Author Topic: MDAY15 -K75 Strut rebuild parts- Enduralast at EME v OEMv SEALMATE  (Read 150 times)

Offline Rcgreaves

• ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
  • "I'd rather be flying, but this will do nicely"
Laitch abridged version:

A quick MB search didn't yield any definitive gripes with Enduralast fork seals, so:  Should I use OEM only or shall I save significant coin on aftermarket seals?  Ok, full disclosure- money is tight, I ordered the aftermarket seals today...

Fork Seal and Dust Cap Kit - BMW K75, K100 ; 31 42 1 451 829, 31 42 1 451 478, 31 42 1 450 127 / EnDuraLast   1   $33.99  shipping was $14 so $49 shipped.  I believe with free shipping and 15% off a part Max was $105. That Germany rubber is special after all....

You wish stuff like this would show up in February during an ice storm, but I grant it is a stretch to imagine a fork seal failing in the garage as I make "pffffting beemer sounds" on the center stand, right?

I did a 500 mile "yee haa", a couple of weeks back from the WI Door Peninsula home, and at dismount in my garage, my right strut slider was coated not only in evergreen pollen but fork oil goo too and bleeding fast....  fork oil goo too, amazing what comes out with a strong cup of coffee and good night's sleep.

So: via Max, the resto parts including the "Johnny says I must bushings" eh eh, that's me coughing up my billfold, $165 shipped.  that's for the rubber bits 2,4,6 If memory serves..

Euromotoelectrics.com offers a seal "kit" of seals and dust caps for roughly half the OEM .

So I'll snag the Max 15% off for the bushing order and  ask:

"Am I ok with Enduralast Aftermarket seals and dust cap?"  Will they last?"

Heres the bushing info.

BILLING INFO:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Name: R Greaves      ZIP: 53554-9510
Card: VISA  XXXX XXXX XXXX 5709

Part#           |Description                             |  Each      |  Total
-------------------|----------------------------------------|------------|---------------------
  2/31422312705    |GUIDE BUSH (from 08/91)                 |      $21.54|      $43.08
  1/36131181082    |PLAQUE WITH ADHESIVE FILM               |       $6.77|       $6.77
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                                                SubTotal:       $49.85
                                                                Shipping:        $0.00  (Free Shipping-$0.00)
                                                                 Coupons: MDAY15
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                                                   TOTAL:       $49.85

Dig that cool curvy Rondel (plaque) for my new Shoei!  Get yours from the helmet section of MAX.com

From my study, these appear to be the cause of some early failures of replacement seals from any source.  Makes sense that the seal would wear prematurely if the slider slips around under load, distorting the seal area, introducing grit, etc...

Gaiters, not my speed:

BTW I'm a convert to the Traxxion.com  "non gaiterator, flip off griterators," what are these protectors called that grip the slider and place a plastic....guard in front of the dust cap area?  My VFR showed up with what looks like an oem install.  Gaiters make sense for extending the life of seals if removed and rinsed out periodically.  but this  Traxxion gadget that deflects grit away and enabling a periodic rinse of the dust cap area makes the most sense to me.  In my youth, many were the time that I removed a gaiter to discover a puddle of grit atop my fork seal.  ok I'm rambling now.

Parts total $92 with fork oil.

Thanks in advance for any first-hand experience with Enduralast. 

PS the traxxion.com website sucks.  The part that works on my K11 struts is spec'ed for a GSXR750, I only got it right because Mr. Yee Haa sent a link.  I recommend calling them as it doesn't show up on the site.  Are K1100 struts a different diameter than K75?  I have a set in hand so I'll see if they clamp well to the K75. Pictures to follow later today when I hit the shop for my first ever moto tire change.
  • Livingston, SW WI. USA-"With the good earth all around."
  • Newest Resto: 96 Honda Interceptor VFR750F, Also Restoring: 1995 K1100RS, 1994 K75S ,1985 Goldwing Aspencade
Doing “better than I deserve”

Offline Laitch

• Redline 7000
  • Forum Moderator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
Re: MDAY15 -K75 Strut rebuild parts- Enduralast at EME v OEM
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2020, 11:35:50 AM »
When I had a leaking seal a couple of years ago, I took one of my SealMates and jogged it around the fork tube half a dozen times. That cleaned out particles that had infiltrated; the seal stopped leaking. You could fashion one of those from film negatives.

• Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 79,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.
https://tinyurl.com/RillRider

Offline Rcgreaves

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2020, 11:50:16 AM »
Seal Mates is new to me.  It brings to mind a Wurth brand rubber "renewer" my GoldWing wrench used to spritz the unobtanium Carb slider seals on my OEM Honda carbs.  If memory served 4 "old stock" were about $360...  Anyway,  the rubber seemed to swell literally when bathed in this stuff.  The sliders sealed and I was in "bidnus"!  This is the seal equivalent of a fingernail file tool- who knew!

So the negative would push bits on grit out of the seal area?? makes sense....Does a seal mate fill the gap in the seal?  I'll look it up thanks.

PS:  Im interviewing in Montreal- We could meet!  scary....
  • Newest Resto: 96 Honda Interceptor VFR750F, Also Restoring: 1995 K1100RS, 1994 K75S ,1985 Goldwing Aspencade

Offline Rcgreaves

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2020, 11:51:54 AM »
sealmate.com

Laitch 1+ my friend, duh, that's really neat....had no idea.

Seal Mate - Fix Leaking Fork Seals - 1-Pack / Blue × 1

$6.99

Subtotal

$6.99
Shipping

$0.00
Taxes

$0.00
Total

$6.99 USD

Offline natalena

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2020, 12:11:18 PM »
You could fashion one of those from film negatives.

When we finish unpacking, I've got boxes of 35mm slides that work well too. Perhaps a "give-away" for donations to MB ... and maybe the images will have vintage rides in them. ;)
  • East of Joshua Tree
  • 1987 K75s #0919
On Holy Quest seeking Techron equivalent for splines.

Offline Rcgreaves

Re: MDAY15 -K75 Strut rebuild parts- Enduralast at EME v OEMv SEALMATE
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2020, 12:28:57 PM »
good idea, though slide negatives are saltine sized, while print negatives in strips are shaped like a 6" ruler.

Either way, one hell of a tip. " Laitch the greater"  you have my fealty....

instinct says I could cancel my parts order...nah...but I'll start with the seal mate sweep or maybe I'll steal my wife's nail clean/polish kit.. :nono2:

Offline Martin

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2020, 04:21:08 PM »
I replaced my seals 20 + years ago and haven't had to change them since. Thoroughly clean out the area between the seal and the dust seal. Then pack heavy silicone grease between the two seals. Change out the grease every couple of years or so, more often if riding in extreme dusty conditions.
Regards Martin.
  • North Lakes Queensland Australia
  • 1992 K75s Hybrid, Lefaux, Vespa V twin.

Offline daveson

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2020, 05:41:48 PM »
Hi Martin

Is rubber grease the same thing (Penrite, red) or at least is it suitable? And good for under the brake seals too? I always get this stuff mixed up. How thick do you  put it on?
  • Victoria, Australia
  • Current;'86 K100RT Past; '97 Yamaha V Star 650 Yamaha V Star

Offline Martin

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2020, 07:00:21 PM »
I always use silicone grease easier to see if it's catching crap. Supercheap used to have it at $9.00 a tube Herschell silicone paste. I also pack it in as to fill all voids under rear master cylinder boots and pack it around the front master cylinder piston entrance. Although I am currently running a Chicom rear master cylinder I still have my 28 year old OEM in perfect condition in storage. I've also been known to smear it around plastic electrical connections ( not the pins) to keep out water and air which leads to oxidation.
Regards Martin.
  • North Lakes Queensland Australia
  • 1992 K75s Hybrid, Lefaux, Vespa V twin.

Offline Bon Jon Bovi

• All's well that's going ashore
  • ^ Proficient Motobricker
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2020, 11:17:04 PM »
sealmate.com

sealmate.net maybe, Gouda Bob?
  • Cloudcroft, New Mex
  • '93 K75s-'97 R1100RT-'81 CB750-'76 GL000 LTD-'74 GT80
62 years. Don't they go by in a blink...

Tags: