Author Topic: your best bird story  (Read 7813 times)

Offline DRxBMW

• ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
your best bird story
« on: January 11, 2012, 08:11:59 AM »
Let's have some FUN in this thread.

Share your best bird story incident on two wheels.

Kurt and I are blasting westbound on I 80 headed into Cali, when BAM a giant crow hits him directly in the upper chest neck area. friggin blood and feathers everywhere.

After pulling over to access the situation, a lady in white van stops to see if we need medical help. he he, she thought shots were fired there was such a copious amount of blood at the scene.

Took awhile for poor ole Kurt to get back in the groove. Literally could see him flinching whenever our feathered friend were flying nearby.

Gary
Williamsport,Pa

1994 K 75 ABS "custom"
2005 F 650 GS

Offline Uffda

• ^ Motobrick Curious
Minnesota Canadian Geese
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2012, 04:37:43 PM »
My August trip to ND, via NY, Canada, Michigan, Wisconsin almost ended in a wipeout via a flock of Canadian geese.  I was moving at a good clip on deserted Minnesota farmland roads, beautiful day, I was enjoying the lake that went right next to my road and to my right, I noticed a flock of geese taking off or simply flying low over the lake, perpendicular to my direction.  Somehow, my brain did not compute that they were on a collision course with me and did not seem to have any intent on climbing.  The first three passed in front of me (headlight level) and it was the third or fourth goose that left skid marks on my helmet from their webbed feet, just as I ducked (no pun intended).  I''ve always been on the lookout for deer but low flying kamikazee geese are now on my ever expanding watch list.
  • New England
  • 1995 K75RT
Robert

Offline wmax351

• ^ Quintessential Motobricker
Re: your best bird story
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2012, 04:47:54 PM »
Some dumb chickadee tried to fly through my wheel.  :yow I think it made it, or it was wholly and truely vaporized, as I did not see any blood.
  • Albuquerque, NM
  • 91 BMW K75 Standard, 98 Moto Guzzi California EV
Bikes:
Current:1991 BMW K75 Standard, 1998 Moto Guzzi California EV11
Past: '83 BMW R65LS, '75 Honda CB550F, '69 Honda CB175, 1999 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, 1973 Triumph Tiger TR7V, 1971 BMW R75/5 in Toaster outfit, 1979 Harley Davidson XLS-1000 Sportster Roadster

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2012, 04:58:25 PM »
Not very traumatic for me but it was for the bird.  I was doing about 80 on my K1100LT on a straight Nevada backroad.  Saw a robin come in fast-n-low from the right but didn't see him exit to the left.  Didn't think much of it at the time.

When I got to my camping spot for the evening I looked down to find a feather and some blood on my boot:

There was more evidence on the bike and I'd guess that the crash bar took him out:

Once I had a Collie pup. Dug a hole and covered him up. Now I sit there by the hour. Waiting for a Collie-flower.
New to K bikes? Click here.
K Bike Maintenance & Mods: Click here.
Buy parts here.

Offline WayneDW

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2012, 05:53:42 PM »
The day after I clipped a deer and survived I had a turkey run across the road in front of me.  I think nature was after me that weekend.
  • Minneapolis, MN, USA
  • 1992 K75RT

Offline mystic red

• Retired Professsional Driver
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2012, 08:33:56 PM »
Turkey's are flippin' scary!

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2012, 09:53:09 PM »
Turkey's are flippin' scary!

And poodles. Big black poodles....
Once I had a Collie pup. Dug a hole and covered him up. Now I sit there by the hour. Waiting for a Collie-flower.
New to K bikes? Click here.
K Bike Maintenance & Mods: Click here.
Buy parts here.

Offline CRASH

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2012, 01:09:56 AM »
I have nothing like you guys ... I guess I have been lucky.   Worst I have had was when an owl with about an 8 foot wingspan swooped on me and it's wing went between my face and the windshield.   My buddy behind me thought I got hit, but it was a clean pass. It was late at night and we were way out driving our lights ... I slowed down.

Now I did hear a story YEARS ago - 'fore the Ninnernet, where a guy in the bay area here was riding with his best girl on the back and got hit square in the chest by a bird.  Hit him so hard it pushed him to the back of the seat and his girl to the tail section. (she clearly had a hell of a grip on him)  He was certain that the extra body mass kept him from getting knocked off the bike and killed (yeah, he was supposed to be movin' at a purty good clip).  He pulled over, brushed the bird mess off his chest and asked his girl to marry him on the spot. I dunno ... think I would have just told her to wash my damn jacket.  :hehehe  No idea on the truth of that tail ... sounds pretty urban legendish ... but a good tale none the less.
- CRASH -

Offline Ocelot

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
  • Ocelot: small, agile, powerful, stealthy.
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2012, 07:46:12 AM »
Way out in the hinterlands of West By Gawd Virginia, riding Annie, our R1200CLC, a turkey pullet dashed halfway across the road and disappeared. We knew we'd hit something, but round the next bend too quick to see what happened to him. Several miles later, stench got so bad we had to pull over. Pullet had stuck behind the headers and was cooking itself. Lazy ass bird -- hunted itself up, killed itself, cooked itself, but couldn't be bothered to pluck and gut itself.

I have a theory that red bikes attract bird strikes..
1990 K75C Ocelot
2003 R1200CLC Annie
2007 KLR650 Biffy Bullfrog

Offline DRxBMW

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2012, 08:31:52 AM »
I have nothing like you guys ... I guess I have been lucky.   Worst I have had was when an owl with about an 8 foot wingspan swooped on me and it's wing went between my face and the windshield.   My buddy behind me thought I got hit, but it was a clean pass. It was late at night and we were way out driving our lights ... I slowed down.

Here's a different twist _______________________, airborne motorcycle strikes bird.   :bmwsmile

Gary
Williamsport,Pa

1994 K 75 ABS "custom"
2005 F 650 GS

Tags: