Author Topic: Good Batteries to buy???  (Read 2607 times)

Offline Snowman

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
  • Aberdeen SD.
Good Batteries to buy???
« on: October 17, 2020, 03:42:30 PM »
I am in need of a new battery for a K1100, the project I have came without one. Looking for your good and bad experiences with the multitude of options out there. Does the more you pay get you a better battery? Let me know. My last battery was given to me in exchange for work done so haven't been shopping for one in a while.

Offline Scott_

• Administrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
Re: Good Batteries to buy???
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2020, 04:19:06 PM »
I personally use a Westco 12v20p.
I usually get about 4-5 years life out of them, and for less than $100 I can't complain.

Others may recommend the Odyssey pc680, though I've not used one.

Like with everything else in the economy today, stuff doesn't last like it used to. Quality is no longer top priority. YMMV.
  • My Garage
1995 K1100LT 0302044
1997 R1100RT ZC62149
2017 FLHTK Ultra Limited
1997 K1100LT 0302488 (R.I.P.)
"One who does not ask questions is ashamed to learn" Danish proverb

Offline The Mighty Gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2020, 04:23:01 PM »
I have a Scorpion battery in my K75RT that is now 6 years old and has over 40,000 miles on it.  I got it from an online battery dealer.  I also have another one I installed in a K100RS last winter.  That one has had some issues with starting the bike, but I believe they are related to a failing voltage regulator that doesn't begin charging until rpm's get over 3000. 

I also had a Scorpion battery in a 16V K100RS that failed after 2 years.  While I can't say for sure, I think that bike also had a malfunctioning regulator or worn brushes.  Besides the battery, the bike also had a problem with the engine dying at stops after long high speed runs that was cured by replacing the regulator and brushes.  I sold that bike shortly after replacing the regulator, so I can't say for sure if that was the problem.  Having said that,  I saw the person I sold it to several times after the purchase and he never mentioned battery or engine quitting problems with the bike when he owned it.
  • In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:
'91 K100RS16V "Moby Brick Too"

Past:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'92 K100RS16V "Moby Brick" (RIP, deceased in a vehicular assault)
'94 K75S Special Edition Dakar Yellow "Cheetos"
'89 K100RS Special Edition "Special Ed"

Offline Chaos

• Administrator
  • Mars needs women!
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2020, 04:35:49 PM »
I had good luck with the Westco, about 6 years, the and Odyssey PC 680 which I've had a couple that lasted over 6 years.
  • sw ohio
1987 K75S    VIN 0231
Original owner, Original litter
200,000 miles (plus or minus) and 5 paint jobs
sold 6/23
2023 Ural 2WD sidecar (BMW's bastard step child)

Offline Martin

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2020, 05:40:55 PM »
I had 8 years and 5 years out of two Dekas AGM's. But expensive in OZ and have to be ordered in. I also got 6 years out of a Rev Plus but they're no longer available for Bricks.
Regards Martin.
  • North Lakes Queensland Australia
  • 1992 K75s Hybrid, Lefaux, Vespa V twin.

Offline daveson

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2020, 06:44:53 PM »
Had a motobatt (AGM)  with no probs at least five years old that sat unused for at least a year before I got it. Came from a 97 Vulcan 1500, so smaller and easy to fit. Get one easy to fit,  the normal ones are a brain ache to fit. Sold it with the Vulcan but recon it had years of life left. Has four battery terminals.

Got a ride on mower for $100 dollars recently with a new battery, it fits a brick, but it's another brain ache tight fit.

• Victoria, Australia
  • Current;'85 K100RT~100,000km; four other bricks. Past; 1500 Vulcan, V Star 650, KLX 250(dirt bike) TT250(dirt bike)

Offline Snowman

• Aberdeen SD.
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2020, 12:49:01 PM »
Thank you all for your input, much appreciated.

Offline rbm

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2020, 02:13:44 PM »
I like the Odyssey PC680 I bought for my K75. 

Avoid cheap Chinese AGM batteries like the plague.  They will die on you without notice at the least opportune time (Ha, like there is an opportune time for a battery to die come to think of it).  Ask me how I know.
  • Regards, Robert
Toronto, Ontario

1987 K75 - Build Blog @http://k75retro.blogspot.ca/

Offline koapono

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2020, 03:22:20 PM »
I use the Odyssey brand as well on both scoots. I also have an isolation switch on each bike that takes battery out of circuit. During the winter I disconnect battery via switch and keep it topped off with trickle charger every month or so.
They have been lasting 5 - 6 years on average.
  • prince george, VA (25 miles south of richmond)
  • 1994 K1100LT

Offline daveson

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2020, 03:40:03 PM »
How do you know rbm?

How long did it last?

Actually I haven't bought tyres or batteries in decades (talking about cars, recent to bikes) you can easy get a car for the price wreckers pay and swap the bits and take to the wreckers. I spose that shows I get them about 15  or so years old.
  • Victoria, Australia
  • Current;'85 K100RT~100,000km; four other bricks. Past; 1500 Vulcan, V Star 650, KLX 250(dirt bike) TT250(dirt bike)

Offline rbm

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2020, 05:51:22 PM »
How do you know rbm?
Dave, I thought you'd never ask!  Actually went out and bought some cheap $70 KMG-branded battery from a notoriously shady motorcycle aftermarket place and, don't ya know, after 1 lousy year and a bit the thing just crapped out.  Motorcycle stalled in the middle of the ride home from work and wouldn't even turn over.  Ten volts on the terminals when standing.  Luckily, it wasn't far from BocutterEd's place so he helped me push it to his garage where it stayed until I could get a new battery installed.

How long did it last?
Like I said 1 year and  a bit.  With good maintenance and winterizing practices observed also.
  • Regards, Robert
Toronto, Ontario

1987 K75 - Build Blog @http://k75retro.blogspot.ca/

Offline stokester

• ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2020, 07:38:09 PM »
I like the Odyssey PC680 I bought for my K75. 

Avoid cheap Chinese AGM batteries like the plague.  They will die on you without notice at the least opportune time (Ha, like there is an opportune time for a battery to die come to think of it).  Ask me how I know.

I likewise use Odyssey batteries in my bricks and my airheads.  Yes they are pricey but I managed to get eight years out my last one.

All my bikes are on battery tenders throughout the year which I believe has added years to the life of previous Panasonic and Westco batteries.
  • Yorktown Virginia
  • '94 K75S Dakar Yellow - '93 K75S Seiden Blau - '91 R100RT Bermuda Blue- '78 R100S Smoke Red

Offline Snowman

• Aberdeen SD.
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2020, 06:57:41 PM »
Good info guys, I too prefer to spend a little more for peace of mind when hitting the starter button.
Thanks!

Offline SinNH

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2020, 04:33:55 PM »
How long a battery last? Depends on maintenance, maintenance, main,,,ok.          I still use Yuasa AGM and trickle charge each machine the first few days of each month during the mothball season. Me? About six years in Airheads, Honda v-4's, Guzzis, Zuke v-twins, and the beloved K1100s.
  • NH
  • 93 K1100 LTA greenish

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2020, 05:10:01 PM »
I still use Yuasa AGM and trickle charge each machine the first few days of each month during the mothball season.
My moto's Yuasa battery was in it when I bought the moto seven years and 60,000 miles ago. I ride the moto as my only transportation almost every day from May to November. It goes on a long ride the last day of riding season then I roll it into the unheated shop where temperatures can drop into the -20ºF range during winter storage, change the fluids and disconnect the negative battery terminal from its transmission mount. When I reconnect the battery in May, the moto starts and away we go.

I might get a replacement battery in the spring of 2021 if long-distance traveling is more feasible than it was this year but I really want to get more mileage out of the one I have right now.  :laughing4-giggles:
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.
https://tinyurl.com/RillRider

Offline Gio

« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2020, 09:17:39 AM »
I have had exceptional experience with Odyssey on my (recently sold) Moto Guzzi V11 (PC545 from memory) ... only TWO batteries in almost 20 years of ownership (last one installed in 2008) - always trickle charged over winter (despite caution against this from other users ??). The MG was ridden regularly until 2018 and probably getting due for replacement after 10 years service. Awesome battery and so despite (or as a result of?) higher $ than alternates, am hoping to have similar experience with the PC680 when that time comes (next spring - have an EBC in there now from bikes time in the UK, but not ridden since 2014 ...)

Gio
  • NS, Canada
  • K75s ("Buttercup")
Halifax, NS
1994 K75s (UK spec)
1984 Honda 200ES (Big Red)

Offline jad01

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2020, 11:01:38 AM »
I likewise use Odyssey batteries in my bricks and my airheads.  Yes they are pricey but I managed to get eight years out my last one.

All my bikes are on battery tenders throughout the year which I believe has added years to the life of previous Panasonic and Westco batteries.

I have an Odyssey PC680 in my K75; it's the 2nd one for that bike.  The first one, installed by the PO was at least 6 years old.  It sat for a long time between uses for a few years, so I suspect that shortened its life somewhat or may have still been going. 

FWIW, I have a PC925 in one of my airheads that has been in it since 2008 and still going strong.  I like Panasonic AGMs as well... 10 years out of the one I just replaced in my other airhead.
Jim
'86 K75C, '84 R100RS, '78 R80/7

Tags: