Author Topic: Tire recommendations  (Read 168068 times)

Offline F14CRAZY

• ^ Quintessential Motobricker
Re: Tire recommendations
« Reply #125 on: April 17, 2017, 11:43:09 PM »
I've wanted to try a Pilot Activ but when a Shinko Tour Master is $105.95 (list) and lasts 12k miles and is awesome...How much are Pilot Activs?
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • '87 K75C
'87 K75C w/ Pichler V1 fairing. LED's, CATZ driving lights, Audiovox cruise, LT top case, tons of other mods by Drake...

Offline kmev

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #126 on: April 18, 2017, 08:00:48 AM »
I've wanted to try a Pilot Activ but when a Shinko Tour Master is $105.95 (list) and lasts 12k miles and is awesome...How much are Pilot Activs?

Online, the rear is $132 and the front is $108. For some reason I have strong aversion to buying a tire brand named Shinko.
  • Madison, Wisconsin
  • 1994 K75s

Offline F14CRAZY

« Reply #127 on: April 18, 2017, 09:45:26 AM »
$77.34 for a rear Tour Master at Motorcycle Superstore currently. I'm on my third rear. They're excellent tires. Johnny likes Shinko's too.
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • '87 K75C
'87 K75C w/ Pichler V1 fairing. LED's, CATZ driving lights, Audiovox cruise, LT top case, tons of other mods by Drake...

Offline johnny

• TrailBrakingThrottleWhacker
  • Whacking...n...Chopping Sliding...n...High Siding
« Reply #128 on: April 18, 2017, 09:57:09 AM »
greetings...

the rs eleven hundert shinkos are not a direct replacement...

last summer i scored a set of stones t30 evos... was surprised... nearly shinko money... and really fine tiors...

just turned all 1up 6k on them... wow... im calling them better than than the metzger avon mitchlyn conti shinko and others ive tried on the rs eleven hundert...

http://www.bridgestone.com/products/motorcycle_tires/products/detail/pr009/index.html

j o
  • :johnny i parks my 96 eleven hundert rs motobrick in dodge county cheezconsin  :johnny

Offline scsbronco

• Curious
« Reply #129 on: April 22, 2017, 10:16:54 AM »
I'm going to try out Roadtec Z6. 172$ shipped from Revzilla plus an additional 40$ rebate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Michigan
  • K100Rs

Offline scsbronco

• Curious
« Reply #130 on: April 22, 2017, 10:41:26 AM »
greetings...

my experience is the z6 will be very good until the rubber goes to cords... so keep an eye on the rear after a few thou... it happens very fast when it happens...

j o

Thanks Jo, I had seen some pics of them at the cords. I was wonder what that was about.

• Michigan
  • K100Rs

Offline kmev

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #131 on: June 07, 2017, 09:59:13 PM »
The official Michelin Pilot Active mileage report: the below image is after 11 months and 12,361 miles. I intended to put an additional 1,000 miles on the tires, but leaving for work this morning I had a flat rear tire and discovered a very large nail - so I just installed the new tires I had waiting in the garage. The arrow is pointing to the wear bar - when flush it indicates 1/32" of tread left. There is probably 2/32" of tread left. The front tire had about 3/ or 4/32" left, but I replaced the front also as I am heading cross country in ten days. I also discovered my "angular bearing" was pretty rough, so new bearings ordered today and installed tomorrow.

Edit: I forgot to mention that I have no complaints on these these tires. I ran them between 32 and 98 degrees Fahrenheit, in both wet and dry conditions, and between 60 mph back roads to 90 mph interstate - I am very happy with them (especially since they are not labeled "shinko" :eek: ).
  • Madison, Wisconsin
  • 1994 K75s

Offline wmax351

« Reply #132 on: June 09, 2017, 08:06:19 PM »
I'm liking my shinko 230 rear that replaced my flat pilot active.

I think it handles the wet a little better, and I ride rain or shine.
  • Albuquerque, NM
  • 91 BMW K75 Standard, 98 Moto Guzzi California EV
Bikes:
Current:1991 BMW K75 Standard, 1998 Moto Guzzi California EV11
Past: '83 BMW R65LS, '75 Honda CB550F, '69 Honda CB175, 1999 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, 1973 Triumph Tiger TR7V, 1971 BMW R75/5 in Toaster outfit, 1979 Harley Davidson XLS-1000 Sportster Roadster

Offline Enfield

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
« Reply #133 on: July 19, 2017, 01:43:51 AM »

Heidenau Scout 140/80-17... its a thight fit. Not tried on Road yet. But seems like a perfect fit.
Chr

• Copenhagen
  • K100 RS , K100, Royal Enfield Bullet

Offline rover215

• Curious
« Reply #134 on: August 18, 2017, 07:25:50 PM »
Just joined- Hey everyone!

Bought my first K bike a few days ago; 1986 K75C, 57k on the clock and seems in decent shape. It needs tires bad, though. Going for the Shinko 230 Tour Masters for price and good reviews. Seems lots of people go for non-stock sizing. I'm not qualified to have strong opinions either way, so I'm inclined to go with stock sizing (100/90 18 in front, 120/90 18 in rear). I'm more of a distance and windy road rider, not too aggressive in twisties.
Also thinking I should just replace wheel bearings as a matter of course- what do you think?
  • Portland, Oregon
  • 1986 K75C

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
« Reply #135 on: August 18, 2017, 08:05:02 PM »
Just joined-
Also thinking I should just replace wheel bearings as a matter of course- what do you think?
Welcome, rover. Post a few pictures of your bike over in the Welcome to Motobrick.com section. Tell us more about your bike, yourself and your genealogy over there.

It's obvious this is your first K-bike or you wouldn't have suggested replacing wheel bearings as "a matter of course." :giggles Download a Workshop manual from the repair guidance center and have a read. If the front wheel isn't jiggling on its axle or rumbling and howling as you go down the road, I suggest leaving them alone. If the wheel on the rear drive is wobbling, you'll be far beyond "a matter of course" and into the realm of magical thinking and incantation.

Visit the Repair Guidance Master List.
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.
https://tinyurl.com/RillRider

Offline rover215

• Curious
« Reply #136 on: August 18, 2017, 08:38:35 PM »
Thanks, Laitch- I have a lot of reading to do. Might be a few weeks :)
  • Portland, Oregon
  • 1986 K75C

Offline wardie

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #137 on: September 12, 2017, 05:47:53 PM »
Moto brickers here's my thoughts on tires...

You only have two why not buy the best, most universally recognized tires that hold up well and give good grip?

When was the last time you saw a Shinko on any racing bike (dirt or road racing) other than the drag strip?

I like Bridgestones and have run 023's for a while. When they go I'll mount the 30's.

I have 300K on my bikes and  used to road race and still like to corner carve. For my money I'll stick with brands I trust. The K Bikes are heavy does Shinko have a weight rating?

Offline K1300S

« Reply #138 on: September 12, 2017, 08:03:06 PM »
having just put 100 miles on a set of michelin sport activ's on a track, worn edge to edge, i have nothing but praise for them.   sticky and predictable on track.  the 700 miles i have on them on the street have been just as good.  they are worth it!

well, maybe not if you tires just wear in the center from slab or commuting miles.
Project Thread "K75s Midlife Refresh"
http://www.motobrick.com/index.php/topic,7810.0.html

Offline thecableguy

« Reply #139 on: September 12, 2017, 09:17:55 PM »
[quote author=wardie link=topic=2927.msg88800#msg88800 date=1505252873

When was the last time you saw a Shinko on any racing bike (dirt or road racing) other than the drag strip?

Saw Kyle Sliger rockin' Shinkos during a stunt show a couple of weeks ago...

As for me they fit my budget, my bike and my riding style. 

Jim
  • Madison, WI USA
  • 86 K100RT - Brünhild
...to make a long story short, use duct tape.

Offline Christopherguzzi

• My first Beemer🏍.
  • It ran when it was parked........27 years ago😳.
« Reply #140 on: September 12, 2017, 09:45:42 PM »
Moto brickers here's my thoughts on tires...You only have two why not buy the best, most universally recognized tires that hold up well and give good grip?When was the last time you saw a Shinko on any racing bike (dirt or road racing) other than the drag strip?I like Bridgestones and have run 023's for a while. When they go I'll mount the 30's.I have 300K on my bikes and  used to road race and still like to corner carve. For my money I'll stick with brands I trust. The K Bikes are heavy does Shinko have a weight rating?

To each their own when deciding what kind of rubber to run on their bikes.  For me, when replacing my 27 year old tires I went with Shinko Tour Masters.  Mainly due to the many informed positive reccomendations from people who have experience with these tires on this site, by researching the manufacturer and quality of their tire, and the reasonable price.  Not to mention the fact that I don't even come close to pushing my bike to the limits of these new modern tires which have to be many times over above and beyond the quality of the oem tires due to tire improvements over the last 30 years.
  • Little Canada, Minnesota
  • 1986 K75C
Christopherguzzi

Offline wardie

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #141 on: September 12, 2017, 11:42:12 PM »

To each their own when deciding what kind of rubber to run on their bikes. 

Perfect quote.

to the cableguy;  stunt riding isn't racing. But if you think that Stunt Riding merits your consideration for a set of tires then hey ok :)

Honestly the last time I looked at Shinko's was a couple years ago. Maybe they've improved but I like the Bridgestones, Michelins and Metzlers. Never had a tire separate, always predictable, good tread life and a warranty to help should their be something that causes me to return the tire.

Offline Martin

« Reply #142 on: September 13, 2017, 04:10:37 AM »
Shinko apparently acquired the molds and technology off Yokohama and they are they are still backed by Yokohama .

The Shinko Osaka Story

Established in 1946, the Shinko Group began as a manufacturer of bicycle tires and tubes in Osaka, Japan that today has become a burgeoning manufacture of rubber products.
In 1998 the Shinko Group purchased the motorcycle tire technology and molds from Yokohama Rubber Co., and began production of these products under the Shinko Tire brand. With manufacturing based in South Korea and design based in Japan, the company has seamlessly combined Japanese engineering and design principles with South Korean production and quality control standards. Today Shinko Tires produces approximately 200,000 motorcycle tires per month.
In the United States Shinko Tires are imported by Western Power Sports, Inc. (WPS), with corporate headquarters in Boise, Idaho. With a strong foothold on the power sports market, and with warehouses located in Boise, Idaho; Fresno, California; Ashley, Indiana; Elizabethtown, Pennsylvania; Midlothian, Texas; and Memphis, Tennessee, Shinko Tires USA-in conjunction with WPS-is proud to bring you the Shinko line of Sportbike, Cruiser, Scooter, Off road, and Dual sport tires.
On going testing in the USA and R & D at Shinko Tire's factory means a continuous path of exciting tires to meet the need of today's riders. Shinko Tires and WPS are here to serve your needs.
Regards Martin.
  • North Lakes Queensland Australia
  • 1992 K75s Hybrid, Lefaux, Vespa V twin.

Offline The Mighty Gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #143 on: September 13, 2017, 09:50:29 AM »
I always have to laugh when I hear about buying a tire based on the company's racing support.  Unlike factory teams I don't have an unlimited tire budget to buy the special tires the tire companies supply at high profile races.  Rolex watches are common at sporting events too, but I have found that my Timex Indiglo keeps time just as well and can be easily read in total darkness when I am on night watch on a boat. 

At nearly 70 years old I ride quick, but nowhere near as fast as the younger guys I sometimes ride with, and I'm too old to do track days.  The Shinko Tourmasters and 712's I have used have all the cornering traction I will ever need, right up to dragging pegs.  Mileage is excellent, I can get up to 15,000 miles on front tires and over 10,000 on rear tires.  I mount my own tires and find that the Shinkos are easy to mount and balance, usually requiring only 2 or 3 weights. 

As far as I can tell, the Shinkos are just as good as any of the other tires available, and possibly better for long distance riding, and they do it at a price that is close to half the competition.   This is important to me because I ride over a total of 13,000 miles a year on my three bikes and I like to keep my maintenance costs as reasonable as possible.
  • In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:
'91 K100RS16V "Moby Brick Too"

Past:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'92 K100RS16V "Moby Brick" (RIP, deceased in a vehicular assault)
'94 K75S Special Edition Dakar Yellow "Cheetos"
'89 K100RS Special Edition "Special Ed"

Offline wardie

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #144 on: September 13, 2017, 10:46:37 AM »
I always have to laugh when I hear about buying a tire based on the company's racing support.  Unlike factory teams I don't have an unlimited tire budget to buy the special tires the tire companies supply at high profile races.  Rolex watches are common at sporting events too, but I have found that my Timex Indiglo keeps time just as well and can be easily read in total darkness when I am on night watch on a boat. 

At nearly 70 years old I ride quick, but nowhere near as fast as the younger guys I sometimes ride with, and I'm too old to do track days.  The Shinko Tourmasters and 712's I have used have all the cornering traction I will ever need, right up to dragging pegs.  Mileage is excellent, I can get up to 15,000 miles on front tires and over 10,000 on rear tires.  I mount my own tires and find that the Shinkos are easy to mount and balance, usually requiring only 2 or 3 weights. 

As far as I can tell, the Shinkos are just as good as any of the other tires available, and possibly better for long distance riding, and they do it at a price that is close to half the competition.   This is important to me because I ride over a total of 13,000 miles a year on my three bikes and I like to keep my maintenance costs as reasonable as possible.

Racing technology inevitably trickles down to their street tires. My observations are based on what I run and why. Others do the same and decide which tire is best for them. Our BMW Club owns a tire changer and balancer.  I've found the Bridgestones frequently have less than 1/8 ounce to balance and the date codes are newer tires not something that's been sitting in a warehouse for a while. Now balancing that's an art and another subject for another time.  Hey good conversation. This is what makes this site so valuable in learning and having discussions.

Offline The Mighty Gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #145 on: September 13, 2017, 12:30:16 PM »
I will admit that I  have Bridgestones on the rear of my K100 and K75S.  On the K100RS with Paralever and wide rims I can run radials and since my competition days I have had a soft spot for Bridgestone. 

The Bridgestone on the K75S came with the bike and is almost ready for replacement.   I think I will try a Shinko 712 when I do that change to match the one on the front that I put there when I bought the bike. 
  • In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:
'91 K100RS16V "Moby Brick Too"

Past:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'92 K100RS16V "Moby Brick" (RIP, deceased in a vehicular assault)
'94 K75S Special Edition Dakar Yellow "Cheetos"
'89 K100RS Special Edition "Special Ed"

Offline wardie

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #146 on: September 16, 2017, 09:27:41 PM »

I want to acknowledge that I was wrong about Shinko's .. when I said I hadn't seen anyone racing with them and today I stand corrected.

I covered the First Annual Steel Shoe Nationals paying a $25K purse attracting National Number plates  as well as local pros. I wandered through the pits asking my usual questions and found that several racers were running Shinko. This is Flat Track Racing on a hard clay surface but regardless they were running Shinkos in a race.

Looks like Shinkos have come a long way since I last looked at them and decided they weren't for me.

Wardie

Offline snanny

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #147 on: September 16, 2017, 10:11:51 PM »
Well I mounted them up and took a ride. The old tires you had to push it into a turn. These fall in. Surprised me first. Maybe the wear over 9000+ miles and the squared up tread has a lot to do with it. Ballacsd up nice. Nothing on the front. 1/2oz on the rear. 

The Battle wing has some meat to it but it really doesn't look like a off road tire.
Grim, could you give us a report on the longevity and wear of the Battle Wing tires please?
Steve
  • Eagar, AZ
Steve
1995 K1100LT
1996 VFR
1984 635csi

Offline riots100

« Reply #148 on: October 12, 2017, 07:44:28 PM »
I'm starting to see the dreaded front tire cupping or "scalloping" along the left edge.  I remember some comments about cupping and possible related causes.  I did some searching here to see if I could find a definitive cause.  Then I ran across this web page that describe various types of tire wear and what it means.

Motorcycle Tire Wear

According to what is described there, the cupping pattern is a normal pattern of tire wear.

• Los Angeles, CA
  • 1992 K75, 2007 K1200GT, 1991 K100RS
----
BDJ

Offline bizzaro

• ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
  • co pilot
« Reply #149 on: October 12, 2017, 08:51:58 PM »
I am over 8K on a set of Michelin PR3's. Love um. Very predictable, great handling, amazing stopping power, and they last longer by far than any other tire I have ever run by a long shot. :2thumbup: :2thumbup: Rear is undersized on a K11LT. 150/70 17(wider but squatter,).  I have never gotten more than 4K out of any other tires I have run, except for almost 6k on Bridgestone Battlax T30's. I have run shinkos that I loved,( on another bike), but not great for mileage on them.....(maybe 3600 miles) So that being said, I am thinking of trying the Bridgestone Battlax T30's Evo. They gripped like a Bear. They (older T30's, not the newer Evo edition, were my  first replacement tire on my new to me K11), and I am not sure I appreciated them as much then as I may now? :dunno .........................So Johnny, how they runnin??
  • Vermont
  • Current:1994 BMW K1100LT Previous: 1982 Yamaha virago 920,1973 Honda CB550,1976 Yamaha 650 Special
See Ya in the Twisties,
 Bizz