turned into a pedestrian as the bike threw itself to the ground. I was left there standing with a WTF look on my face next to my now napping non-ABS K75RT.  What happened?  Right at that spot there was a very fine layer of sand that was the exact same color as the pavement.  Even standing on it it was incredibly hard to see, virtually invisible.  And it wasn't in a place where one would expect there to be any sand. I'm pretty sure that if I'd had ABS that day that the front end would've ABS'd and not washed out. Since I just walked off of the bike at a very low speed and remained upright I did not sustain any personal injury but my fairing got pretty f'd up on the right side.

However, I'm sure that with your zillion miles of riding experience and uber-riding-ESP that you would not have gone down in that situation. (Yes, that was sarcasm.)

And I've had a situations where I've had to ride over a wet manhole cover while braking.  I live in Seattle. The roads are wet here nine months a year and we have lots of manholes.  On one occasion some dipstick to my right started changing lanes without looking. Since his car already occupied the right half of the lane and there was a car in the lane to the left of me, my only viable route of travel was the left half of the lane where I had to brake over a wet manhole cover. I didn't need to brake hard enough to have the ABS kick in but it was nice to know it was there if I did.

(I ride in multi-lane city traffic. I do my best to stay out of blind spots but it's physically impossible to never be in somebody's blind spot.)

Cheers....
Buy parts here.

Offline ljjohns

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2013, 09:21:01 PM »
And just for the record: I'm not a person who, despite my academic training, advocates for universals. I only have two data points for my assertions about ABS: two incidents with the SO in the back where ABS did for me what I couldn't do for the two of us, and that makes it worthwhile for me to maintain the ABS systems on my K75, my K11s and my K12.

Larry Johnson
  • All in El Paso, garaged in my house, my wife's house, and friends' houses
  • 91K75RT, 95K1100LT, 96K1100LT (restoration project) 2003 K1200LT
Larry Johnson
El Paso TX

Offline Freelancer

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2013, 08:54:33 AM »
Lanesplitting phobia is something unique to North America. Most of rest of the world does it without it resulting in uber-high accident rates.  The notion that it's inherently more dangerous is not shared by all.
Used to lanesplit in Germany, Italy and back here in the U.S.. I will agree that when done properly the increased risk is limited primarily to riding on the paint and that it puts you closer to the easily spooked and provoked non-riding public.

I relegated this practice to emergency use only when some friends helped me to understand how lane splitting often hurts how the non-riding populace view the riding community.

I feel that it should be leagal in all major metroplises but at the same time we need better driver education on this practice to keep people on both sides of the drivers window in line. Help drivers get over the, "They are cutting in line mentality" and help reign in the Jackass riders who lanesplit too fast and aggressively.

Quote from: frankenduck
I ride without a helmet whenever I can. (On the LT, where it's legal, not raining.)  I'm fully aware of the increased risk but I enjoy it much more than riding with a helmet so TO ME it's worth the additional risk.
I agree, that we as individuals should have the right to determine the amount risk to which we expose ourselves.

I've got well over 100,000 miles under my belt (stopped counting years ago,) much of it without a helmet or wearing a half helmet and I have yet to be subjected to the automatic death sentence that many assume it to be.  Does that prove ANYTHING? Nope. Only that I'm alive today and could still be, helmeted or not, killed in an instant tomorrow.
I admit you've got me beat on mileage, I've only got 80,000-ish miles of riding. :yes
The concept that there is no gaurantee that there will be a tomorrow and everything else I whole heartedly agree with.

I think people who take up street riding and then pretend that personal safety is their primary concern are engaged in self-deception.
Again, I absolutely agree. The act of riding is an assumed risk. Therefore the rider bears the responsibility for what happens to him from any mistakes he/she makes. This is only modified if it can be proved that someone elses mistake was a contributing factor.

No matter how many miles I ever have under my belt, how much gear I have on,  how good/safe a rider I consider myself to be or whether I have ABS or not, I will never be arrogant enough to assume that I can control or predict everything that goes on around me and realize that I am exposing myself to an increased risk of personal injury or death every time I throw a leg over. The reality of street riding is that a human body is VERY exposed on a motorcycle riding among multi-ton hunks of moving metal driven by people making mistakes all of the time or not paying attention.  And yes, I'm a human too so I'm capable of making mistakes as well.  If you never ever make mistakes when riding then my hat is off to you..
First)I apologize for not being clear in my previous post. The language of this part of your post is pretty much a personal shot at me where you seem to feel that I am arrogant and that I think that I don't make mistakes. This means that my previous post has produced unintended rancor.

