Author Topic: 87 K75C - First bike, a few Q's (oh, hello btw!)  (Read 3612 times)

Offline Gubro30

• ^ Motobrick Curious
87 K75C - First bike, a few Q's (oh, hello btw!)
« on: June 12, 2012, 08:25:50 PM »
Hi there!

This is my first bike, as I've moved away from snowmobiling.

Bike has 50,000mi/80,000km, and is in great shape. It's going in at the shop for a full tune-up next week.

What should I ask to be done for that bike at that age/mileage? I don't want it brand new again but I want a reliable ride that will last some.

New tires, battery, spark plugs, replacing dried hoses and having every fluid changed are already asked. The front engine cover seems to leak so that means a new seal. At what mileage is the timing chain to be changed on those?

How much to have the splines on the output shaft and at the final drive greased?

How much am I looking at, besides the tires? I'd like your guestimates as I'm new to motorcycles and don't know yet the works and parts' pricing.

Thanks!!!

G :k75s
1986 K75C with K100Std fairing, Black. 50Kmiles

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
Re: 87 K75C - First bike, a few Q's (oh, hello btw!)
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2012, 08:34:35 PM »
Where are you located?
Once I had a Collie pup. Dug a hole and covered him up. Now I sit there by the hour. Waiting for a Collie-flower.
New to K bikes? Click here.
K Bike Maintenance & Mods: Click here.
Buy parts here.

Offline Chaos

• Administrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
  • Mars needs women!
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2012, 09:08:32 PM »
Welcome!

If you take it to a dealer for all that work you may need a to take out a second mortgage.

Early K's are pretty simple to work on (plugs, oil, gas filter) I'd recommend Bridgestone Spitfires for tires, should be able to find them online for about $130 for the pair, take the wheels off yourself and have them mounted at you local shop.  Timing chains are not a regular maintenance item, mine's lasted 180k and is doing fine.  The leak at the front could be the water/oil pump seal ($$$$&pita) or the oil pressure sending unit (cheap and easy)

Good luck
  • sw ohio
1987 K75S    VIN 0231
Original owner, Original litter
200,000 miles (plus or minus) and 5 paint jobs
sold 6/23
2023 Ural 2WD sidecar (BMW's bastard step child)

Offline Gubro30

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2012, 09:13:47 PM »
Where are you located?

Montreal, Quebec.

Is the waterpump seal that expensive?

I'm going to an independent repair shop, there's no way I'm going at the stealership!
1986 K75C with K100Std fairing, Black. 50Kmiles

Offline exscouse

• Curious
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2012, 07:35:57 AM »
I am in Lachine and putting an 87 K75S back on the road.
If my experience is any example, costs will be higher than you think, we are in Quebec after all.
I've priced Bridgestone Spitfires at Pete's Superbike in Vaudreuil at $255 - tax in. From the states on the net it would be cheaper, but there might be shipping, duty and the $ exchange rate to factor in.

I'm doing whatever work that I can myself, and I would recommend that to you. It is a great way to get to know your bike.
You picked the right place to come for info. The folks here have a wealth of knowledge, and there is a lot of documentation available.
Digging around, you'll probably find that someone has already asked your question.

I've spent about $1000 so far and have done all fluids, fuel lines, filters, cleaned tank, replaced fuel pump and gauge, had the injectors cleaned in Pointe Claire, lubed final drive splines (Moly 60 is $30 here).

Good luck.
'87 K75S

Tags: