Author Topic: Rigid Industries Dually LED Lights  (Read 29164 times)

Offline TimTyler

• Adrninistrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
Rigid Industries Dually LED Lights
« on: August 20, 2012, 07:38:47 PM »
I installed the Rigid Industries Dually LED lights. I chose the black, spot beamed version (#20221) since I thought they might be better aimed away from the eyes of oncoming traffic, and they're supposed to illuminate twice as far into the distance as the flood version. I figured I can always add some diffusion to the housing if I want to soften the light output.

The build quality seems excellent. They feel solid. The case is made from just two aluminum pieces.

The lights ship with a well made wiring harness that Y's out from +/- battery connectors to a pair of water tight quick release plugs. The two fixtures have about 6" of nice jacketed cable, terminating at the quick release plug.  Rigid expects the lights to be mounted using the included brackets that attach with 6mm bolts.

I removed the fork reflectors and mounted the fixtures (without the brackets) using long 1/4" bolts since my local hardware store didn't have anything long enough in metric. I had to drill out the 6mm pathway for the bolts in the fixture to fit the slightly larger diameter 1/4" bolts. The store also only had one steel 1/4 x 3/4" spacer left too, so one of my fixtures is temporarily installed with a plastic/nylon spacer. I used star washers on each side of the fixtures to dissuade the lights from slipping. The bolts, which also help hold the plastic front fender, are torqued tight, but not extra tight.

Since the light draw less than 2 amps, I wired them directly into the unused BMW alarm socket in the relay box along with my USB phone charger. The lights will automatically be turned on only when the ignition key is in the Run position.

In full sun the lights are waaaaaaay brighter than the headlight, and they're very directional. I could not stare directly at them for more than a few seconds from 10 meters away. I've aimed them down a bit.

Going for a ride a little later and will report back.

Rigid Industries

Offline Turkus

• Rollin' The Brickus Turkus - '93K75S
  • ^ Proficient Motobricker
  • Recalculating.....
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2012, 07:48:24 PM »
I'll be interested to know what the reach of the beam is on a dark road and just how much of a "spot" beam you really have....

Thanks !!  :2thumbup:
You can get more with kind words and a REALLY BIG gun, than with just kind words...trust me

Offline sh00ter

Re: Rigid Industries Dually LED Lights
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2012, 08:28:33 PM »
Nice, thanks for the write up-can't wait to hear more!
'94 1100 RS

Offline TimTyler

• Adrninistrator
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2012, 11:58:37 PM »
Sorry, no pictures yet. So far I've just had time for a 15 minute ride at dusk today.

The beam is extremely directional. I aimed the lights so the hot spots were on the pavement at about 15 feet from the bike. The LED's are so bright that many oncoming vehicles still flashed their high beams at me. The color of light is very white, probably 6k-7k Kelvin.

I viewed the bike from about 200' in front and the LED light (at dusk) was blinding.

Obviously I'll need to do something to reduce the intensity of the beam. Rigid makes strap-ons covers in various colors. Maybe those with some carefully placed bits of opaque tape might shape the beams.

Offline argent brick

• ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2012, 12:40:55 AM »
I like these lights. Please keep us posted.
Lynn

Current:
1995 K75/3A Standard

Past:
1978 Yamaha xs750(P.O.S.)
1976 R60/6 RIP

Offline Crapdealerbob

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2012, 08:14:37 AM »
Wow - Those are huge !! 
Crapdealerbob
Wickenburg, AZ
1991 K100 RS

Offline TimTyler

• Adrninistrator
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2012, 03:36:55 PM »
I've moved the lights higher to better direct the beam away from oncoming eyes. It's only a foot higher, but it should make a difference.

These photos were taken at noon, mostly sunny.

Offline Turkus

• Recalculating.....
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2012, 05:33:37 PM »
I've moved the lights higher to better direct the beam away from oncoming eyes. It's only a foot higher, but it should make a difference..

Any way to move them up near the mirror housings ??
The higher up you go, the less "splash-back" you get....and the more efficient for "spot type" beams.
(or so I'm told by long distance night riders  :dunno)
You can get more with kind words and a REALLY BIG gun, than with just kind words...trust me

Offline TimTyler

• Adrninistrator
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2012, 05:37:19 PM »
Moving them higher would require drilling holes in the side of the fairing.

Also, if the bike tips over, the aluminum light housing would cause some real damage to the tupperware.

Offline Turkus

• Recalculating.....
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2012, 05:40:44 PM »
Moving them higher would require drilling holes in the side of the fairing.

Also, if the bike tips over, the aluminum light housing would cause some real damage to the tupperware.

Just wondering what your options are........

I've got all the hardware for the R1200RT-P for auxilliary light mounts above my mirrors (when I pull the trigger on some lights) - what's out there for your Brick ??

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2012, 05:49:03 PM »
You can use a bracket under the mirror mount - like so:

Once I had a Collie pup. Dug a hole and covered him up. Now I sit there by the hour. Waiting for a Collie-flower.
New to K bikes? Click here.
K Bike Maintenance & Mods: Click here.
Buy parts here.

Offline TimTyler

• Adrninistrator
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2012, 06:23:20 PM »
Where did those brackets come from?

I'm tempted to mount the lights above the mirrors, as illustrated in the mock-up photo attached.

I'm hesitant to mount them anywhere they'll do tupperware damage during a tip-over, which for me and my short legs is about once a year.

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2012, 06:40:12 PM »
Where did those brackets come from?

I bought them on Fleabay many moons ago. (2005?)  I think Reynolds used to make them a LONG time ago.
Once I had a Collie pup. Dug a hole and covered him up. Now I sit there by the hour. Waiting for a Collie-flower.
Buy parts here.

Offline argent brick

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2012, 07:09:40 PM »
If you can't figure out any other way, make a custom mount.  Find a sheet metal shop that has a laser cutter. Final cost should be minimal if your design is simple and you can wait for your parts until the laser is in use for a bigger project. Cost for supplies should not be that high. It is the set up and take down fees that give your wallet a pounding. I was quoted just a few bucks for a project if I could wait until the cutter was in use for a bigger order for another customer.
Lynn

Current:
1995 K75/3A Standard

Past:
1976 R60/6 RIP

Offline CRASH

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2012, 07:40:27 PM »
To avoid any unwanted attention, check your local laws for light height.  I know several people that have had issues.

For example:

V C Section 24402 Auxiliary Driving and Passing Lamps

Auxiliary Driving and Passing Lamps

24402.  (a) Any motor vehicle may be equipped with not to exceed two auxiliary driving lamps mounted on the front at a height of not less than 16 inches nor more than 42 inches. Driving lamps are lamps designed for supplementing the upper beam from headlamps and may not be lighted with the lower beam.

(b) Any motor vehicle may be equipped with not to exceed two auxiliary passing lamps mounted on the front at a height of not less than 24 inches nor more than 42 inches. Passing lamps are lamps designed for supplementing the lower beam from headlamps and may also be lighted with the upper beam.
- CRASH -

Offline TimTyler

• Adrninistrator
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2012, 08:34:50 PM »
Interesting. The top of the headlamp is 42".

Damn.

WA State:

(3) Auxiliary passing lamps. Any motor vehicle may be equipped with not to exceed two auxiliary passing lamps mounted on the front at a height not less than twenty-four inches nor more than forty-two inches above the level surface upon which the vehicle stands. The provisions of RCW 46.37.220 shall apply to any combinations of head lamps and auxiliary passing lamps.

(4) Auxiliary driving lamps. Any motor vehicle may be equipped with not to exceed two auxiliary driving lamps mounted on the front at a height not less than sixteen inches nor more than forty-two inches above the level surface upon which the vehicle stands. The provisions of RCW 46.37.220 shall apply to any combination of head lamps and auxiliary driving lamps.

Fortunately the county I live in does not require vehicle inspection.

I went ahead and moved these to the fairing above the mirrors. They're at about 50" now. Guess I'll at least have to install an on/off switch for them.

Test ride tonight.

Offline mac

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2012, 04:57:14 PM »
first post!
So I guess based on your experience you'd recommend against the Floods?
I was thinking of getting a fog-type pattern in amber for my K75T, and was considering the Duallys.
---
'86 K75T

Offline argent brick

« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2012, 06:06:31 PM »
I am hyped up about these light too!

Hey Mac, Welcome. How about a post in the front porch section so we can all get to know you.

Lynn

Current:
1995 K75/3A Standard

Past:
1976 R60/6 RIP

Offline TimTyler

• Adrninistrator
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2012, 12:44:09 AM »
This afternoon I added a layer of orange photographic lighting gel between the reflector and the glass. The gel is made to withstand very high heat and its color converts cool daylight into warm tungsten. The LED's color now appears about the same as my headlamp. The gel also reduces the intensity of the LED output (by almost 2 stops for the photographers in the house).

Offline TimTyler

• Adrninistrator
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2012, 01:08:08 AM »
Took her out for a ride today at pre-dusk.

I left the LED's on, pointed the same as the other day (but they're mounted much higher now) and no one flashed their brights at me. That's good. Oncoming traffic was flashing me the other day under the same lighting conditions.

After dusk I experimented with different combinations of low beam, high beam, and LED aux lights on some dark country roads travelling about 40mph. Ultimately I preferred the standard K75 high beam for dark lonely roads, especially since its easily switched off for oncoming traffic. (Like a fool I mounted the Rigid switch on the right side above the glove box. Doh.) The BMW high beam is shaped nicely. Its reflector was designed perfectly for the task IMO.

The Rigid lights are incredibly bright, even after adding the lighting gel. Turning them on was like having a police helicopter illuminating the 50' of road directly in front of the bike. Unfortunately that's not terribly helpful unless I'm travelling at 30mph. Aiming them higher (straight on) helps, but would be absolutely blinding to any oncoming eyes.

I think what I'll end up doing is adding some diffusion gel to the LED fixtures so they're not blinding, remounting them below the headlight, and using them strictly for "conspicuity" lights during daylight driving. Who knows, maybe flood LED's would be better rigged up to the BMW high beam switch.

These photos were all taken using the same exact settings.
They are: BMW low beam, BMW high beam, high beam with LED's aimed a little down, high beam with LED's aimed straight on.
FYI - These photos appear darker than what the eye sees (unless you're 60+ years old  :lol:).

Offline sh00ter

« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2012, 08:09:00 AM »
Nice.   Why not wire them in to your high beam switch? Then you have easy on/off and can point them a little higher. 
'94 1100 RS

Offline TimTyler

• Adrninistrator
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2012, 11:10:48 AM »
Nice.   Why not wire them in to your high beam switch?

Maybe. Is that just a matter of tapping into the high beam wire at the headlamp?

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2012, 11:16:44 AM »

Maybe. Is that just a matter of tapping into the high beam wire at the headlamp?
[/quote]

Or tapping into the white wire from the left combo switch if you're using a relay - which you should do regardless of how they're wired.  (A good time to add headlight relays while you're at it.)
Buy parts here.

Offline TimTyler

• Adrninistrator
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2012, 09:34:31 AM »
Thanks for the "high beam switch" suggestions. That's what I did.

I removed the orange gel, remounted the lights back under the headlight, and added a relay for the high beam and LED's.

Went out for a ride late last night on some The amount of light output from those LED's is astonishing. I have the Rigid fixtures tilted straight forward (horizontal) and angled just slightly to the outside, and on a straightaway at 65mph I can clearly see about 5 seconds of the road ahead. That's 5 seconds of very bright road and whatever is just off the roadside.

I think the spot beam was actually the best choice since it compliments the BMW beam to illuminate near and far quite evenly. Enough of the LED light spills to the sides to see into the roadside brush and if there were deer hanging out just off the road they would be illuminated.

Offline mac

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2012, 03:27:29 PM »
Got my duallies (white spot) and a Skene Design IQ170 lighting controller this week. Planning on installing on the brake caliper bolts this weekend. The controller will allow the LEDs to run at a configurable low-power when the low beams are on, and full blast when the high beams are on. Hopefully this will keep oncoming traffic happy. Will report back.
---
'86 K75T

Tags: