Author Topic: New Bricker  (Read 2057 times)

Offline Ausfahrt

• Curious
New Bricker
« on: October 09, 2020, 04:17:47 PM »
 BMW guy here with a few boxers but I've never owned a brick. Thanks for having me and I'm glad that I found you guys. I've always wanted to try out a brick but I have not had the opportunity.  That is hopefully about to change.

I'm going to look at an '87 K75 on Monday or Tuesday that has rear a drum so I think that it's a base C model. 57k miles and the seller says that he has owned it for ten years. I'm reasonably knowledgeable about bikes in general but what do I need to look for when I check out this 33yo treasure?

Any thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated.
  • USA
  • 1987 k75

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
Re: New Bricker
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2020, 08:02:19 PM »
Welcome, Ausfahrt! I'll start you off.

Beneath the combination oil/water pump at the front of the engine is a weep hole. If that hole is moist with either oil or coolant you will likely have a seal replacement job ahead of you if it starts to drip more than occasionally and you have a low tolerance for imperfection. Replacement is an exacting procedure that requires patience and OEM seals and other parts to complete. Many here have done it—more than once if they weren't patient enough the first time.  :laughing4-giggles:  The green arrow indicates the oil filter cover on the oil sump; the red arrow indicates the weep hole.
[/

The forward lower part of the transmission case has a weep hole. If engine oil is discovered there the most likely sources are the rear main output shaft seal or the output shaft O-ring, or both. Replacement of those is covered in many threads here and in Clymers, Haynes and the BMW workshop manual downloadable here. If transmission oil is leaking from the hole, you'll eventually need to replace a transmission seal on the front of the transmission. Red arrow is at the weep hole; green arrow is at the sump. Part of the center stand is seen.

If oil has leaked onto the pavement from the rear of the transmission swing arm housing, the clutch boot has been torn and will require replacement or the clutch arm is not contacting the clutch piston sufficiently and will need adjustment.

You can ask when the rear drive pinion splines were lubed and what lube was used, and when the transmission input shaft splines were lubed and what lube was used. If no information is forthcoming, you'll need to do both those tasks. There's plenty of help here and in Chris Harris's videos. These shafts are the Achille's heel of two-valve Bricks. Regular maintenance is essential for their wellbeing.

More suggestions will undoubtedly be posted.
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.
https://tinyurl.com/RillRider

Offline Ausfahrt

• Curious
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2020, 11:32:56 AM »
  That's exactly the kind of stuff that I was hoping for.

Thanks.  112350
  • USA
  • 1987 k75

Offline Ausfahrt

• Curious
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2020, 03:42:52 PM »
  Success.

For better or for worse I bought the K75 yesterday. I haven't had a chance to check it out yet but here is a pic from the trip home in the pouring rain.
  • USA
  • 1987 k75

Offline Ausfahrt

• Curious
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2020, 03:50:56 PM »
  Ok. So I don't get to post a picture.  Here's a link....maybe.

https://www.smugmug.com/app/photos?imageKey=BWgj5fS
  • USA
  • 1987 k75

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2020, 06:53:00 PM »
  Ok. So I don't get to post a picture.
Yes, you do. Review the photo posting instructions carefully. Using the Attachments and other options feature, photos won't appear in Preview but placeholder text might. Disregard that. Insert the photos then post. They should appear after the text when your message is posted.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2020, 04:56:34 PM »
  Ok. So I don't get to post a picture.  Here's a link....maybe.https://www.smugmug.com/app/photos?imageKey=BWgj5fS
That link doesn't work. When it's copied then pasted into a search engine, it leads to a login window at SmugMug, not a photo array.
When you use the Attachment and other options feature on this site, size your photos to less than 1MB.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline stokester

• ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2020, 07:42:45 PM »
Welcome to the best source of info on the classic K bikes.
So where in the USA are you located?

When I was stationed in Germany many years ago the joke was that Ausfahrt was the largest city in Germany because all the exits led to it!
  • Yorktown Virginia
  • '94 K75S Dakar Yellow - '93 K75S Seiden Blau - '91 R100RT Bermuda Blue- '78 R100S Smoke Red

Tags: