Author Topic: Circuit Modules to Augment Installation of Aftermarket Instruments on K-bikes  (Read 123813 times)

Offline critter

• Motobrick Curious
Re: Circuit Modules to Augment Installation of Aftermarket Instruments on K-bikes
« Reply #75 on: September 01, 2017, 12:27:43 PM »
By 3-wire digital tacho, do you mean your gauge has a +12V wire, ground wire and RPM sense wire ?  It may be possible to hook up the sense wire  to the coil primary and have it work without any signal conditioning.  Some guys find that the tach needle bounces all over the place though.  It would be better to build a conditioning circuit like the one I describe in my post called "Engine Speed Condition circuit that prevents RPM tachometer needle from bouncing".
yes pos ground and sig wires so i could try on coil but not from dash sig wire for the tacho and thanks for reply
  • australia
  • k100

Offline rbm

• ^ Quintessential Motobricker
Re: Circuit Modules to Augment Installation of Aftermarket Instruments on K-bikes
« Reply #76 on: September 01, 2017, 12:31:16 PM »
Yes, you can use the Black/Red wire on Pin 16 of the OEM gauge as the tachometer signal input to your digital gauge.  Hook up ground to the bike's ground and 12V to the bike's switched 12 volt.  It may work or it may not work; you'll have to experiment.  As I posted, the signal is best conditioned to clean it up.
  • Regards, Robert
Toronto, Ontario

1987 K75 - Build Blog @http://k75retro.blogspot.ca/

Offline critter

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #77 on: September 01, 2017, 12:43:08 PM »
Yes, you can use the Black/Red wire on Pin 16 of the OEM gauge as the tachometer signal input to your digital gauge.  Hook up ground to the bike's ground and 12V to the bike's switched 12 volt.  It may work or it may not work; you'll have to experiment.  As I posted, the signal is best conditioned to clean it up.
how do i go about getting one of your gadgets could you send me details i will buy from you
  • australia
  • k100

Offline critter

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #78 on: September 01, 2017, 12:51:12 PM »
this most prob dumb question but here it comes
say i wanted to run a android tab as my dash useing one of many apps to view is it possable to get a obd2 device to be wired in to k100 to get enough info to work
  • australia
  • k100

Offline rbm

« Reply #79 on: September 01, 2017, 12:57:57 PM »
Sorry, there's no CANbus on the K100 and therefore no ODB2 and therefore no android / IOT integration.  This bike's technology was advanced for its day but BMW could not have envisioned new millenia technology in the 1980's.
  • Regards, Robert
Toronto, Ontario

Offline critter

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #80 on: September 01, 2017, 01:16:11 PM »
Sorry, there's no CANbus on the K100 and therefore no ODB2 and therefore no android / IOT integration.  This bike's technology was advanced for its day but BMW could not have envisioned new millenia technology in the 1980's.
ok i have a old 1981 e12 bmw 528i car that had a scan tool connection why i asked, wasnt sure if bikes had same setup shame one couldnt put a 4cyl 318i computor on k100 without to much nightmares   
  • australia
  • k100

Offline rbm

« Reply #81 on: September 01, 2017, 01:37:49 PM »
If you're looking for modernization of the K-bikes EFI, then go with a Megasquirt.  That will provide you with digital engine control / monitoring.
  • Regards, Robert
Toronto, Ontario

Offline Letomoto

• Curious
are you still building these modules? check your private messages !

Very interesting stuff !
  • Montreal
  • K100rs

Offline ibexonabike

• ^ Motobrick Curious
  • Ibex - Rugged & Capable
I second the inquiry: Are you still producing & selling these? I'm interested in the TGPI.

1987 BMW K75C(T): Ibex
1988 Kawasaki EL 250 : Not-a-Ninja

Offline rbm

For the moment, I have been forced to halt production.  What's happened is that the manufacturer of some electronic parts that I was using in the version 5.1 design have ceased production of those parts and the suppliers no longer have stock.  I have been unsuccessful in sourcing a substitute so I am forced to redesign the board.  That will take a bit of time because I have to find suitable components, get the design proven and then start building boards again.  It won't be terribly long but it will possibly be a few weeks time.

Sorry for this inconvenience.
  • Regards, Robert
Toronto, Ontario

Offline Simon89

• Curious
I am interested in all of the boards you have to offer so that I can fit aftermarket speedo to my k1100. Trouble is I live in the uk
  • Wales
  • VFR800 zzr600

Offline rbm

I am interested in all of the boards you have to offer so that I can fit aftermarket speedo to my k1100. Trouble is I live in the uk
That shouldn't be a problem.  I ship to the UK and all parts of Europe.
  • Regards, Robert
Toronto, Ontario

Offline Simon89

• Curious
I am collecting my bike in a few weeks.  What would I need to keep the speedo and tach and gear indicator and neutral start with a aftermarket gauge . How much would it cost me and what sort of time scale are we looking at? I am not very electrically minded so might need some guidance connecting it all up

Regards
Simon
  • Wales
  • VFR800 zzr600

Offline rbm

Hi Simon,

Take a look at the User's Manual.  It should answer many of your questions.
  • Regards, Robert
Toronto, Ontario

Offline ibexonabike

• ^ Motobrick Curious
For the moment, I have been forced to halt production. 

Is this resolved? Inquiring minds want to know!

Offline rbm

The redesign is finished and boards ordered. Waiting on delivery and can start building again once they arrive.
  • Regards, Robert
Toronto, Ontario

Offline ibexonabike

• ^ Motobrick Curious
Put me in for one, let me know what you need from me.

Offline JPMC

• Curious
Hi
I am interested in the Gear Indicator and Start Enable Board and the speedometer, tachometer amplifier Board.i planing to install the motoscope-mini on my bike, will the speedometer board work with that? https://motogadget.com/shop/en/motoscope-mini.htmlAre you shiping to sweden?
RegardsJohan

• sweden
  • 2017 kawasaki Z900 1985 BMW K100RS 1993 honda NX650

Offline rbm

Hi,

I'll keep you in mind for one when the PCBs arrive.  Yes I ship to Sweden, and the board should work with the Motoscope Mini.  You will need to think about how you will integrate the Motoscope Mini and the separate gear display into an integrated instrumentation panel.  You also have to think about whether you want the gear displayed to you as a number or as a lit bar on a linear display.  These small details change the character and look of your final build.
  • Regards, Robert
Toronto, Ontario

Offline MartinSK

• Curious
Hi,
I am also interested in your TGPI v5. Can you please let me know if they are available yet?
Thank you.
  • Slovakia
  • SMT 990

Offline rbm

Hi Martin,

Yes, I'm producing the boards again after a short manufacturing stoppage because I was waiting for a newly designed PCB to arrive.   Please send me a PM.
  • Regards, Robert
Toronto, Ontario

Offline billy

• Curious
As I have mentioned in previous posts to other discussion threads, I'm designing and building circuits to adapt the K100 electrics to aftermarket gauges.

Gear Indicator and Start Enable Board

The TGPI design has gone through a few iterations, with the current version 4.1 being based on a micro-sized Arduino processor.  This design is adaptable because of the on-board computer and can display the gear in a multiple of ways:
  • With a numeric digit using a 7-segment 0.39" LED display
  • With up to 6 LEDs, each LED representing a selected gear
  • With a direct connection to an aftermarket Koso gauge which has inputs for displaying a selected gear
  • With up to 6 incandescent bulbs, similar to the LEDs, but for a retro look when placed behind a bezel
As shown in the photo below, there is a separate 7-segment display board with a cable length of 150mm, however a custom length can be provided if required..  The intention with such a short cable is that the board and display will be together in an enclosure.  It is possible that this arrangement does not meet with your intended design.  When ordering, I will exchange information with you to understand how and where the board will get use.  This allows me to tailor the display umbilical cable to a length that suits your build.

The Gear Indicator and Start Enable Board also has circuitry to amplify and condition the speed signal coming off the rear drive. Many modern aftermarket speedometers require the use of an active inductive sensor that outputs large voltage levels (>7 volts) for the meter to work properly.  This usually means adding a magnet and aftermarket sensor to the front wheel to get that signal.  The variable reluctance (VR) sensor in the final drive of the K100 is not capable of reproducing these active signals without help.  The circuit on this board will amplify the weak VR signal from the K100 sensor, making it usable for a range of aftermarket speedometers.  This means one can re-purpose the OEM sensor and avoid adding additional sensors to the bike..  This feature means that you don't have to use the manufacturer's speed sensor and worry about finding a place to mount it.

I have developed the next version of the TGPI board (v5.2).  This version includes new functionality and a fundamental change in the design.  There is a circuit now that will condition the engine RPM signal available on the Black/Blue wire (Pin 16) of the OEM cluster, and make the signal compatible with aftermarket tachometers.  I have also included a more robust power supply onboard along with a resettable fuse and transient voltage protection.  This will result in a more robust reliable board than previous designs. Finally I have integrated a circuit on the tachometer output that adjusts the signal to make it compatible with one particularly popular Chinese aftermarket gauge.

The overall size of the board is 4cm X 6cm.

The change in design with v5 means that I manufacture the board based on the type of display you desire.  There are two versions of the build and unfortunately, they are not interchangeable between themselves.  That means we collaborate during the ordering process to make sure I supply you with the correct version of the board.

The tested board and LED display is targeted at $75.00 CDN plus shipping.

TGPI User's Manual Online

Speed and Tachometer Conditioning Circuitry:

If all you're interested in is just the speedometer amplifier circuitry or just the tachometer conditioning circuitry or both, it is possible for me to build only that function on the board and largely ignore the rest of the components.  The cost is significantly reduced, down to $27.00 CDN plus postage, for that board.

3 Circuit Switched Fuseblock

This board provides three switched 12 volt fused circuits in a compact 5cm X 5cm package for powering accessories that you add to your bike.  The switching relay is provided on the card, which simplifies the installation.  These circuits can handle up to 30A current total (the limit on the switching relay's contacts) and has a LED for power indication.  The tested board is $21.00 CDN plus shipping.

The prices are very close to my costs just for the parts that are used.  I'm making no money on these, but making them available to support the community of K-bike owners.

4-Relay Neutral Detect: 

I have designed a printed circuit board to simplify the construction of the popular neutral detect circuit using four relays.  The board using through hole components which should be easy to source locally in a number of markets.  I was thinking of supplying this design in a flexible way, to meet different budgets and skill levels.
  • A completely assembled and tested circuit (first photo)
  • A kit consisting of the PCB and all parts ready to be assembled (second photo)
  • The raw PCB
The board overall is 5cm X 5.2cm in size. It will take input from the TGPI switch and output a Start Enable signal and an active-low Neutral signal whenever the transmission is in neutral position.

• Hampshire
  • K100LT R1200GSlc

Offline billy

• Curious
« Reply #97 on: September 29, 2018, 08:42:14 AM »
Hi  this is just what i am looking for
i am building a custom K1100LT (1994)
i have purchased the cheap ebay clock as i want a new smaller speedo
would like to purchase a board to work with as much functionality as possible
Neutral, indicators, temp , ect can you tell me how to buy one please

when i have it working intend to but the Motogadet Motoscope pro

Best Regards
Mark
  • Hampshire
  • K100LT R1200GSlc

Offline johnny

• TrailBrakingThrottleWhacker
  • Whacking...n...Chopping Sliding...n...High Siding
« Reply #98 on: September 29, 2018, 09:32:29 AM »
greetings...

i gotts one you can buy... i took oem and put it in my ezbake oven to shrink it down... pulled it out at approx 50%...

this looks full size oem... butts is only half the size... see photo attached...

i can dhl it to you today... paypal only...

* DSC02481.jpg (55.2 kB . 768x576 - viewed 823 times)

j o
  • :johnny i parks my 96 eleven hundert rs motobrick in dodge county cheezconsin  :johnny

Offline N68gp

• Curious
Shout out to Rbm, i can finally see the rpm needle move and gears 4, 5 display. 
* 20181020_130329.jpg (49.44 kB . 576x576 - viewed 690 times)
Genius!!
  • Victoria
  • K75

Tags: