Author Topic: Motoport Jacket and Pants Splurge  (Read 26921 times)

Offline argent brick

• ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
Re: Kevlar v Cordura?
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2012, 05:00:11 PM »
The ugliest rating pushed me over the edge.  :-)

Yeah, they are function over fashion. You should not have any problem with drivers seeing you in that HI-Viz outfit:)
Lynn

Current:
1995 K75/3A Standard

Past:
1978 Yamaha xs750(P.O.S.)
1976 R60/6 RIP

Offline Tom05301

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2012, 06:52:11 AM »
You should not have any problem with drivers seeing you in that HI-Viz outfit:)

I wear Hi-Viz almost every day, spending about 1 hour bicycling on the road, a relatively squish sack of meat among mindless (machine, and more often these days, driver) multi-ton metal contraptions.  Two things are very clear. First, many times they really don't see you. It is a perceptual thing, a survival trait. We notice what threatens us, and atavistically, horizontal things are more threatening than vertical things. A bigger thing is more threatening than a smaller thing. So, many times, when "they" say they didn't "see" you, they are actually telling the truth. You were visible, but they didn't see you.  Second, they don't care. I can't tell how many times I have looked drivers right in the eye, and "known" (you know, you just know when you've made contact) they saw me, and they risk my life anyway.

Which leads me to the campaign I haven't started. Arming cyclists.   8<) But that's for another forum.

For now, I still buy HiViz. As I occassionally say, I'd rather know they were aiming for me.
1990 K75

Offline wmax351

• ^ Quintessential Motobricker
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2012, 04:56:33 PM »
I went with leather, with CE armor and a back protector. 2 piece suit: Tourmaster overpants and jacket. Both are solid, heavy duty leather, good venting on the jacket, and a rear zipper to combine the two.
  • Albuquerque, NM
  • 91 BMW K75 Standard, 98 Moto Guzzi California EV
Bikes:
Current:1991 BMW K75 Standard, 1998 Moto Guzzi California EV11
Past: '83 BMW R65LS, '75 Honda CB550F, '69 Honda CB175, 1999 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, 1973 Triumph Tiger TR7V, 1971 BMW R75/5 in Toaster outfit, 1979 Harley Davidson XLS-1000 Sportster Roadster

Offline Tom05301

• Motobrick Curious
Re: Kevlar v Cordura? - MOTOPORT arrived
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2012, 05:46:32 PM »
Wuhoo!!! My HiViz Ultra II kevlar jacket and pants arrived today, about 10 days after ordered. Put in on and noticed an immediate difference from my last set-up (Joe Rocket, half a dozen years ago). It felt ok. I could move. It fit. Walked around a bit and decided what the heck, I wasn't going to get any more work done, so I dashed out without inserting the waterproof lining. So it started raining, which it has looked like it would all day & I got a little wet. With less than 200 miles under my belt since I started riding again, I headed home. A short ride is better than none, but so far, here's what I noticed:

- The stretch kevlar is amazing. It really stretches, moves with me, and accommodates those little bulges I've added over time. Feels pretty soft. Hard to imagine it is 4X tougher than leather. Hope I never find out.
- I could feel the wind throught the pants with only jeans under. It is about 46 gegrees, and I wouldn't want to go far dressed as I was in this weather, even absent the rain. They might actually be cool enough in the summer to wear regularly.
-The kevlar offers a little less friction than jeans on a stock saddle. I suspect with time it will be less slippery, and I'll get used to it. It's not like I've got a strong base of recent habit or familiarity to over come.
- The armor, advertised to take 30 minutes to adapt to the rider, seemed fine right out of the box.

Options -
2-part waterproof jacket liner
Water proof pant liner (should have taken the time to put both in. I might still be out there, even with dark descending, and the rain).
Sacrum tri-armor - Wayne said it wouldn't be annoying, and he's right.
Hip pads - Not Tri-Armor, but not obtrusive either. Didn't notice them on the bike.

I don't know enough to know what pockets I want, or how much extra reflective tape I wanted.
Wayne spent some time explaining the benefits of the Quad-Armor, but I balked at the extra cost & weight.  It's my understanding that the Quad-Armor upcharge is the same (except for shipping) whether its installed on construction or later. It is a layer of orange mesh about a quarter inch thick sewn to the Tri-Armor, (three layers of white foam about 7/16ths thick). I asked and someone threw a sample in the box.

I still haven't tried to put the liners in, or put it on with the liners. Letting the pants and jacket dry a bit. All told, and I'm generally full of buyer's regret, I am happy with my purchase. Maybe it's my new serenity since I got the K-bike.  May I never need it or test its protective capability. But, since it is comfy, it's more likely I'll have it on if I need it. Although, I feel pretty cool in my Goodwill leather jacket. Maybe just for around town. Ah, the inconsistency of it all.

What I did to order: I measured everything, twice, with the help of my spouse, following the directions on the website. I provided some of the measurements that were for the woman's jacket, estimated the distance between my belly button waist and where my pants end up,  took pictures of the tape I put on my jeans for the knee pads, took pictures of me on the bike, and sent the whole mess to Motoport by e-mail. Wayne looked at my thigh measurement and asked if I rode a bicycle (pretty much every day is the answer). We discussed the differing inseam lengths depending on where the pants ride, and split the difference. For that kind of money, I'm willing to spend the time to get it right, both mine and theirs.

More when I've ridden more.

1990 K75

Offline K75RT Keith

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2012, 08:31:04 PM »
I got the Kevlar GP1 jacket and pants.  Best pieces of gear I own.  Wayne at Motoport does it right
You can't help someone who doesn't want to hear the answer.

1990 K75RT

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2012, 10:35:50 PM »
Wayne also offers to send you swatches so you can see what the materials feel like and look like color-wise.  I had him send me some swatches before I ordered.

The non-mesh Kevlar stuff is pretty f'n strong.  I took one of the swatches, cut it with some scissors and then tried to tear it apart with pliers.  It simply WOULD NOT tear.  It's crazy strong stuff.  :yow

I bought the Kevlar jeans.  They are a little hot in warmer weather but, due to the padding/armor, do tend to mitigate the some of the K bike thigh burn.

On my first call to Wayne to talk to him before ordering the pants I found him to be a little off-putting in the customer service arena but when I rode down and met him in person to get a few tweaks done to my pants he seemed much more amenable and friendly. And what he charged me for the tweaks he made was quite reasonable IMO. ($40)

Just my .02.
Once I had a Collie pup. Dug a hole and covered him up. Now I sit there by the hour. Waiting for a Collie-flower.
New to K bikes? Click here.
K Bike Maintenance & Mods: Click here.
Buy parts here.

Offline Tom05301

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2012, 04:48:29 PM »
So, what d'all think... over the top or not?

Shot with my wife's new smartphone, obviously CCD and processing software didn't quite know what to do with the suit in full sun.

1990 K75

Offline argent brick

• ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2012, 06:10:49 PM »
So, what d'all think... over the top or not?

Shot with my wife's new smartphone, obviously CCD and processing software didn't quite know what to do with the suit in full sun.

My eyes! My virgin eyes!

I can see it now: "Honest officer, his suit hurt my eyes so much that I had to look away, and that is the reason I smashed into your patrol car."
Lynn

Current:
1995 K75/3A Standard

Past:
1978 Yamaha xs750(P.O.S.)
1976 R60/6 RIP

Offline tsbt

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
Re: Motoport Jacket and Pants Splurge
« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2012, 01:50:26 PM »
Holy crap that is bright! Smart man, Tom. Looks tough as nails too.
92 K100RS 4V
75 KE125

Offline Chaos

• Administrator
  • Mars needs women!
Re: Motoport Jacket and Pants Splurge
« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2017, 08:44:06 PM »
watch out, that suit may attract alien attention, and we all know what they like to do to you  :eek:
  • sw ohio
1987 K75S    VIN 0231
Original owner, Original litter
200,000 miles (plus or minus) and 5 paint jobs
sold 6/23
2023 Ural 2WD sidecar (BMW's bastard step child)

Tags: