Author Topic: 4 valve TPS question  (Read 5582 times)

Offline Skeezer

• Motobrick Curious
  • Flyin- Dutchman
4 valve TPS question
« on: April 24, 2012, 06:55:47 PM »
 :confused:How do you tell if the TPS sensor is not working properly. I have done the Throttle closed @ .375V.
But I still get popping through the intake at Idle. I check the Voltage after repeated snap to close and get a different reading almost every time.
The motor run's smooth with the TPS unplugged, but plugged in it Pops and Rattles.
Also I removed the intake hose's that go to the air box so I could confirm the throttle postion , and it run's fine until I plug them back on seal them.  Air filter is Clean , Air box not restricted.

I'm about ready to fall on my Sword. :dunno
1993 K1100LT
My lifes more than half over, quit wastin my time!

Offline Skeezer

• Motobrick Curious
  • Flyin- Dutchman
Re: 4 valve TPS question
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2012, 08:51:29 AM »
Update. The reason I was getting an inconsistant voltage reading( the throttle stop was backed off) now that it is correct and I re-ajusted the TPS I get a consitant .375v almost everytime. Motor still run,s like crap once I connect the air box tubes .
I checked for Vacume leaks and it looks like the intake stub tube gaskets are leaking a bit. So I will replace them and the rubber tube above them.
Then start over agian.
1993 K1100LT

Offline frogy

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 06:20:38 PM »
Please keep us updated.I will be recieving an 85 K100RT this weekend.Never had a K before and am looking for possible future problems...only 15000 smiles on it.
2002 R1150RT
1985 K100 Naked

Craig

Offline mystic red

• Retired Professsional Driver
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2012, 07:25:04 PM »
Update. The reason I was getting an inconsistant voltage reading( the throttle stop was backed off) now that it is correct and I re-ajusted the TPS I get a consitant .375v almost everytime. Motor still run,s like crap once I connect the air box tubes .
I checked for Vacume leaks and it looks like the intake stub tube gaskets are leaking a bit. So I will replace them and the rubber tube above them.
Then start over agian.

That'll do it. It's hard to see those leaks and the rubber gets old.

Intake Rehab
here but it sounds like you got it figured. I went ahead and replaced everything degradable while I was there.

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2012, 07:34:36 PM »
I spent several hours on the phone last month trying to help a guy troubleshoot his crappy running 93.   One thing I suggested was redoing the heat sink compound between the ignition amp and the battery holder.  He tried it once and that didn't work but he then went back again, got both surfaces very clean and put ample amounts of heat sink compound in there and made sure the ground from the starter bolt to the battery holder was well-connected.  He called me today to tell that that cured his problems and his bike is running like a top.

It's in my maintenance write-up: http://www.motobrick.com/index.php/topic,339.0.html

It sure won't hurt to do so.
Once I had a Collie pup. Dug a hole and covered him up. Now I sit there by the hour. Waiting for a Collie-flower.
New to K bikes? Click here.
K Bike Maintenance & Mods: Click here.
Buy parts here.

Offline Skeezer

• Motobrick Curious
  • Flyin- Dutchman
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2012, 10:35:15 PM »
Ok guys heres my update.
I replaced the O-rings on the Intake Stud Tubes, as well as the Rubbers between the stub tubes and Throttle bodies.
Throttle Sync was a snap after that ( and following the Scotts instructions posted here)
TPS is set and the K is BACK. Runs like it should and I love My K once again.
 and as per Frankenduck I will do the Heat sync compound treatment.

Thanks  :2thumbup:
1993 K1100LT

Tags: