Author Topic: Oil Filters for Motobricks  (Read 31578 times)

Offline Skeezer

• Motobrick Curious
  • Flyin- Dutchman
Re: Oil Filters for Motobricks
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2012, 11:09:55 PM »
 :bmwsmile So I went to My local Automotive Parts store who have served me well for many years. I Gave them the Delco Part number mention in this post. They Crossed it over to another brand "Defence" .. $4.87 Cdn and I went on my way. It fit and so I thought all was good. I went on a couple short  rides around town, everything looked good. Then I tool the K out for a Good rip, 150 km of  Hwy riding. When I was pulling into the Garage the oil light was flickering and wouldn't go out when reved up. I thought OH CRAP. But the after shutting off the bike and then restarting it the light was out.
So the Filter was removed and I cut it apart fearing some of the paper filter had blown out. The filer looked in good condition, nothing out of place. But I was still nervous, So back to the Auto Parts Store. this time I didn't get the Kid behind the counter I talked to a person I knew and told them my story. They suggested I try a Wix filter and showed me a cut away of the WIX and 3 other known brands. The WIX  looked like it used better components and the WIX book actually listed a Filter for my Bike. The cost is about the same as the BMW filter so for now I'll run the WIX. I will post after I have installed and run the Bike with the WIX . :hmm:
1993 K1100LT
My lifes more than half over, quit wastin my time!

Offline DRxBMW

• ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2012, 07:29:24 AM »
:bmwsmile
So the Filter was removed and I cut it apart fearing some of the paper filter had blown out. The filer looked in good condition, nothing out of place. But I was still nervous, So back to the Auto Parts Store. this time I didn't get the Kid behind the counter I talked to a person I knew and told them my story.

They suggested I try a Wix filter and showed me a cut away of the WIX and 3 other known brands. The WIX  looked like it used better components and the WIX book actually listed a Filter for my Bike. The cost is about the same as the BMW filter so for now I'll run the WIX. I will post after I have installed and run the Bike with the WIX . :hmm:

dunno, I've ran the Delco PF 53 blue filter for years with absolutely ZERO issues. Possible the Defance cross was a fluke,shit happens.

Fast Edde swears by Toyota filters. Cheap, readily available.  Napa "Gold series" is another.

Website link below has tons of good info on filters. The cutaway pics are very interesting. Ha,Fram seems to be the worst offender.

http://parts.olathetoyota.com/tacoma-oil-filter-comparison.html

Gary
Williamsport,Pa

1994 K 75 ABS "custom"
2005 F 650 GS

Offline Skeezer

• Motobrick Curious
  • Flyin- Dutchman
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2012, 09:47:04 PM »
Part store confirmed they gave me the wrong filter. the size and thread were  a fluke. lucky no damage was done. The WIX filter is on for now . I have a good sourse for a replacement filter now.
1993 K1100LT

Offline DRxBMW

• ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2012, 07:46:18 AM »
Part store confirmed they gave me the wrong filter. the size and thread were  a fluke. lucky no damage was done. The WIX filter is on for now . I have a good source for a replacement filter now.

bummer, at least the engine suffered NO damage.

Curiosity ? Why did you NOT pick up on the wrong threading from the get go ?  One should always hand thread a new filter,if it does NOT start correctly something is amiss.
Gary
Williamsport,Pa

1994 K 75 ABS "custom"
2005 F 650 GS

Offline Skeezer

• Motobrick Curious
  • Flyin- Dutchman
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2012, 11:47:08 PM »
Sorry, What I ment was . " it was Fluke the Thread and the size of the filter worked" but the internals of the Filter are different.
1993 K1100LT

Tags: