Author Topic: Ignition switch tabs  (Read 3157 times)

Offline mjydrafter

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
Ignition switch tabs
« on: June 08, 2012, 08:14:00 AM »
I was working on getting a spare key for the K75 yesterday.  Couldn't get the new one to work correctly, so I thought I would pull the ignition switch.

One of the plastic tabs was broken (replaced by some one with the tip of a ball point pen... who comes up with this stuff...) Anyway, I managed to break the good tab trying to wrestle it out...

Looked around and was astounded by the cost of a replacement (plus a lot of them only come with one key, so I would be back to square 1).  So I got it out, only to find the little set screw that holds the lock to the switch was badly corroded.  After finally getting it out (thanks Dremel) and getting the new steel key to work properly in the lock cylinder I moved on to how to fix the switch.

The design of the switch has one channel on each side of the switch about 1/4" wide.  This is where those stupid fragile tabs back into when you pull the switch out.  If you cut a couple of pieces of metal, and fold them over, they will fit into the channel and be held in place by the electrical switch and where the tabs break off.  I used the broken tab to get the correct length, and the folded piece of metal, the shorter side of the fold bent out like the original tab, to hold the switch in place. 

I was way to frustrated to snap any pics, but I will make an extra tab and get a picture so this makes a bit more sense.

Worked really well, the switch is nice and tight and my new key works so now I have a spare. :bmwsmile
1986 BMW K75c
1974 Suzuki TC-185 (the little 10 speed)

Offline mjydrafter

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
Re: Ignition switch tabs
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2012, 06:45:20 AM »
Sorry it took me so long to snap this picture...

You will have to make this the proper length, this one I just whipped up for a photo op. :yes

I added the ruler to give an idea of scale.

1986 BMW K75c
1974 Suzuki TC-185 (the little 10 speed)

Tags: