Author Topic: Tire recommendations  (Read 168069 times)

Offline johnny

• TrailBrakingThrottleWhacker
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
  • Whacking...n...Chopping Sliding...n...High Siding
Re: Tire recommendations
« Reply #50 on: June 06, 2015, 09:49:34 AM »
different brands and different models within brands have differemt profiles... 

something to think about when chasing that last tenth of a second...

if i caints hear my tiors on the edge of sliding out i know theres more speed to behold...

j o
  • :johnny i parks my 96 eleven hundert rs motobrick in dodge county cheezconsin  :johnny

Offline Mongrel

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
« Reply #51 on: June 09, 2015, 03:20:49 PM »
Crossposting, since this is the actual tire thread (the other is for radials only).

It seems a fruitless hope, but has anyone compiled a list of all the tires which can currently be put on the 75's snowflake rims?

I was hoping to try the new version of Metzeler's Marathons (the newest version is the 888), but it seems that the Metzeler site states that the only tires they have that'll fit are their Lasertecs, which are quite sticky, but I've heard people complain that they wear very quickly (as low as 3000kms according to the worst-case reviews).

So far, here's what the list appears to be:

Metzeler
Lasertec

Bridgestone
BT45 (Rear is - BT45V)

Dunlop
D404

Shinko
230 Tour Master (these, uh... well, they look kind of cheap. And they are cheap.)

Pirelli's site lists no current tires as a match.

Trying to see how these tires stack up - they're all pretty close in price. Still wondering if anyone here has tried both the T30s and BTs... ?

One thing I don't know is what "wrong" size tires can be fit without issues. In the radials thread, Keith suggested some Avons. I looked at other Metzelers, but neither the 888's nor the Tourances are offered for 18" rims at any size. 

I guess 18" rims became unpopular at some point? Oddly there's still plenty of options for 16", 17", and 19" rims.
'86 K75c
'79 Motobecane Mobylette (mothballed)

Offline bocutter Ed

• ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
« Reply #52 on: June 09, 2015, 03:56:30 PM »
Flying Squirrel still lists the Sport Demons (Pirelli).
  • Toronto, Canada
  • '61 Puch DS60 - '66 Puch 250 SGS - '87 BMW K75s

Offline Mongrel

« Reply #53 on: June 10, 2015, 01:36:18 PM »
The Avon AM26s also come in the exact right sizes.

I know the different manufacturers are going to be MOSTLY window dressing, but not entirely, so I really don't know which ones to go with.
'86 K75c

Offline beemrdon

« Reply #54 on: June 10, 2015, 04:08:49 PM »
New tires almost ALWAYS feel better than the old tires that they replaced...IMO
  • The South West... best motorcycling in the US! Longest riding season = 12 months per year
  • 1996 K1100 LT SE, Aspen Silver - Now with 159,xxx miles.

Offline beemrdon

« Reply #55 on: June 10, 2015, 05:07:40 PM »
I am using Michelin PR2 radials on my K1100LT. I use 110/80/18 front and 150/70/17 rear-(oversized width/undersized height on rear because they don't make my exact size).. The rear tire has about 9K on it and looks like it has another 2K to go. I will replace these radials with the PR4's when necessary.
They handle pretty well....as well as can be expected on an LT anyway and I trust Michelin on my road bike (bicycle) car and motobrick to make some of the best tyres. Downside is they are more expensive than many of the other options.

Shinko's...The shinko 712 model are on my R90/6 and they handle horribly and are not the exact size the bike takes (exact size = f-3.25/ r-4.00). Can't wait to get them off...I may not wait till they are worn down. I used the metzler me33 on the front and the marathon 88's on the rear for many, many years but they don't make the 88's anymore. I also tried the pirrelli RT66's one time and they were slippery. The metzlers were really good on my R90 but it's time to move on so I may try the Michelin Activ's next.

I wouldn't worry about trying radials on an old brick if you can find them to fit.. Miy PR2's work great.
  • The South West... best motorcycling in the US! Longest riding season = 12 months per year

Offline Mongrel

« Reply #56 on: June 12, 2015, 12:17:59 AM »
Still not 100% sure on the tires, but I'm almost certain it's going to be BT45s. Saw a couple of direct comparisons between them and the Lasertecs from rather hard-riding folks  and the consensus was they were both equally sticky, with good handling in wet and cold, but the BT45's just last longer.
'86 K75c

Offline koapono

« Reply #57 on: June 12, 2015, 08:10:29 AM »
+1 on the MIchelin PR series, currently running PR 3's on my LT will replace with 4's when it's time.
these tires are firmly planted and track like an arrow (for me anyway, semi-aggressive rider).
running the 150 70 17 on rear has not created any issues with regard to form, fit and function.
  • prince george, VA (25 miles south of richmond)
  • 1994 K1100LT

Offline snanny

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #58 on: June 12, 2015, 04:33:58 PM »
Hey all,
I just wanted to tell everybody about my experience installing new radial tires on the K1100LT. I was coming off of the bias-ply 's that were on the bike when I purchased it and the rear was getting quite squared off. After reading through all the info on this thread I went ahead and bought tires online from Dennis Kirk. I ordered the Avon AV46-ST- Azaro for the rear in the stock size and ordered the Avon Storm St-AV55 stock size for the front. These things handle GREAT! Maybe it's just because my old ones were in bad shape, but these radials turn in much easier and feel much more planted.  Thanks everybody for the advice.
  • Eagar, AZ
Steve
1995 K1100LT
1996 VFR
1984 635csi

Offline jetpoweredmonkey

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #59 on: June 22, 2015, 08:56:33 PM »
I haven't seen many comments in this thread for the old 2V bikes.  Bias ply tires are getting somewhat scarce, and I don't see any radials in the correct or even close to correct sizes.

On my 1987 2V K100RS, I am running Michelin Pilot Activs in the factory sizes.  Normally I don't get hung up on brand names, but I have to say that I sure like Michelins, they always seem to have a wonderful "soft" and compliant feel about them.  The Pilot Activ looks like it was made for the bike and though they are still bias ply tires, handling is much improved over the Dunlop Spitfires that were on the bike when I bought it.  I like the Michelins well enough that I put a set on my /5, too. 

Looks like I will be getting about 6000 miles out of this set of Pilot Activs.  I ride at a medium fast pace, not "racetrack" fast, but I don't slow down much for corners, and I use all of the tire.  Both tires have worn quite evenly and for once, it looks like I will be wearing out the front before of the rear.  The tires have stayed pretty consistent and solid, with little or no cupping of the front tire.  In the last few hundred miles, the front has started to feel hard and just a bit greasy in the turns, though it isn't down to the wear bars yet.  Time to swap it out.  I'll get a few hundred more out of the rear.

Offline Freelancer

« Reply #60 on: June 22, 2015, 09:04:45 PM »
Hi jetpoweredmonkey,

I just posted the info below in the "workshops" radials thread and was going to post it here also. So a nice coincidence. Also, the bike these went on was an 86 k100rt and the tires fit according to their fitment charts.

Quote from: Freelancer
Hey guys and gals,

My friend, Dave, just got back to me on the tires we fitted on his k100rt. I say we because the radials he had are no longer in production and asked me to help find something that might suit him.

We put a Metzeler z6 110/80 18 on the front and a Bridgestone Battle Wing 140/80 r17 on the rear. The Battle Wing is an adventure tire that is 90% road. We went this route because the tread and profiles seemed to compliment each other.

At first the Metzeler felt floaty until I informed him that the Metz Z6's are like the Pirelli Angels in that they like to be near max pressure (41psi).
Once Fave got them at the right pressure, he says they started handling great. Also says that the bike behaves much better on the dirt and gravel roads he travels when visiting friends.

So, as of now, this combo is getting two big thumbs up. :2thumbup:

Will keep you guys posted on the long term results. Dave likes to ride fast through the curves and likes to ride far. This means he will likely use them up by winter.

Check the combination out. They look good and handle great according to Dave.

Any questions about these, feel free to ask.

Later,
Freelancer
1991 K100RS
Agree Agree x 1 View List

Offline koapono

« Reply #61 on: June 26, 2015, 08:10:36 PM »
using 150 x 70 17 on rear of my 94 LT, the pic is worn out Michelin PR2 with 11,000 miles on it. half of that is 2-up touring the remainder is solo riding with mix of slab and yeehaw!
new tire is PR3, hope it performs as well and lasts as long.
  • prince george, VA (25 miles south of richmond)
  • 1994 K1100LT

Offline victor

• Curious
« Reply #62 on: March 23, 2016, 05:54:11 PM »
I hope this isn't grave digging and you don't mind me bringing this thread again.

Could you please refer to today's MCN review?

I'm swapping my wheels on k100 to k1100 and soon I'll have to buy a set..

Thanks!

• Highlands
  • Superduke 990 / K100 '85

Offline johnny

« Reply #63 on: March 23, 2016, 06:10:55 PM »
greetings victor...

welcome to motobrick.com...

whaaaaaaaaaaaaat...

j o
  • :johnny i parks my 96 eleven hundert rs motobrick in dodge county cheezconsin  :johnny

Offline victor

• Curious
« Reply #64 on: March 23, 2016, 06:21:07 PM »
Thanks Johnny, I've been following the forum for a while, just a bit shy to post anything.

I was curious if the tire recommendations have changed over the last year. At all.
Personally I know very little on the subject and I thought more experienced members could refer to that mcn review.

Is Metzeler Roadtec 01 worth considering over PR3 for example? The prices are not that different.

(just to clarify, this is my second-ever motorcycle, and this isn't my native language)
  • Highlands

Offline johnny

« Reply #65 on: March 23, 2016, 06:49:46 PM »
so... you wants tior recommendations for a 85 k100...  1st thing is tell us whats on there now so we know if you gotts oem wheels...

and this k1100 you speak of... the one you want new tiors for... gotta know is it a rs or lt... and needs to know whats on those wheels now...

then... you looking for the long go or the maximum yeeehaaaaa...

j o

Offline victor

• Curious
« Reply #66 on: March 23, 2016, 07:29:22 PM »
Aye aye, captain!

What I was trying to say, I have '84 K100RS for which I've bought complete front end as well as rear wheel. Those parts are from K1100LT. I wanted to have better feel the road and better braking system. I didn't feel very comfortable with what OEM K100 was offering.

I'm planning to do the front end / 3 spoke wheels swap over the weekend, but the wheels have no tires on them.
  • Highlands

Offline johnny

« Reply #67 on: March 23, 2016, 08:12:32 PM »
still gotta measure the wheels or look them up by their part number... just because somebody tells you they are k1100lt wheels does not mean they are k1100lt wheels...

folks have bought tiors for their k1100lt to find out from the tior tech that somebody before them installed wheels off something else...

j o

Offline victor

• Curious
« Reply #68 on: March 26, 2016, 03:42:29 PM »
Mr J o !

As advised, I'm back with more information.

At the moment we got K100 with K1100LT front(2.50 x 18 - 110/80/18 Metzeler Lastertec in a decent condition) and K1100LT rear(3.00x17, no tyre)

• Highlands

Offline Martin

« Reply #69 on: March 26, 2016, 06:55:20 PM »
Bridgestone BT45's grip well, nice ride the only gremlin is the wear rate. I only got 10,000 K's of normal riding. I am now trying a Michelin Pilot Road Active, so far a little bit grippier but too early to tell about wear.  if I'd known about Shinko's earlier I probably would have tried them, on the good reports I've read.
Regards Martin.
  • North Lakes Queensland Australia
  • 1992 K75s Hybrid, Lefaux, Vespa V twin.

Offline Mongrel

« Reply #70 on: March 29, 2016, 03:11:30 PM »
Just dropping this as a note for myself here while fishing for tire quotes (this is for an '86 75c, w/snowflake rims).

Metzeler Lasertec
(F) 100/90 - 18 M/C 56H TL
(R) 120/90 - 18 M/C 65H TL

Metzeler Sportec Klassik
(F) 100/90 V 18 M/C (56V) TL
(R) 120/90 - 18 M/C 65V TL

Bridgestone Battlax BT-45
(F) 100/90-18 M/C 56H TL
(R) 120/90-18 M/C 65V TL

(Bridgestone does not seem to make the 100/90 front in V rating, nor the 120/90 in H rating, hence the mix in speed ratings).

Has anyone tried the new Sportec Klassiks? Apparently they are new as of last year from Metzeler and  their own site rates them as being vastly better in all regards than the Lasertecs, which sounds super-interesting, but I can't find any independent reviews at all, much less any that specifically compare them to Lasertecs or BT-45s (most reviews of the two older tires I've seen say that BT-45s and Lasertecs are very comparable, with sometimes the Metzeler being rated a little better on average).

EDIT: Also it seems some of the distributors the shops in Toronto deal with don't seem to like the BT-45 100/90-18. Called some of the big name shops locally just to get a starting baseline and while they list the rear, they can't get the front.
'86 K75c

Offline herseyb

« Reply #71 on: April 29, 2016, 12:13:39 PM »
Lookin'  at another BT-45 rear myself...  mostly cause I got no experience to try anything else!

I did 6,000 miles (approx 9,700 KM) with one last year,  about 3,000 miles 1 Up with camping gear, 1,000 miles 2 up with camping gear, and 2,000 1 up unloaded.

I think it was the couple thousand miles straight up and down the slab in illinoize that ate the center out of it... this year more driftless!
  • Brooklyn
  • '93 K1100RS

Offline beemrdon

« Reply #72 on: April 29, 2016, 08:29:55 PM »
Just replaced a Michelin PR2 with a new PR3 in the front. The rear got a PR4 a few months ago. :2thumbup:
I got 10,000 miles but could have ridden it another 1,000.

Offline F14CRAZY

« Reply #73 on: April 29, 2016, 09:25:22 PM »
How are you guys getting so many miles out of tires? Dual compound radials? Slower speeds? With 80 mph cruising speeds I can't really get more than 6k miles out of what I've had so far
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • '87 K75C
'87 K75C w/ Pichler V1 fairing. LED's, CATZ driving lights, Audiovox cruise, LT top case, tons of other mods by Drake...

Offline TimTyler

• Adrninistrator
« Reply #74 on: April 29, 2016, 11:28:50 PM »
How are you guys getting so many miles out of tires?

Maybe you just need to ride them a little bit longer?  :dunno

Here's my last Shinko 712 rear with 11k (mostly highway) miles. (It's since been replaced)