Author Topic: Water pump seal problems (Diffrent seal for 32 tooth?)  (Read 47 times)

Offline bext

• Curious
Water pump seal problems (Diffrent seal for 32 tooth?)
« on: June 30, 2020, 05:40:08 AM »
Hello guys, just did a rebuild of my k100 rs -89 (16 valve) oil and water pump. Ordered the complete seal kit of motobins.com.
When i was done pressing on the coolant seal i tried turning the shaft around using the allen key, and oboy was it heavy to turn. When watching people doing the job on youtube it seems to turn very easy.

However i installed it to the bike and started it. No leaks for around 10min then it started to sip out coolant through the "leak detection hole".
Took the pump apart again and i noticed that the inside of the coolant seal had been turning with the shaft so the blue seal had been melted and that started the leak.

Sine my bike is a 16v model my shaft is 32 tooth, Is there a diffrent coolant seal for that shaft? I cant seem to find one. It feels like my shaft is a too tigt fit for this seal.

I hope you understand my english.. Best regards.
  • sweden
  • k100rs -90

Offline Laitch

• Redline 7000
  • Forum Moderator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
Re: Water pump seal problems (Diffrent seal for 32 tooth?)
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2020, 12:09:05 PM »
When i was done pressing on the coolant seal i tried turning the shaft around using the allen key, and oboy was it heavy to turn. When watching people doing the job on youtube it seems to turn very easy.

Is there a diffrent coolant seal for that shaft?
It is supposed to turn easily. The seal is the same for all shafts on both 2V and 4V models. You likely installed the seal incorrectly, driving it too far down the shaft or deforming it somehow in the process. Installation is a procedure that takes careful attention and a light touch. Many of us have needed to repeat the installation because the first one failed.

Which instructions did you use?
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 77,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.
https://tinyurl.com/RillRider

Tags: