Author Topic: Clutch replacement without a new throw out bearing?  (Read 872 times)

Offline Lbxpdx

• ^ Motobrick Curious
Clutch replacement without a new throw out bearing?
« on: October 08, 2023, 03:45:55 PM »
I was going over my paperwork from my new to me 92 K75rt that I bought a few months ago.  The original owner got hosed as he had a new clutch installed and 500 miles and a year later he needed another new clutch.  Two different dealers.  What I don’t see if a new throw out bearing in the receipts, unless it is included in the clutch kit from the first dealer.  Is it normal to keep the old throw out bearing when doing all the other bits around it?

• Portland
  • 1992 K75Rt 1972 R60/5 1977 R100S

Offline Chaos

• Administrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
  • Mars needs women!
Re: Clutch replacement without a new throw out bearing?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2023, 05:31:50 PM »
bearing should have been in the clutch kit on the first service, it was probably still good when the disc got contaminated and replaced in the second service.
  • sw ohio
1987 K75S    VIN 0231
Original owner, Original litter
200,000 miles (plus or minus) and 5 paint jobs
sold 6/23
2023 Ural 2WD sidecar (BMW's bastard step child)

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2023, 06:51:50 PM »
Old-style throw-out bearings are multi-piece assemblies. If the bearings and races are undamaged, they might just get greased and reinstalled. If they are questionable, they usually get replaced by the sealed, one-piece unit. At Max, a clutch pack comprised of diaphragm spring, pressure plate, clutch plate, housing cover and assorted screws, washers, compression ring and o-ring runs ≈$550.00 in today's dollars. A new-style one-piece clutch piston/bearing runs ≈$116.00 in today's dollars, so it seems judging from the price back then, they just greased an old-style bearing and race setup that was in good condition, but needed to replace its cup (piston). it should work ok, if that's what happened. Possibly, the new-style wasn't available.

• Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.
https://tinyurl.com/RillRider

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2023, 03:02:15 AM »
The throwout bearing is not "greased" with anything. It is lubricated by the gear oil in the transmission.
Once I had a Collie pup. Dug a hole and covered him up. Now I sit there by the hour. Waiting for a Collie-flower.
New to K bikes? Click here.
K Bike Maintenance & Mods: Click here.
Buy parts here.

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2023, 08:06:06 AM »
The throwout bearing is not "greased" with anything. It is lubricated by the gear oil in the transmission.
"Greased" was being used in its cleansing rather than its lubricative sense—a peculiar and idiomatic usage, certainly—but yours is an incisive observation nonetheless and devoted readership is always gratifying. icon_cheers
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline Arktasian

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2023, 09:30:05 AM »
If I might offer a note of appreciation for the tireless moderation as offered by @Laitch - an esoteric blend of high tech with superb grammar inserts resulting in a "multitask" experience on each site visit.
I trust these comments might be taken in a cleansing manner.
  • Abbotsford

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2023, 04:37:20 PM »
To summarize, it's generally good practice to lubricate naked bearings when installing them; things happen despite your best intentions.  :laughing1:

• 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline pinhead

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2024, 04:52:15 PM »
If you want to reduce wear on your throwout bearing, do not idle for long times engaged in a gear.  When I come up to a stop light i put trans in neutral and leave clutch up.  This means that throw out bearing is not engaged. When the light changes I pull clutch down and pop in gear and take off.  I do this instinctively with all my vehicles with standard trans.
  • sacramento, ca
  • 1985 RT 100

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2024, 07:42:02 PM »
I keep my Brick in first gear when idling so I can quickly move out of trouble's way when necessary. Throw-out bearing wear isn't a consideration. This one has gone 90,000 miles. Maybe the early multi-piece bearings were problematic.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline Past-my-Prime

• All of us are better when we're loved.
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2024, 02:23:51 PM »
I was going over my paperwork from my new to me 92 K75rt that I bought a few months ago.  The original owner got hosed as he had a new clutch installed and 500 miles and a year later he needed another new clutch.  Two different dealers.  What I don’t see if a new throw out bearing in the receipts, unless it is included in the clutch kit from the first dealer.  Is it normal to keep the old throw out bearing when doing all the other bits around it?

Holy shit 21 hours of labour??!! I'm not a mechanic, and I replaced my clutch faster than that, including beer breaks and time spent scratching my head.

so . . . "hosed" may well apply here for multiple reasons. Which cause me to laugh when I read "HOSING DID NOT INSTALL" whatever that might mean.
  • North Shore of Lake Superior (in my garage)
  • BRICK: 1989 K75 RT - Rocinante; NON-BRICK: 2007 F650 GS Dakar - Betty Blue

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2024, 06:23:18 PM »
. . .  I read "HOSING DID NOT INSTALL" whatever that might mean.
It means hosing is a function separate from Installation. Installation is done by service technicians. Hosing is done by service managers.  :laughing4-giggles:
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Tags: