Author Topic: Slimming Down the RT  (Read 41673 times)

Offline TimTyler

• Adrninistrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
Re: Slimming Down the RT
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2012, 10:11:54 PM »
BTW - The stainless hardware and nylon washers I used to mount the headlamp housing to the clamps required a trip to the hardware store.

Here's a detail of the Rigid light mount too. (I've got a call into Rigid to switch my lights from spot to flood too.)

I really need to give the bike a bath! It's still got all the dirt and grime from the 7000 mile cross-country trip I just finished.

Offline billday

« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2012, 05:34:38 PM »
Looking really good!

I messed around with different mirrors on my naked K. The problem is the unusual BMW mounting -- to mount non-BMW mirrors you need a post or stud that takes the through-bolt through your levers on one end, and the threaded end of your mirror on the other end. (Visible in the pictures I posted above, I believe.)

I wound up getting the classic BMW "Mickey Mouse Ears," which I found to be scarce used. From Max, about $50 per each; I got a pair of new ones off EBay for $75 for the pair.
  • New York State, USA 10977
  • 1985 K100

Offline TimTyler

• Adrninistrator
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2012, 06:38:36 PM »
I wound up getting the classic BMW "Mickey Mouse Ears," which I found to be scarce used. From Max, about $50 per each...

Me too, Bill.

I spent an hour at the dealer this morning while the rep rifled through their parts bins trying to find a mirror that would fit. No luck. Even an 1100GS mirror that according to the fiche looked like a sure bet, was not as pictured and the post was too short. I ultimately had them order a couple of the stock K75C mirrors for $50 each which will be delivered tomorrow morning. I'll slap them on and test them on my way to Paradise, Mt. Rainier.

I haven't ridden a naked bike in almost 15 years, and I've got to tell ya, I was a bit concerned with my decision to remove the fairing when I jumped on the freeway this morning. The gusty side wind and 70mph headwind caught me a little off guard. After 80 miles of freeway today and another 30 off the slab I'm convince the ride is better without the fairing. The bike is just a lot less work to operate, especially around town. It's really fun now.

Offline jeffhestand

• ^ Motobrick Curious
  • 1985 K100
« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2012, 02:34:46 PM »
billday- on your K100 is that the orig radiator cover. I am stripping  mine down as well and the one i have does not look like that. I have various pieces and parts i got from PO so i may not have the right rad cover. When i look for one what am i looking for?
thanks  jeff
1985 K 100... Gettin better all the time!!

Offline TimTyler

• Adrninistrator
« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2012, 11:50:48 PM »
Took some time this morning to clean off the road grime and dirt from the last 7000 miles, shine the tank with Liquid Glass polish, replaced the RT clutch cable with one sized for C-bars, and filled the tank with good gas.

Got the mirrors from the dealer in Tacoma as expected around noon, and picked up a shorter choke cable while I was there..

Tested it all out on a 150 mile jaunt to Paradise, Mt Rainier and then back home. Great day for a ride.

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2012, 12:05:03 AM »
Amazing weather we're having here this year.  If this is global warming then I want more of it.
Once I had a Collie pup. Dug a hole and covered him up. Now I sit there by the hour. Waiting for a Collie-flower.
New to K bikes? Click here.
K Bike Maintenance & Mods: Click here.
Buy parts here.

Offline TimTyler

• Adrninistrator
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2012, 12:16:44 AM »
I moved to WA in '91 and there have been maybe three memorably pleasant summers in western Washington since then. This one got a late start but it takes the cake for sure. We had almost eight consecutive weeks of zero-precipitation here this year which is unheard of.

For those who don't know, summer in Seattle is typically July and August. Any sunny warm weather before or after that is welcomed locally with astonishment. June is often called Junuary here, and the clouds are typically back to stay by Labor Day.

Offline billday

« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2012, 10:14:00 PM »
billday- on your K100 is that the orig radiator cover. I am stripping  mine down as well and the one i have does not look like that. I have various pieces and parts i got from PO so i may not have the right rad cover. When i look for one what am i looking for?
thanks  jeff
Yes it's the radiator cover from the K100 "standard." Very few of that model were sold in the USA and they are very hard to find. Here's how I got mine: A guy from Australia posted pics of his bike over the years -- in the first pic, the bike had the radiator cover on it, so I emailed him and asked if he still had it lying around. Lo and behold....

It has three major parts -- two sides and a center -- plus various clips screws and fasteners. You can see it on Max's fiche.

Looking forward one day to getting a paint job so everything on my bike matches...
  • New York State, USA 10977
  • 1985 K100

Offline TimTyler

• Adrninistrator
« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2012, 03:19:14 PM »
I decided to add a windshield to cut down on headwinds pounding into my chest at 70mph. The naked front great is fine and fun everywhere besides the freeway IMO.

I considered the Maier fairing that Bill recommended, but decided I didn't want to enclose the headlight. The Maier does look fantastic on a K bike though.

I chose the National Cycle N2524 F-Series F-16 Light Tint Windscreen which arrived via UPS ground six days after ordering. I paid $85 though and it looks like it's less now?  :hmm:

The N2524 installed easily. I loosened the headlight clamps where they clamp to the fork tubes, and disconnected the headlamp from the mounting brackets. The windshield slips between the brackets and lamp assembly. An extra small adjustable clamp thingy on each side of the windshield prevents the windshield from tilting. I had to move my horns to the lower fork tree.

The windshield does its job perfectly. At my most upright riding position I can feel a little draft on my helmet but most of the wind misses me entirely. I like the way it looks too.

I am thinking about switching back to the RT bars too. The C bars might be okay with bar-backs, but they're pretty uncomfortable for my arms. They position me in a weird mid-point. Ideally I'd be leaning a little less or more, but not exactly where they put me.

Offline TimTyler

• Adrninistrator
« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2016, 10:09:44 PM »
I found and installed a K100 radiator shroud which fits the K75 RT model since they share the same fuel tank and larger radiator.

Added front crash bars from the K75RTP (Police) model.

Replaced OEM rear luggage and rack with a Hepco-Becker rear rack and Happy Trail aluminum tragkorbs. Had the rack reinforced at my local welding shop.

Also chopped off the back of the seat and added a 1/4" aluminum plate and a Happy Trail top box.

Switched all lights including headlight to LED's.

Offline The Mighty Gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2016, 01:42:57 AM »
I don't know if you already posted it, but is your LED headlight an H4 replacement?  How does it work at night, and is it legal? 
  • In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:
'91 K100RS16V "Moby Brick Too"

Past:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'92 K100RS16V "Moby Brick" (RIP, deceased in a vehicular assault)
'94 K75S Special Edition Dakar Yellow "Cheetos"
'89 K100RS Special Edition "Special Ed"

Offline TimTyler

• Adrninistrator
« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2016, 09:59:00 AM »
It's H4 and legal.

It works great at night. The only caveat is that, since the single LED beam is very focused, any dirt or bugs on the glass create sharp shadows on the ground ahead.

Truck-Lite (27270C) Headlamp

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2016, 10:00:44 AM »
Doesn't look like I can retrofit it to my RT headlight.  Darn!!!
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:

Past:

Offline TimTyler

• Adrninistrator
« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2016, 10:02:47 AM »
What about this one?   Truck-Lite (27450C) Headlamp

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2016, 12:45:14 PM »
Looks good, but it's 5 x 7 and the old one is 6.5 x 9 plus the parking light.  Hard to go $200 for something that I may not be able to make work. 

I think I'll just have to keep looking.  The way LED's are coming on, it shouldn't be too long before somebody has a plug-and-play LED replacement for a standard H4 bulb.
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:

Past:

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2016, 12:51:38 PM »
it shouldn't be too long before somebody has a plug-and-play LED replacement for a standard H4 bulb.
How about now, at least according to this ad copy?
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.
https://tinyurl.com/RillRider

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: April 15, 2016, 01:06:55 PM »
I've seen those.  Reviews don't sound real good.  "Disco Ball effect" probably says it all. 

It's just a matter of time before they make one with the point source lumen output that doesn't incinerate itself without a bulky heatsink.
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:

Past:

Offline gag1025

• Ride It Like You Stole It
  • ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #42 on: April 15, 2016, 06:59:40 PM »
Tim, I am going to make the K75 RT to K75 conversion on my 1992 K75 RT next fall/winter. I just bought it. Thanks for the photos. I was able to find a complete headlight assembly on eBay as well as as a great deal on the factory front turn signals. This is the first bike I have ever had with fairings and I really do not like the look of these fairings. I have never had a need for them plus I like the look of street bikes much better than the ones with all the plastic. Just my personal preference.
  • Gibsonville, NC
  • 1992 BMW K 75 RT ABS but soon to be a Naked K75

Offline gag1025

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #43 on: April 15, 2016, 07:37:44 PM »
  • Gibsonville, NC

Offline gag1025

• ^ Motobrick Curious
  • Gibsonville, NC

Offline gag1025

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #45 on: April 15, 2016, 09:18:04 PM »
Tim, where did you get your LED lights. Does the headlight use an electronic module like the HID Xenon headlight system? On my hot rod truck (1953 Chevy) I used LEd bulbs in the turn signals, brake lioghts, and parking lights. the ones I used for that application fit into teh existing bulb holders and all I had to do was use a double ground flasher.  I am, however, not that familiar with LED headlights.
  • Gibsonville, NC

Offline TimTyler

• Adrninistrator
« Reply #46 on: April 15, 2016, 10:24:08 PM »
Gag,

I got my fork ears at Dime City Cycle. Check their site.

Offline gag1025

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #47 on: April 15, 2016, 11:51:54 PM »
Tim, I have one question. Will the radiator shroud on my 1992 K75 RT fit back on once I remove all the plastic in the conversion process. I noticed that you used a K100 shroud.
  • Gibsonville, NC

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
« Reply #48 on: April 16, 2016, 09:47:25 AM »
Tim, I have one question. Will the radiator shroud on my 1992 K75 RT fit back on once I remove all the plastic in the conversion process. I noticed that you used a K100 shroud.
The answer is in Reply 35 of this thread.
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.
https://tinyurl.com/RillRider

Offline gag1025

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #49 on: April 16, 2016, 08:26:35 PM »
Are you referring to reply #34 which said "I found and installed a K100 radiator shroud which fits the K75 RT model since they share the same fuel tank and larger radiator" because reply #35 did not mention the shroud. Plus this answer in reply #34 did not answer my question.
  • Gibsonville, NC

Tags: