Author Topic: K75RT ADDING GAUGES TO INNER FAIRING PANELS  (Read 1618 times)

Offline K75RT Keith

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
K75RT ADDING GAUGES TO INNER FAIRING PANELS
« on: May 04, 2020, 05:23:39 PM »
I upgraded my 1990 K75RT with an adjustable windshield and want to add back the Fuel and Temp gauges.  Was thinking of drilling holes in the panels below the storage boxes and mounting the gauges on each side.  I'm sure someone here has done this and I could use their advise on how to do this properly. 
You can't help someone who doesn't want to hear the answer.

1990 K75RT

Offline Al

• ^ Motobrick Curious
Re: K75RT ADDING GAUGES TO INNER FAIRING PANELS
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2020, 09:50:29 PM »
I looked at doing something similar. My inner dash panel was replace with a thick rubber mat by the PO. I wanted something nicer so I began to fab one out of aluminum. Wanted to put 2 or 3 gauges in a "tower" on each side just behind the fairing pockets. Like most of my projects it never got finished and my lovely dash sits on the bench.

One of my pocket covers flew off and was run over several times before I could recover it. I wanted to hammer form a replacement since the plastic ones are mostly shot and kinda brittle. Never even started that one. The pockets were heat embrittled so they wer going to be fabbed out of Al-loo-minium too. My pockets were cracked and full of holes so I went to a hobby shop and bought a sheet of.030" ABS sheet plastic and glued it on the underside with ABS plumbers cement. Wrapped it with rubber bands and cam lock straps. Turned out Ok. Ally would definitely be nicer. My plan was to spray the top sides with a light coat of shake can bed liner to more or less match the factory black wrinkle finish.
  • Manitoba
  • K75RT
Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2020, 09:58:32 PM »
I'm sure someone here has done this and I could use their advise on how to do this properly.
This posts and links in this thread might give you some encouragement. An additional search might turn up more info but basically it just takes a hole saw and resolve.  :laughing4-giggles:
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.
https://tinyurl.com/RillRider

Offline volador

• ^ Quintessential Motobricker
  • NEEDS MORE CHROME
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2020, 06:03:00 PM »
would be concerned to mount in as flat a surface as possible

other concern would be the distance of gauges in relation to gauge harness if using the OE 61121459488 or if making your own harness shouldn't be an issue
  • NYC NY
  • 1991 K100RS 1993 K75S ABS
5 BOROUGHS SISYPHEAN SOCIETY  MAINTAINING THE OBSESSION

Tags: