Author Topic: New member - Please help me choose my 2nd K75.  (Read 118 times)

Offline Che75

• Curious
New member - Please help me choose my 2nd K75.
« on: June 29, 2020, 03:17:54 PM »
Hello everyone,

I am new to the forum but have gotten some great info here in the past when stumped by my 91 K75RT. I love my bike so much it hurts, but it literally hurts all summer when I’m stuck behind that fairing in full gear. So, after racking my brain as to which bike to get, I decided to go with another K75, one for warm weather and one for the cold. My RT is extremely comfortable in the 40s and even down to 30, and will be much better with heated grips installed.

So my options are... get a second RT and strip one down. This is a good option because I could get one a bit newer that may have heated grips, better alternator etc, and could save me from having to do these upgrades on my current bike, which I would strip to naked or just a windshield.

Second, I could get a standard or C. It would be ready to go for my purposes but leave me with all of the upgrade projects for the RT.

Third, I could get an S. Aesthetically, this is the bike I want, but I know for my long-distance rides I would likely want to put the C bars on it.  This leads to my first question: how far forward does a person of average height lean? I have never owned a bike with anything but an upright riding position. I feel that I might prefer the lean for handling but would get tired doing 500+ mile days.  Is ther a lot of cable and wiring replacement involved in changing the bars? I am having trouble saying no to this option because I love the way they look so much but I really want a bike I can put miles on now and save my projects for the cold weather. My brother and I are planning a ‘Saddlesore’ iron Butt ride so it really needs to be comfy.

Finally, how important does everyone consider the ABS? I have never owned a bike that had it but I am leaning towards making sure this one does. Also, are there any other benefits to specific model years that I might not be aware of?

Sorry for all of the questions. I have never really joined a forum of any kind so please let me know if I violate etiquette.  I appreciate any assistance as I will likely have to travel a ways to find a good one and would like to be pretty sure before driving 300 miles.

Thanks!
  • Akron, Ohio
  • 1991 K75RT

Offline Laitch

• Redline 7000
  • Forum Moderator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
Re: New member - Please help me choose my 2nd K75.
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2020, 04:01:05 PM »
Height is comprised of two main measurements—leg length and trunk length. A comfortable lean angle is mainly comprised of trunk length and arm length. Declaring what is average is a challenge because of these variables.

Use this tool, input your measurements and get an idea of lean angle. Comfort in forward lean depends also on core strength. Somebody with unconditioned abdominal muscles could have a difficult time adapting to forward lean.

ABS is useful. This system is the earliest motorcycle model. Occasionally they can have faults that need corrective processes, some of which owners can do. Other faults need professional attention. There's a technician in Japan that specializes in diagnosis and repair of these early ABS systems.

If you find yourself frequently needing to brake suddenly, you might benefit from ABS immediately. Such a need also indicates that your situational awareness while riding needs further development.
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 77,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.
https://tinyurl.com/RillRider

Offline Che75

• Curious
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2020, 04:19:25 PM »
Oh wow what an awesome tool.  It says it would be a 22 degree lean on an S as opposed to 0 on my RT.  However, that reduced knee bend would increase comfort in a different way.  Thank you for the info.  I guess I am really wondering if anyone has experience with both.
  • Akron, Ohio
  • 1991 K75RT

Offline Laitch

• Redline 7000
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2020, 04:31:19 PM »
I guess I am really wondering if anyone has experience with both.
Yes, many here. Maybe somebody will chime in. If you really want to put Iron Butt miles on a moto, use your RT. That's its best use. Invest several hundred dollars  in a high quality seat built around your body dimensions—or find one cheaper, install it and efficient auxiliary lights on the RT then have a blast.
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 77,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.
https://tinyurl.com/RillRider

Offline The Mighty Gryphon

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2020, 04:38:49 PM »
I have owned both a K75RT and a K75S.  Both bikes had stock bars.  I have put 40,000 miles touring on the RT.  I can do 24 hours straight on that bike(Iron Butt Bun Burner Gold) with no problems. 

The S was my local weekend fun bike.  I could easily do 500-600 mile days on that bike.  I did a fly and buy when I got it, riding it 2200 miles home in 4 days.  Mostly Interstate.  I did two 700 mile days on that trip.  The last couple hours of those days was not that much fun.

The slightly lower weight and center of gravity of the S makes it less tiring to ride aggressively in the twisties than the RT.  The lack of the big fairing on the S makes it feel a lot cooler than the RT.  The forward lean on the S isn't that extreme IMO, but I know people who have problems.

My specs, I'm 6'1" sleeve length is 35 1/2" weight 190#, and 72 years old.  Hope this helps.
  • In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '94 K75RT Mystic Red, '91K100RS White/Blue, '89 K100RS Special edition White/Blue
Current:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'91 K100RS "Moby Brick Too
'89 K100RS SE

Offline Che75

• Curious
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2020, 04:46:10 PM »
Laitch,

As I read the words, I know them to be true.  The RT really fits my purposes best.  The reason I am looking for another in the first place is that my particular bike needs some TLC.  It was not the greatest cared for machine prior to my ownership, but I know that it is well worth the time I need to put into it (it is currently not running).  I am not an expert mechanic but I am eventually able to figure it out in most cases.  Only after weeks or months of not riding.   It reliably took me on a long road trip two years ago and I could not have been more comfortable.  I just want to find one that may have a bit better history of maintainence.  I like working on my bike but not as much as riding.  There is a really nice RT that I am looking at in my price range and that might just be the best way for me to go.  I appreciate it. 

I mean, maybe I just need to have three.
  • Akron, Ohio
  • 1991 K75RT

Offline Che75

• Curious
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2020, 04:47:55 PM »
TMG,

Awesome thank you for the input.
  • Akron, Ohio
  • 1991 K75RT

Offline alabrew

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2020, 04:38:36 PM »
Sounds to me the best option is the git a new RT with the options you want and strip down the one you have.
I have both a Standard and a RS, the lean on the RS is more than my 60 yr old back prefers for more than a few hours. My hips cramp too.
That 16 valve motor is SO sweet compared to the 8, though, so I keep riding it.
Bought the RS as a summer bike, but found the RS fairing is too efficient at blocking wind, so gotts the Standard for summer and the RS is for the shoulder seasons.
  • Birmingham, Alabama
  • 1985 K100, 1991 K100RS
Also:
2005 K1200LT
1979 R65
200,000 miles on BMW motorcycles

Offline Martin

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2020, 05:00:49 PM »
Changing bars and bar angles, adding bar lifts and bar backs give you multiple options. Over the years my bars have been rotated up and lifted seeking comfort. Seats are the same there are heaps of choices most owners will let you at least sit on their seats. There are options of having your seat re-padded and reshaped by a good upholsterer who is familiar with motorcycle seats.
Regards Martin.
  • North Lakes Queensland Australia
  • 1992 K75s Hybrid, Lefaux, Vespa V twin.

Offline alabrew

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2020, 05:39:32 PM »
Martin, it had bar backs on it when I got it butts I am more accustomed to the upright RT/LT position, I've been riding one since 1990.
  • Birmingham, Alabama
  • 1985 K100, 1991 K100RS
Also:
2005 K1200LT
1979 R65
200,000 miles on BMW motorcycles

Offline Che75

• Curious
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2020, 03:06:08 PM »
Alabrew,

Thanks for your input.  I have decided on a lower mileage RT that I plan to pick up Friday.  I will update when I have it. I have removed all of the fairings from my current bike (as I mostly needed to do anyway, as it has a mysterious fuel system issue) and will be making it naked following guidance of a number of threads on this forum. I very much look forward to having both. Thanks everyone.
  • Akron, Ohio
  • 1991 K75RT

Tags: