Author Topic: Valve Adjusting Tools for K75 & 2V K100 models (clutch pilot for all Ks)  (Read 26405 times)

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
In order to adjust the valves (by installing different thickness shims) on a K75 or 2V K100, you need a couple of special tools: one to compress the valve spring and another to hold it down while you swap the shims. The Clymer manual lists these as part numbers 111720 and 111722 respectively.  You can by them from BMW for $100 (see attached drawing below)

Or you can purchase some homemade ones:
(text from a post by Chaos)

Yes, "Valve Adjusting Tools" and “Clutch Pilots” are available for the BMW 2 valve "K" engine.
“Valve Adjusting Tools” (both K75 & K100) are 2 pieces made from 3/16” Laser cut steel. Working contours are identical to factory tools. "Valve Adjusting Tools" are new, from steel, w/ instructions.

"Valve Adjusting Tools" for BMW 2 valve "K" engines are $28 S/H included.
  Clutch pilots for BMW K's (both K75 & K100) are available also. New, from steel.
 Clutch Pilots for BMW K's , are $18.50 S/H included.

Cashiers Check, Money Order or Personal Check are welcome.
 “Pay Pal” accepted also. Please apply “Pay Pal” to:
 polepenhollow@yahoo.com

Once I had a Collie pup. Dug a hole and covered him up. Now I sit there by the hour. Waiting for a Collie-flower.
New to K bikes? Click here.
K Bike Maintenance & Mods: Click here.
Buy parts here.

Offline sch

• Motobrick Curious
Valve Adjusting Tools for K75 & 2V K100 models (clutch pilot for all Ks)
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2012, 02:35:05 PM »
Has anyone purchased these tools from Ken?

Offline Photog

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
Not those, at least not yet, but I bought my clutch alignment tool from him.
He ships fast, price seems reasonable.
  • NNE
  • K75-S

Offline rbm

I also purchased the clutch pilot.  It was simple and, for the money, a good buy.  Since I don't have access to a lathe, buying ready made is the only option.  To have a local machine shop turn up a clutch centering tool would easily be three times the price.
  • Regards, Robert
Toronto, Ontario

1987 K75 - Build Blog @http://k75retro.blogspot.ca/

Offline Chaos

• Administrator
  • Mars needs women!
I bought the valve adjusting tools.  Shipped fast, they look good and work beee-you-teee-fully!
  • sw ohio
1987 K75S    VIN 0231
Original owner, Original litter
200,000 miles (plus or minus) and 5 paint jobs
sold 6/23
2023 Ural 2WD sidecar (BMW's bastard step child)

Offline sch

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2012, 05:32:31 PM »
Excellent Thanks!! I'll be getting a set shortly.

Offline TimTyler

• Adrninistrator
Re: Valve Adjusting Tools for K75 & 2V K100 models (clutch pilot for all Ks)
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2012, 10:43:48 AM »
Updated contact info:

"K" engine Valve Adj tools available for the 2 valve "K" engine. $28 S/H included.

Clutch pilots for K's are available also. New, from steel  $18.50 S/H included.

Kenneth Lively
318 S Hart St
Palatine Il 60067

polepenhollow@yahoo.com
847-561-8555

-------------------------------------------

Offline NCJ

• Curious
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2012, 11:08:16 PM »
More kudos for Kenneth.....Gave him a quick call to let him know there's an order coming his way this evening - after working hours, at that - sent the funds via paypal, went to town to do a few errands, and got home to find an email stating that my order had shipped (usps). Just that fast, and again, after hours on a workday.

Wow.   :2thumbup:

I wish that sort of service were available all the time, everywhere.   :yes
'92 K75RTA - Koenigsblau

Offline sch

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2012, 09:45:25 AM »
I also did end up getting a set - they work great! Shipping to Canada was reasonable too.

Offline don

• Curious
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2014, 12:36:34 PM »
My first post...it is hard finding certain things for the k-bike...a search on this forum for a clutch alignment tool brought up a 2 year old post that listed Ken Lively as a possible source. So like others did on this blog, i called Ken and he was still supplying the clutch pilot tool as well as valve adjustment tools for really good prices and quality. Ken came thru for me, shipped them out the next morning! Wow!
Polepenhollow Valve Tools & Clutch Pilots. I'm now a registered user, obviously.
thanks Ken & Motobrick!

1991 K100RS  57,000 miles

Don

Offline F14CRAZY

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2014, 02:30:52 PM »
As far as the pilot tool, I've had my trans off like 5 times, and I've had good results with just eye-balling the clutch disc in the center of the pressure plate and housing, then pressing the throwout lever (that the cable connects to) while mating the trans to the bellhousing.

I'll probably look into the valve shim tools at some point but when I found I had a couple tight valves I was tired of messing with the bike and just had the dealer to the adjustment
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • '87 K75C
'87 K75C w/ Pichler V1 fairing. LED's, CATZ driving lights, Audiovox cruise, LT top case, tons of other mods by Drake...

Offline GoatLord

• Motobrick Curious
Another +1 for Kenneth. Got my tools last week and they made valve adjustment a cinch. I honestly think the tool makes the adjustment process easier than screw-and-locknut valves (well, except for having to buy shims). Related side note - KLR shims do indeed fit. Happened to have some from my old bomber, and lo and behold one was the right size.

Sure, you may be able to do it without the tools by pulling cams or doing something sketchy with a zip tie down the plug hole, but I would be you anything that halfway through that process you would be more than happy to pay $29 for the tools to make this a painless process. Kenneth ships quickly, too. Dunno how the $29/shipped price makes it worth his time.

Now, getting the @#$@#$% valve cover gasket to stay in place during cover fitment...that's a different story.  :bang-head:

Offline The Mighty Gryphon

• Administrator
Regarding shims, not to hijack this thread, but since the main issue with them is closing of the exhaust gap, what is the reason for not lapping a few thousandths off of the shim to open things up.  Yeah, it takes extra time, but it's a 3 hour trip for me to the closest dealer. 

I used to assemble and test control valves for rockets and jet planes.  We used to manually lap a number of the parts to get the required clearances.  No big deal.  A piece of 320 wet or dry on a chunk of plate glass and a bit of hydraulic fluid for cutting oil.  Nice even pressure and smooth back and forth.
  • In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:
'91 K100RS16V "Moby Brick Too"

Past:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'92 K100RS16V "Moby Brick" (RIP, deceased in a vehicular assault)
'94 K75S Special Edition Dakar Yellow "Cheetos"
'89 K100RS Special Edition "Special Ed"

Offline wmax351

Regarding shims, not to hijack this thread, but since the main issue with them is closing of the exhaust gap, what is the reason for not lapping a few thousandths off of the shim to open things up.  Yeah, it takes extra time, but it's a 3 hour trip for me to the closest dealer. 

I used to assemble and test control valves for rockets and jet planes.  We used to manually lap a number of the parts to get the required clearances.  No big deal.  A piece of 320 wet or dry on a chunk of plate glass and a bit of hydraulic fluid for cutting oil.  Nice even pressure and smooth back and forth.

Its probably okay, if done carefully. Though I believe those shims are hardened, and the lapping could remove the hardening.
  • Albuquerque, NM
  • 91 BMW K75 Standard, 98 Moto Guzzi California EV
Bikes:
Current:1991 BMW K75 Standard, 1998 Moto Guzzi California EV11
Past: '83 BMW R65LS, '75 Honda CB550F, '69 Honda CB175, 1999 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, 1973 Triumph Tiger TR7V, 1971 BMW R75/5 in Toaster outfit, 1979 Harley Davidson XLS-1000 Sportster Roadster

• Administrator
Good point.  All my shims are good right now, but if necessary I might try and grind one down and check the hardness.  Another issue may be the presence of a polished or chromed surface.  I haven't looked at mine that close other than to slip a feeler in there, but there may be a special finish on them.
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:

Past:

Offline GoatLord

• Motobrick Curious
I'd probably look at ordering online. The full kits are spendy, but sometimes you can get refill packs of specific sizes to just get the ones you need. More expensive than individual, but cheaper than a 3 hour trip for sure.

• Administrator
I probably would go online to Max BMW.  That's where I've gotten a lot of the parts for the two restorations I did last year.  Only problem is that their turnaround time is about 5 days.  They do list individual shims for my bike, and by BMW standards they are dirt cheap at only $6.70ea.  If I need them, that's probably what I'll be doing.
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:

Past:

Offline GoatLord

• Motobrick Curious
That's not bad, aside from the turnaround time. Hard to find a place that sells individual shims online...I wonder if the klr clan knows about that option.

Offline K75rt

• Motobrick Curious
Add another very satisfied customer - Ken's valve tools shipped quickly, are high quality, and made the job a breeze.

Offline F14CRAZY

Reminds me...I checked my valves last year and had 2 or 3 that were tight and I had the dealer adjust them. I noticed that they didn't charge me for shims. Is it typical for dealers to go to their bucket-o-shims and grab what my bike needs then throw my old shims back into their bucket?

Or did they just not do the valve adjustment...
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • '87 K75C
'87 K75C w/ Pichler V1 fairing. LED's, CATZ driving lights, Audiovox cruise, LT top case, tons of other mods by Drake...

• Administrator
What do you think?
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:

Past:

Offline K75rt

• Motobrick Curious
Pop the valve cover and check, you can pick up decent valve feeler guages at autozone for $5.  Probably a good time to replace all the valve cover bolt bobbins and half moons, they are cheap and often neglected.

As for shims, my dealer just swapped them out for me when they found they had none in stock I needed.  I sure wish BMW still sold the complete shim kit instead of just the empty blue container.

Offline koapono

regarding bucket shims: another trick is to just flip the shim over, the bottom becomes the top. this is an unworn surface and might save you a trip to shim-store. done this many times without any issues.
  • prince george, VA (25 miles south of richmond)
  • 1994 K1100LT

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2015, 06:29:39 PM »
Here's a well done video about using the valve adjustment tools of the type discussed in this thread.
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.
https://tinyurl.com/RillRider

Offline Scud

« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2015, 12:57:50 AM »
Thanks for the video link. Coincidentally, I read this thread earlier today and sent an inquiry to see if the tool was still available. It is. Now that I've seen exactly how it is used, I placed my order.
  • Carlsbad, CA
  • 1992 K75s. 2002 Moto Guzzi V11 Scura, 2003 Moto Guzzi V11 LeMans. 2007 Husqvarna TE450

Tags: