Author Topic: Tire recommendations  (Read 168036 times)

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
Tire recommendations
« on: August 06, 2012, 11:08:46 PM »
K1100RS/K100RS4V/K1: Many motobrickers, including me, are big fans of Michein Pilot Road 2 tires. (Or the siped Pilot Road 3 for lots of wet riding.  I've heard that the PR3s aren't quite as good as the PR2s but if you plan on lots of wet commuting it's a wise choice.)

A tire that has come out fairly recently and is rated higher than the PRs in many reviews is the Bridgestone BT-023.  They are also also less expensive than PR2s.

As of this posting I have put about 1,000 miles on a BT-023 front on my K75 (K1100LT front wheel) and it still looks like new.  The handling is easily as good as the handling on my K1100RS and K1100LT with PR2s.  If the BT-023 continues to hold up well then I may put BT-023s on my RS at my next tire change.

K1100LT: Though K1100LTs came from the factory with bias ply tires, I strongly recommend switching over to radials at your next tire change.  The improvement in handling is quite noticeably much better.

Front: Either a Michelin Pilot Road 2 (or PR3 for wet riding) or Bridgestone BT-023.  See my comments above about the BT-023.

Rear with stock rim: The only radial tire I know of  in a 140/70-17 with a good reputation is the Avon Azaro 46.  Many LT motobrickers use this tire and are very happy with it's performance. (I have one of these on the rear of my K75 and it does quite well.)

UPDATE March 6, 2013: The 3x17 3 spoke rear used on the K1100LT and the 2V Ks you can also run a 150/70-17 (as noted by Sonu later in this thread) which means the you could run matched PR2s, PR3s or BT023s on the 3 spoke rims.

Rear with K1100RS rear rim: If you want to run matched PR2s or matched BT-023s then you can use a K1100RS rear wheel and it will bolt right up to an LT. (The difference in diameter/circumference between an LT tire and an RS tire is that the RS tire is about 1% smaller. You  probably won't even notice.)

K75s and 2V K100s: After reading a bunch of reviews, I put a pair if Bridgestone S11 Spitfire tires on a K75 that I brought back to life.  I put about 1,000 miles (including lots of fast twisties) on them before I sold it and found them to perform quite well.  They are also relatively inexpensive.

If you like to ride hard then I recommend trying some "off-size" radials. I run a 110/80-18 BT-023 on the 2.5x18 front wheel of my K75.  I run a 140/80-17 Avon Azaro on a 3.0x17 rear wheel.  The handling is excellent, MUCH better than a K75 on bias ply tires.

If anyone else wants to share their opinions on tires then feel free to add to this thread.
Once I had a Collie pup. Dug a hole and covered him up. Now I sit there by the hour. Waiting for a Collie-flower.
New to K bikes? Click here.
K Bike Maintenance & Mods: Click here.
Buy parts here.

Offline argent brick

• ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
Re: Tire recommendations
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2012, 01:54:39 AM »
I am running Bridgestones but would like feedback about Continental tires. Ran those on my boxer and was very happy with them. Anyone ever use them?
Lynn

Current:
1995 K75/3A Standard

Past:
1978 Yamaha xs750(P.O.S.)
1976 R60/6 RIP

Offline doctorchad

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2012, 03:15:04 PM »
I'm just over 2500 miles on a set of Conti Go's.  I can't speak to durability yet, but they seem very sticky, and have been excellent the few times I ridden in the rain.  My riding consists of a 45 mile door to door commute from the north suburbs into Chicago; I love it, but it is comparatively sedate when measured against what other riders are doing.  They seem great for what I'm doing, though.

Offline wmax351

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2012, 11:50:59 PM »
I had a BT45 on the rear of my k75. The rear lasted like 2000-3000 miles (although a lot were at high speeds (85), high loads (lots of stuff on the back), and coarse pavement roads. Handled great for those miles. Replaced it with a Bridgestone S-11. Nice ride, not as sticky as the BT-45s, though.

BT-45 is great on the front. something like 8k, and it is holding strong.

ME-88 / 880's sucked. Cracked, not very sticky.
  • Albuquerque, NM
  • 91 BMW K75 Standard, 98 Moto Guzzi California EV
Bikes:
Current:1991 BMW K75 Standard, 1998 Moto Guzzi California EV11
Past: '83 BMW R65LS, '75 Honda CB550F, '69 Honda CB175, 1999 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, 1973 Triumph Tiger TR7V, 1971 BMW R75/5 in Toaster outfit, 1979 Harley Davidson XLS-1000 Sportster Roadster

Offline orforester

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2012, 12:42:42 PM »
I have 4900 miles on my BT-045's, the back is about done and the front cupped, so I have a set of Lazertecs in the shop ready and waiting, but I think the steering bearings were bad, so pre-loaded the front tire.  Also bumped up air to 40 pounds helped a bunch.  If I could get them cheap, I would buy them again, probably will.  They lasted quite a while.  I ride twisty roads a lot and usually at moderate to fast speeds, not much or should I say no freeway miles.  Just nice twisty roads! 
Bob
1989 K 100 RS se (SOLD)
1985 K 100 RS, now RT
1979 XS 650 Yamaha Street Tracker
2008 R 1200RT

Offline chrish8846

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2012, 04:53:50 AM »
I just installed a set of Michelin Pilot Actives on my K75 and a looking forward to see how they work. A really good looking tire.
92 K75S
Numerous former M/C's,Moto Guzzi's,Norton's,Harley's,Ducati's,
Kawasaki Mean Streak
Agree Agree x 1 View List

Offline KJeff

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2012, 08:31:49 PM »
sorry to be such a nube - but if the shoe fits .....

I'm looking for my first replacements on my new to me K1100LT. I noticed the recommendations mention 140/70 and 140/80 in places which is correct or does it matter ? The original spec (bias ply ?) is 80.

Is the same true for the front 110 ?

Choices are few for the 80.

Thanks

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2012, 07:39:26 AM »
Switch your LT to radials. It will handle MUCH better.  110/80-18 front BT-023 or PR2 front. 140/80-17 Avon Azaro 46 rear.
Once I had a Collie pup. Dug a hole and covered him up. Now I sit there by the hour. Waiting for a Collie-flower.
Buy parts here.

Offline KJeff

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2012, 05:50:47 PM »
Thanks Frankenduck (love your site)

I ordered the BT-023 and Azaro today.

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2012, 11:03:29 PM »
Thanks Frankenduck (love your site)

I ordered the BT-023 and Azaro today.

You'll be happy you did. :mbird
Buy parts here.

Offline Sonu

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2012, 04:16:01 PM »
K1100LT:
Rear with stock rim: The only radial tire I know of  in a 140/70-17 with a good reputation is the Avon Azaro 46. 

frankenduck,
I have been running PR3's on the K1100LT stock rims for the past year with great results
110/80ZR-18 for the front
150/70ZR-17 for the rear
Sanjiv
1997 K1100LT "Ziggy"  Now in 12th year with me.

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2012, 05:29:57 PM »

frankenduck,
I have been running PR3's on the K1100LT stock rims for the past year with great results
150/70ZR-17 for the rear
Sanjiv

Thanks, that's good info. I figured an "off-size" tire would probably work. (I went for the RS rear because I wanted a fatter rear tire for cosmetic reasons.) It's good to know that you can run PRs front and rear on LT stock rims. :2thumbup:
Buy parts here.

Offline Freelancer

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2012, 04:36:57 AM »
I've been running the Pirelli Angels on my '91 K100RS and love them. They handle great, wear well and
can really handle having a load on them.

Not only can they handle a load, the sidewall integrity recently impressed the heck outta me.

This may not be the proper forum for this story but I'm new so please correct me if I'm in error.

The place, a Texas farm to market road near Houston
The time, 21:30 (9:30p.m.)
The incident, A load of Hardwood furniture not properly secured has been dumped in the middle
of the road.
Other  factors, The driver had turned around, pulled back past his mess and parked in someones drive with his headlights pointing directly into incoming traffic(Looked like someone getting home late and checking the mail box)
Needless to say, I was effectively blinded.
The speed limit on this 2-lane road, 70mph( I'd eased off the throttle but was still doing near the speed limit).

What happened:
As soon as I passed his headlights I was into the debris. Was truly fortunate to not have augered in. Hit a chunk of wood from either the large chair in the middle of the road or the solid log bench that was pn the side of the road.
The result of the impact, a 1 inch puncture and instantly flat front tire.
The sidewalls provided enough rigidity that I was able to avoid the reast of the debris and l was able limp the 3&1/2 miles home after pulling over and checking(it was late and truck was in shop).

Got the girl home and the bead never broke...no damage to the rim.

Btw, my wife was riding on the pillon and I wiegh over 280 lbs.

Because of this incident, how they handle, their tread life and cost I am completely sold on the Pirellis.

Later,
Freelancer
1991 K100RS

Offline electric_monk

• Curious
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2012, 03:50:49 PM »
+1 for the Pirelli angels, I have never experienced such a dramatic change in bike behaviour as when I put these on.

Offline Scott_

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2012, 08:17:36 AM »
K1100LT:
Rear with stock rim: The only radial tire I know of  in a 140/70-17 with a good reputation is the Avon Azaro 46. 

frankenduck,
150/70ZR-17 for the rear
Sanjiv

I tried that same combo a couple of years ago in the PR2's.
The ride was good, but I personally had trouble getting the bike up on the center stand. It progressively got worse as the rear tire wore.
The only other issue for me was getting the 150/70 mounted and seated on the 17" stock LT rim.
Last year I went back to the 140/80 Avon for the rear.
  • My Garage
1995 K1100LT 0302044
1997 R1100RT ZC62149
2017 FLHTK Ultra Limited
1997 K1100LT 0302488 (R.I.P.)
"One who does not ask questions is ashamed to learn" Danish proverb

Offline Ken

• Curious
  • Year round rider
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2012, 08:15:39 PM »
I used to run the Dunlop Elite and I loved them.  Consistent 10,000 miles with lots of 2 up riding.  then they quit making the rear in our size.

Went to the Metzler, and then Michelin radials.  I didn't really like the handling, then discovered they weren't the proper size. 

This time I went back to the Dunlop Roadsmart II on the rear, has 3/4 worn...starting to cup Michelin front.  It is strange going straight will occasionally have a for lack of a better word...squirm.  It also will happen in a corner...but not as regularly....want it to go away....hit the throttle.  Under pull....it seems to grip fantastic. 

This roadsmart II has a different rubber compound in the middle.  I will see how it holds up I guess.
1994 K11LT  50,000 miles
1997 K11LT  124,000 miles parts, and for sale in parts.  Still runs, clutch and helix sensor? out.  Good body parts, clear coat peeling.

Offline oldfart

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2012, 06:26:41 PM »
Frankenduck wrote:
K1100LT: Though K1100LTs came from the factory with bias ply tires, I strongly recommend switching over to radials at your next tire change.  The improvement in handling is quite noticeably much better.

Front: Either a Michelin Pilot Road 2 (or PR3 for wet riding) or Bridgestone BT-023.  See my comments above about the BT-023.

Rear with stock rim: The only radial tire I know of  in a 140/70-17 with a good reputation is the Avon Azaro 46.  Many LT motobrickers use this tire and are very happy with it's performance. (I have one of these on the rear of my K75 and it does quite well.)

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I took Duck's advice and bought the bt-023 front and Avon Azaro rear tires for my K1100LT.  The Avon has a rotation arrow on the sidewall so I have a 50-50 chance of installing it correctly.  However, the BT-023 does not have any arrows or indication of a directional tread.  Does this mean that I can install it either way, or am I missing something here?

I am painting the wheels to freshen them up so I only want to have one go at scratching them up while mounting the new rubber.  I do not want to reverse a bad mount if I can avoid it.

How say ye?

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2012, 06:33:57 PM »
... am I missing something here?

Yes, you're missing the arrow on the tire.  My pic  is a little blurry but look on the tire where it says "FRONT USE ONLY."
Buy parts here.

Offline oldfart

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2012, 01:03:38 AM »
FD,

Thanks for the prompt reply and the pic.  Yes, I did see the stylized arrows and the Front Use Only label.  I guess the Japs are a bit more subtle in their sidewall nomenclature than say Metzeler or Avon.   :laugh

Offline Michael in AZ

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2013, 09:52:08 PM »
NooB requesting help. I have a '92 K75RT and will need to replace the tires soon (factory specs for tires is 100/90 18 and 130/90 17). This is my first bike and my riding habits are mostly commuting about 30 miles RT 5 days a week and light touring (day trips of about 300-500 miles 4 times per month). I don't ride the twisties hard, but I do frequently (I live in northern Arizona). So I would like any feedback on what might be the best tires for my bike and situation. Any feedback at all is appreciated!
n00bs: "We all do that."
-------
92 K75 RT (w/ classic Tracy fairing)

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2013, 11:27:56 PM »
NooB requesting help. I have a '92 K75RT and will need to replace the tires soon (factory specs for tires is 100/90 18 and 130/90 17). This is my first bike and my riding habits are mostly commuting about 30 miles RT 5 days a week and light touring (day trips of about 300-500 miles 4 times per month). I don't ride the twisties hard, but I do frequently (I live in northern Arizona). So I would like any feedback on what might be the best tires for my bike and situation. Any feedback at all is appreciated!

Brdigestone Spitfires.
Buy parts here.

Offline Michael in AZ

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2013, 09:04:37 AM »
Thanks, Frankenduck. Incredible site you have here!
n00bs: "We all do that."
-------
92 K75 RT (w/ classic Tracy fairing)

Offline eyeofcy

• Motobrick Curious
  • Hit me up for a ride or some benchracing!
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2013, 04:40:57 PM »
I took a shot last spring on Shinko tires for my 100RS.  Motorcycle superstore shipped em to my door in 2 days for $136.  Thats for a pair (fr & rear) tires!  I've put about 4k on them and they are phenomenal.  I'm not draggin knees thru the canyons but do ride them fairly aggressivly plus the fact that I weigh 350#.  Were solid in the rain thru the mountains of WV, seem plenty sticky with no surprises for the spirited riding that I do and they seem to be wearing well.  I'm very happy with my purchase. 

Did I mention they were only $136 shipped for the pair?

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy"

Offline branandfox

• Loraine. K1050RS
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2013, 07:34:32 PM »
Currently running a Pirelli sport demon on the front and about to change the rear to pirelli sport demon as well. so far excellent handling on the pirellis in wet and dry conditions!
Hit the throttle and live.
Don't blink.
Don't slow.
Just breathe.

Offline fadingfastsd

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2013, 03:54:44 AM »
I've just been checking out this thread. After finishing a 300 mile weekend trip, as of today I was officially pushing my dumb luck with the old Metzeler Lasterc on my K100. Here's a pic for proof:

Anyways, this thing is my commuter and sees a ton of miles. I've been thinking about modifying it for more of an adventure type bike. I'd like to try a cheap set of dual-sport tires and see how it works.
I've been recommended the Shinko's. Motorcycle Superstore has them very cheap. Any comments on the Shinko 700 or 705 for the rear? I'd like a matching front, but they don't stock them in a compatible size. All I see that will fit the front is the Shinko 244. 3.50x18 is the closest to the stock size they have. 

Any thoughts or comments on going this route? I figure it'd be worth a shot, I'm doing quite a bit of riding in Mexico and adventure into some strange places, and would like a tire with a little bit of grip on dirt roads. The bike still see's 90% freeway, but even these should do ok on the slab I'm sure.  Thoughts?
1985 BMW K100
www.racetechelectric.com
High output motorcycle stators, voltage regulators & electronics.