I want to be clear and say that nothing in my previous posted was intened as a personal shot. My, "ABS uber alles myth" line was meant as a descriptor of certain language that is very misleading  and has made its way into common usage amongst the riding community.

Second) I make mistakes and have admitted such in this thread.

Third)While I agree, that no one is so perfect as to contol everything around them and that agree that we all make mistakes this is not about arrogance, rather it is about the expectations of the law.

Driving/riding laws operate from the perspective that we "have to be perfect and mistake free". By the law, if we make an error that either affects someone else negatively or in front of a cop we are responsible and have to pay.
This is what rider traing is for. To help us make as few mistakes as possible and to help give us the skills to recover from a mistake unharmed or with minimized damage.
I agree that ABS has a role here but how much of a role is, imo, determined more by the choices we make as riders than by actions of other drivers

I don't consider ABS a primary safety feature but a back-up one.  Like any sane rider, out of self-preservation, I try to ride within an envelope of safety that ensures I won't hit anything and that nothing hits me.  I can leave room, pay attention, alter my lane position, stay out of blind spots, etc.. and try to predict what the cars around me might do but I will never be perfect at it and will, on occasion, be surprised.  There have been one or two occasions where I f'd up and the ABS saved me.  You know what?  In those situations I'd rather learn from my mistake, remain upright and keep riding than end up with a smashed bike and an ambulance ride.
1)We are agreed on ABS as a back-up safety device and that any sane rider shoould know this. My point is that the language surrounding these systems has become misleading in this area and that young/new riders (and car drivers) do not think of it as a back-up but as more of an active safety device

2)I'm glad that you are still with us. And will not argue your experience of the ABS saving you.

3)I will contend that are riders who attribute too much to the ABS system. That the system saved them from their mistake when it played no roll at all. That the system saved them in a situation where having ABS had no bearing on the outcome

4)Here, lets see if I can describe my stance a bit better.

Many riders now-a-days will describe the ABS as a safety feature that will prevent you from washing out if you hit wet leaves in the apex of a curve.

This is patently untrue. The ABS will not magically keep the bike from sliding on wet leaves while leaned over.  Neither will it automatically stop the slide.
What it does in this situation is to prevent the rider from locking up the rear wheel out of panic and it can "possibly" aid in recovering from the skid but such a recovery would be more due to rider skill, the situation and to luck that allows the ABS to help as opposed to it being an inherant safety feature.

Duck, I'm not criticizing you, I'm criticizing the descriptive and misleading language that has crept into the riding community. Language that when one tries to point out the fallacies of which, those using the language feel personally attacked/slighted.

The Gen 1 and Gen 2 ABS systems may be "dodgy" by today's standards but the fact is that they do work OK.
Sometimes.
My issues with the ABS system are not isolated. As these systems age their documented malfuction/failure rates are increasing. We as a community should be adressing this problem by disgussing the issue and all of our options. There is a point in the forseeable future where those that want to keep these systems functioning are going to need to know how to refurbish the existing parts that are wearing out, find a suitable replacement or look at removal as an acceptable option.

I understand that my experiences with the system are my own and that others have have differing experiences. Thats why whenever someone asks about removing the system, my usual reply is that it's their bike and that they should do what they want. I will let them know that I removed mine for my own reasons, that their mileage may vary as to reliability/safety and that I neither encourage nor discourage doing such.

Is ABS vs. non-ABS a deal-breaker for me when buying a bike? Nope.  But if I were looking at the exact same bike for the same price with or without ABS I'd probably opt for the one with ABS.
Or you can find a K with a non-functioning ABS and use that fact to buy it for less than a non-ABS bike. :yes :2thumbup:

Do I care if other people like/want ABS?  Not in the least.  Just like I don't care what other people choose to wear or ride.  So no, I don't advocate anybody else have or not have ABS.  Personally, I think it has value so I choose not to remove if from my bikes.
Not trying to be antagonistic here, but go back and look at what your replies have been on this and other forums when riders had posted that they are considering ditching their ABS. You almost nvariably offer them help on fxing the system.
Yes, I've been lurking on the various forums for years. Coincidentally, your strong involvement with Motobrick is one of the things that lead me to join.
 I hope that you understand that while we disagree on somewhat on this subject, I still have the utmost respect for your knowledge and experience regarding K bikes.

Here's an example of when I sure wish I'd had ABS.  I was approaching a slightly angled to the side downhill stop sign on a dry sunny day and not riding fast at all. When I got to the last two feet of the stop the front end washed out and I was instantly turned into a pedestrian as the bike threw itself to the ground. I was left there standing with a WTF look on my face next to my now napping non-ABS K75RT.  What happened?  Right at that spot there was a very fine layer of sand that was the exact same color as the pavement.  Even standing on it it was incredibly hard to see, virtually invisible.  And it wasn't in a place where one would expect there to be any sand. I'm pretty sure that if I'd had ABS that day that the front end would've ABS'd and not washed out. Since I just walked off of the bike at a very low speed and remained upright I did not sustain any personal injury but my fairing got pretty f'd up on the right side.
First) Glad you came to no harm

Second)Again, I agree that we all make mistakes and miss things.

Third) Where we seem to (correct me if I'm wrong)differ here, is that I look at such things as teachable moments. I don't hesitate to question what I could have done different or possibly why I'm having trouble seeing such things.
Case in point, A few years back, I realized that my vision during dusk was having trouble with the new bright projector lights. I asked myself if it might be age and had my vision tested. Found that while still legal my vision had dropped lost a few points and that I was developing mild astigmatism. I then took steps to adapt my riding to my new limitations.

However, I'm sure that with your zillion miles of riding experience and uber-riding-ESP that you would not have gone down in that situation. (Yes, that was sarcasm.)
Yay, another personal shot.
Seriously Duck, I again apologize for failing in my efforts to communicate. My "ABS uber alles myth" comment was meant to refer to the ridng public in general, not about you in specific.
I would ask that in the future you first ask for clarification as to my intended meaning before assuming that I'm attacking/disrespecting you. Deal?

And I've had a situations where I've had to ride over a wet manhole cover while braking.  I live in Seattle. The roads are wet here nine months a year and we have lots of manholes.  On one occasion some dipstick to my right started changing lanes without looking. Since his car already occupied the right half of the lane and there was a car in the lane to the left of me, my only viable route of travel was the left half of the lane where I had to brake over a wet manhole cover. I didn't need to brake hard enough to have the ABS kick in but it was nice to know it was there if I did. .
A)Sounds a little like riding in Germany and Down here in Houston during the monsoon season(Seattle average annual rainfall 39"....Houston average annual rainfall 46". Though we've been in a drought so we only got 38-ish inches last year).

B)Anyway, glad you escaped without harm.

C)My point was that if your tires could have easily started to slip on the manhole covers with no brake input and if such had happened the ABS would have had no impact on the resulting skid. That's all.

(I ride in multi-lane city traffic. I do my best to stay out of blind spots but it's physically impossible to never be in somebody's blind spot.)
Agreed. This is why the safety courses train us to not let ourselves get boxed in and to have a constantly evolving/changing escape route running through our heads.

BTW, Just realized that we have hijacked this thread enough. I've attempeted to clear up what my intentions were and to clarify my point. I now humbly bow out and will wait and watch :popcorm to see what the OP gets accomplished with his ride.

@OP-Sorry for my role in hijacking the thread.

Later,
Freelancer
1991 K100RS

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2013, 09:28:53 AM »
Not trying to be antagonistic here, but go back and look at what your replies have been on this and other forums when riders had posted that they are considering ditching their ABS. You almost nvariably offer them help on fxing the system.

You obviously haven't read every post I've ever made (and I wouldn't want you to bore yourself to death doing so) but I've also posted on how to remove/ignore it.

To get the blinking light to go out just pull the two blue relays.

If you're pulling the ABS on a K then the easiest way to get the metal lines out without tearing the bike apart is to remove the tank, cut them in half with a Dremel and pull the front halves out from the front and the rear halves out from the rear. (I've removed ABS from a K before. :yow)

When I reply to a post where someone is asking how to fix their ABS or considering pulling it because it's inoperative then I try to help them fix it.

As stated, I don't care what somebody else does to their bike.  Pull the ABS, run a rear tire from a car, paint it metallic pink. I don't care. It doesn't impact my life in the least.

That's about it from me on ABS vs. non-ABS. It's just another oil thread in disguise.
Buy parts here.

Tags: