Author Topic: Silly Battery Connections Question  (Read 277 times)

Offline proof.projects

• Curious
Silly Battery Connections Question
« on: July 26, 2020, 01:56:12 PM »
Hey yall, in trying to sort through some starting troubles I've forgotten to label (didnt think id have too, but.. 7 bikes in the garage right now) the battery connections.

Are there three wires that go on the positive terminal and just the one main ground to the frame on the negative? or is the little black wire (with a "-" imprinted on the terminal ring) also to be on the negative terminal of the battery? the wiring diagram shows 3 wires coming off the positive terminal for my year (85 k100) but im a just a little uneasy about blowing a fuse or wrecking this battery off my other bike.

Apologies for such a silly post but id rather not fry anything than ask a dumb question.
  • Minnesota
  • 85 K100RT, 87 K100LT parts bike, and a garage of hondas

Offline Laitch

• Redline 7000
  • Forum Moderator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
Re: Silly Battery Connections Question
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2020, 02:19:33 PM »
Has this moto been remodeled? Are there any aftermarket accessories? What's the starting trouble, when did it happen and where else, other than the battery, have you explored its cause?
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 77,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.
https://tinyurl.com/RillRider

Offline proof.projects

• Curious
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2020, 02:33:24 PM »
not been remodeled. last summer was when it last ran. i rode it to work and back, only a few miles each way. parked it out in front of my house on the side stand, went to start it later that day and it wouldnt turn over.

First cleaned all the recommended connections with D5. No luck. Spun it back as recommended in gear for the starter. fuel pump is working but i havent yet checked its clogged. i did just replace the plugs and got fuel injectors installed from mr injector.

i do have the fairing and gauges off currently while trying to do a little cleaning, but that was after i tried some of the recommended fixes.

havent changed the fuel yet.

• Minnesota

Offline proof.projects

• Curious
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2020, 03:18:33 PM »
when replacing the injectors i did notice the hose into the left side of the throttle bodies was cut so i snipped it and pushed it back in its place. havent tried to start it since then because i dont want to fry this shorai.
  • Minnesota

Offline Laitch

• Redline 7000
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2020, 05:41:00 PM »
Are there three wires that go on the positive terminal and just the one main ground to the frame on the negative? or is the little black wire (with a "-" imprinted on the terminal ring) also to be on the negative terminal of the battery? the wiring diagram shows 3 wires coming off the positive terminal for my year (85 k100)
The wiring array you have described—three on positive, one on negative—is pretty much the same for all 2V Bricks. Mine has that array. You didn't answer the question about whether you have aftermarket accessories, e.g., a GPS, driving lights, anti-theft device, food processor or heated grips.

Is there a cable bolted to the transmission somewhere above the shift lever? If there is, which cable is it? The stock battery ground cable gets bolted there. The cable indicated by the arrow looks like it could the ground cable but it's too difficult to tell from here.  :laughing4-giggles:

Are you indicating in Reply #2 that when the starter button is pressed, the starter doesn't turn over the engine but the fuel pump operates?
  • 1995 K75 77,000 miles

Offline proof.projects

• Curious
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2020, 10:54:00 PM »
No additional accessories. I dont think the PO toyed with any of the electrical but he was, at the least, the second or third owner. these cables dont align with the wiring diagram posted here which is why im hesitant.

The larger green cable on the negative side of the battery is certainly the ground, it leads to the ground behind/above the shift lever as you indicate.

The cable you have pointed out is the one im curious about. it has a "-" symbol on the cable near the ring but it leads off to the other (similarly smaller gauge, and 7.5 amp fused) cable thats hovering above the positive terminal. these two "meet" and run off toward the right side of the engine (not in the garage right now see their exact location/connection).

in reply #2 im stating that upon trying to start the bike it will act/sound/etc like the bike wants to turn over, but wont get the engine turned over. im hearing the fuel pump, or fairly certain that i am, this is my only bike with a fuel pump.

• Minnesota

Offline Laitch

• Redline 7000
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2020, 12:44:19 PM »
The larger green cable on the negative side of the battery is certainly the ground, it leads to the ground behind/above the shift lever as you indicate.
these two "meet" and run off toward the right side of the engine (not in the garage right now see their exact location/connection).

. . . upon trying to start the bike it will act/sound/etc like the bike wants to turn over, but wont get the engine turned over. im hearing the fuel pump . . .
Any cable with an inline fuse is an aftermarket addition. By two cables "meet" do you mean they connect or do you mean they follow parallel paths? Trace the two cables that "meet" to their sources.

The battery seems to indicate it needs a charge. What is its resting voltage? When are you hearing the fuel pump—when you turn on the ignition, when the starter button is pressed or when the starter button is released?
  • 1995 K75 77,000 miles

Offline proof.projects

• Curious
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2020, 07:28:44 PM »
ok, so im a big dummy (as you already assumed im sure). traced those wires, that RAN parallel but not wired connected... they were for a battery tender. sooo got that out of the way. totally not connected to any component of the bike aside from the battery.

ive got 3 wires off the positive from TWO different leads. the big green sucker is ground of course, cleaned at its base.

is there any obvious cause of a no start after sitting on a side stand in heat for a few hours.

the attached image is a (rough) shot of a couple connections that have no home in the box under the tank.

• Minnesota

Offline proof.projects

• Curious
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2020, 07:32:32 PM »
here should be a post of my relay station
  • Minnesota

Offline Laitch

• Redline 7000
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2020, 08:11:43 AM »
im a just a little uneasy about blowing a fuse . . ..id rather not fry anything than ask a dumb question
ok, so im a big dummy (as you already assumed im sure).

ive got 3 wires off the positive from TWO different leads. the big green sucker is ground of course, cleaned at its base.
A blown fuse of the correct amperage helps locate a problem circuit which you can then investigate. It's not a big deal; it's doing its job. Pick up spares at a hardware store before you continue.

Concerning your preoccupation with your own dummyhood, let's leave that out of this. Switch focus :laughing4-giggles:

Those two connectors are standard for equipment, accessories and such—no problem there. That green battery ground cable terminal looks like the British definition of a kluge; its diameter is unnecessarily large, too. Rid it of that horseshoe terminal and attach to it a ring terminal that fits the battery terminal, like the positive side connections have. The positive side wire array looks appropriate. Let's not continue to obsess over it.

Concerning your no-start after a couple of hours question, answer the two other questions you were asked in Reply #6 and we may come up with something.
  • 1995 K75 77,000 miles

Offline proof.projects

• Curious
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2020, 09:09:22 AM »
voltage on the shorai is 13.2. voltage on the new motobatt 22ah is 12.2.

hearing the pump after pressing and releasing the starter button.

Ive read in another thread that you can disconnect the hose in the tank and visually inspect if the pump is pushing fuel or not, should this be my next step?
  • Minnesota

Offline The Mighty Gryphon

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2020, 09:38:00 AM »
12.2v is a discharged battery.
  • In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '94 K75RT Mystic Red, '91K100RS White/Blue, '89 K100RS Special edition White/Blue
Current:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'91 K100RS "Moby Brick Too
'89 K100RS SE

Offline proof.projects

• Curious
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2020, 03:01:52 PM »
discharged as in send it back? or give it a charge and try it again?

the shorai is less ah than i want to run on this bike but it just fired up my cx like a champ.

the panasonic 28ah i had on it is presumably dead, sitting at 6v after an overnight charge.
  • Minnesota

Offline Laitch

• Redline 7000
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2020, 03:18:54 PM »
discharged as in send it back? or give it a charge and try it again? 
Discharged as in it's insufficiently charged. What you do with it is up to you. You'll need to use the Shorai to start this thing unless you can get the Motobatt to hold a full charge, or add another new battery—that has a full charge—to your selection. Change that battery ground cable's battery connection first.
  • 1995 K75 77,000 miles

Tags: