Author Topic: The Dissenters Paradise. A Positive or Negative Force on this Forum ?  (Read 4534 times)

Offline blackie1

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
  • christchurch nz
i was going to PM these comments to another member but then thought it should be made public. this is the dissenters paradise after all.

i do not see any value to having a "dissenters paradise", which seems to be set up solely for the same handful of people to spray their shallow vitriol  and their narrow views at the rest of us.
these people also appear to be the same few with the ability to ban others.

so if you never hear of me again .........

and on a motorbike forum!!! come on

it has deteriorated into the male equivalent of "the real houswives of hicksville america"

one could argue that if you don't like it then don't read it. but as you can see this is a catch 22

i was not going to post this on the public thread but  was instead going to send to another member in a private message rather than adding further oxygen to fuel their fire.

some will, i am certain, claim their protection for free speech and their right to do so. Then so must I.

i have been a member of this forum for 7 x years now and have witnessed its steady decline to the state it is in at present.
It is far easier to find a new post concerning a political issue than it is to find a post that  actually relates to a motorcycle mechanical or electrical issue. 

i, like many, donated funds to keep this forum afloat when the call went out. and i ask myself if i would do so again. probably not in its current state.

i personally think that the "dissenters paradise" brings nothing of value to this forum at all.

what do the other members think......
  • christchurch, new zealand , where else would u want to live, really
  • 1991 K75RT naked 67,000kms

Offline johnny

• TrailBrakingThrottleWhacker
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
  • Whacking...n...Chopping Sliding...n...High Siding
Re: the dissenters paradise. a positive or negative force on this forum?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2020, 06:27:57 PM »
greetings...

look bra... i am the ancient maori prophet... i am compelled to give you the chance while you still gotts the choice... mezcal wurms trump ammo rush limbaugh... perfect... just like the zelensky call... better getts you some...

now to the matter at hand...

it is my understanding it requires 50+ poasts to see the dissenters paradise... how many members have 50+ poasts... 311 out of 6703.

it is my understanding that members with 50+ poasts can ignore the dissenters paradise... how many members have ignored the dissenters paradise... 1 out of 311...

those kooks who ignore the dissenters paradise will not see the dissenters paradise... 

you have freedom hear... you have liberty hear... you have the pursuit of happiness hear... the dissenters paradise was designed that way in the 1st place...

poasts 0 to 49 its invisible... at 50+ poasts you make the decision to see it or not... for the reasons mentioned by blackie1 and chaos...

thank you blackie1 for you financial support of this forum... now im gonna make fun of filmcamera... yeeeehaaaaaa...

j o
  • :johnny i parks my 96 eleven hundert rs motobrick in dodge county cheezconsin  :johnny
Agree Agree x 1 View List

Offline Chaos

• Administrator
  • Mars needs women!
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2020, 06:32:49 PM »
Over on the Ural forum they had a similar section, open to politics, and the comments got so vitreous  they finally dropped it and banned politics, much to the improvement of the forum.  Turns out some folks were only there to spout off and cared nothing for bikes.  I found I lost respect for many member after seeing their stupid memes and copy & pastes from dubious sources.  Plenty of other places on the web for that crap. 
  • sw ohio
1987 K75S    VIN 0231
Original owner, Original litter
200,000 miles (plus or minus) and 5 paint jobs
sold 6/23
2023 Ural 2WD sidecar (BMW's bastard step child)
Agree Agree x 1 View List

Offline The Mighty Gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2020, 07:23:36 PM »
First of all, let me sincerely apologize for expressing opinions that don't agree with those held by some members of the forum and thereby offending them. 

Second I agree to keep these offensive opinions and comments to myself from here forward.  This not only applies to politics but also to tiors, oil, and the problems some members may be having with their motos.

That is all.
  • In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:
'91 K100RS16V "Moby Brick Too"

Past:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'92 K100RS16V "Moby Brick" (RIP, deceased in a vehicular assault)
'94 K75S Special Edition Dakar Yellow "Cheetos"
'89 K100RS Special Edition "Special Ed"

Offline volador

• NEEDS MORE CHROME
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2020, 07:30:02 PM »
Second I agree to keep these offensive opinions and comments to myself from here forward.  This not only applies to politics but also to tiors, oil, and the problems some members may be having with their motos.

Anyone wanna lay odds on how long that will last?
  • NYC NY
  • 1991 K100RS 1993 K75S ABS
5 BOROUGHS SISYPHEAN SOCIETY  MAINTAINING THE OBSESSION
Agree Agree x 3 View List

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2020, 07:42:12 PM »
Hell of a lot longer than you think.
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:

Past:

Offline Filmcamera

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2020, 08:45:30 PM »
Hell of a lot longer than you think.

I hope not, it would be a huge shame if we lost your insights into bricks.

I may not (do not) agree with a lot of what is posted in the dissenter's paradise but in the end everyone has the right to think what they want, I do not take offense at the things that are posted.

I actually find it interesting and insightful some of the time, as a non American Trump seems unfathomable a lot of the time and so hearing from actual Trump supporters on this forum is enlightening.
  • San Jose, Costa Rica
  • 1991 K100RS 16v ABS1, 2018 Triumph Street Triple RS 765
Poserbricker

Offline K1300S

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2020, 09:39:49 PM »
been a member of a bunch of car forums since, well, since there were car forums.  the OT area is a challenge everywhere.  nearly all of them have become avenues for political debate where no minds are changed.  just escalating spewage from all sides.  it has gotten exponentially worse in the last three years.  bimmerforums.com OT area is really out of control.  have seen several of the forums end up just banning anything not vehicle related. 

one forum had a decent idea.  the OT area required a separate registration and login.  you could not see it if you didn't register.  another forum changed the defaults on the "new posts" button at top of page so that the OT area was not included in the filter.

it is a bit disturbing sometimes seeing all the helpful, friendly rapport on the vehicle side of a forum, then see the "other" side of posters in the OT area.
Project Thread "K75s Midlife Refresh"
http://www.motobrick.com/index.php/topic,7810.0.html
Agree Agree x 2 View List

Offline volador

• NEEDS MORE CHROME
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2020, 10:06:57 PM »
I come here to take a break from whatever is currently going on in life. I enjoy laughing, learning and contributing if possible.

The individualism of the members wit, wisdom, sarcasm, or whatever they state in a civil manner generates the character of this site.

We're from all walks of life and beliefs, all parts of the globe, some with noses turned up higher than others, some with the ability to express wit and wisdom in a
whimsical manner, some keep it short and sweet, the views expressed are your own, it makes us all unique.

If you don't agree or condone what you are reading you are free to express your opinion or look elsewhere.

This whole pandemic crisis has been tough on everybody a lot of lives have been changed, a lot of lives have been lost and a lot of lives have been put to the test.

This to will pass and we learn from this experience. We will hopefully get back to work soon and a normal state of affairs.
  • NYC NY
  • 1991 K100RS 1993 K75S ABS
5 BOROUGHS SISYPHEAN SOCIETY  MAINTAINING THE OBSESSION

Offline caveman

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2020, 06:08:27 AM »
No two people will agree on everything; But we all like K bikes.
Just sayin!
  • Kennerdell, PA.
  • 87 K100RT, 88 K100LT

Offline herseyb

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2020, 08:34:43 AM »
There may be some kooks whose jobs have unfortunately exposed them to too much talk radio on this site, but everyone I have interacted with has been incredibly generous and very fun.  In a (US) political environment where there is an increasing amount of representation of alternate viewpoints as "dirty others" having one less place for interaction among people that have a common care and interest would be a loss.  Of course ya gotta apply some sense to what you read, as always, but if you cant also hear where people are coming from you probably more exposure to alternate view points, not less.  Even just to understand your fellow humans.

• Brooklyn
  • '93 K1100RS

Offline Past-my-Prime

• All of us are better when we're loved.
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2020, 02:48:12 PM »
People are writing what they're thinking. Many of us think differently than others. All too often we hear, read, see, and think in a bubble. If we are able to log on here, and see different viewpoints than what we are usually seeing in our increasingly dichotomous world, and remember that even people who have different views are actually not evil, just perceive things differently, it is positive.

Maybe worth remembering that we are discussing ideas here, and refrain from attacking individuals.
  • North Shore of Lake Superior (in my garage)
  • BRICK: 1989 K75 RT - Rocinante; NON-BRICK: 2007 F650 GS Dakar - Betty Blue

Offline BrickDad

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2020, 03:37:17 PM »
I come here to learn more about my K75 motorcycle, and I have found this forum one of the best for that purpose.  I occasionally stumble across and peek at the contents of Dissenter's Paradise, and  find the comments mostly inane, ad hominem attacks without substance. 

Just like we all have a right to yell with outrage at the TV, in our living room the Dissenters have a right to post ad hominem statements... and we in turn, who come here for deep and valuable BMW K bike knowledge and for no other reason, have the absolute right to treat the Dissenters like we treat the neighbor on the block who can be heard in the evenings through his open living room windows, yelling at his TV...  with a social separation of 200+ feet.
  • Arlington County, Virginia
  • 1995 K75T + Paralever, 1991 K100RS 4-valver + 1990 Flexit sidecar

Offline ^Adrninistrator

• Acute Cinnabar Toxicity
  • ^ Motobrick Curious
  • Brunhilda Baywerische-Motosenwerken
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2020, 08:21:10 PM »
I am of the belief that all values are baseless and that nothing can be known or communicated.

I am of the belief that it is extreme pessimism and radical skepticism that condemns existence.

Other that that, I believe in nothing, have no loyalties and no purpose other than perhaps an impulse to destroy.

I ordered johnny to create the dissenters paradise.

If you don't like it, ignore it.
  • New Idria California
  • 1997 K 1150 RS SE Dakar Yellow Code 267
If You Are Looking For Trouble. I'm The Woman To See.
If You Are Looking For Satisfaction.  Email Me.  Satisfaction Guaranteed.
brunhilda.baywerische-motosenwerken@motobrick.com

Offline blackie1

• christchurch nz
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2020, 09:23:52 PM »

if you don't like it ignore it?
fair enough

this is by your own design "the dissenters paradise" or is that only if the dissent aligns with your own views  mr/mrs administrator

• christchurch, new zealand , where else would u want to live, really
  • 1991 K75RT naked 67,000kms

Offline daveson

« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2020, 06:30:08 AM »
Your assuming only one view is considered legit,  and the administrator is male,  best not to assume and remember the description of the title; this is the place to blow it out your ass,  so I won't assume this is the PC space.

Hmm,  I see you added /mrs
  • Victoria, Australia
  • Current;'85 K100RT~100,000km; four other bricks. Past; 1500 Vulcan, V Star 650, KLX 250(dirt bike) TT250(dirt bike)

Offline Past-my-Prime

« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2020, 09:14:19 AM »
Fuck man there are all too many places where you can go and have your precious opinions confirmed and validated.

"Trump is a maligned genius who is going to make America great again." Check.

"People who live in the flyover countryside are unsophisticated hicks." Check

People in the cities are liberal elites only in it for their own best interest." Check

"Brexit is going to save us all from the terrible continental Europeans." Check

"Global Warming is a hoax." Check

"The Chinese Virus is less lethal than the annual inlfluenza." Check

It's worthwhile venturing outside ones own comfort zone and seeing that people that share at least one genuine interest can differ substantially in another area.

I certainly don't come here to try to convince anybody of anything. THAT is impossible. What is possible is I may be able to inform myself a bit more about divergent and dissenting opinions, in a "safe space".

YMMV

Offline johnny

« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2020, 09:40:06 AM »
greetings...

canadicans... wake up... ha ha ha...

whats the last time canadica had the stanley cup on its soil...

thats write... 1993 montreal canadicans... 27 years ago...

wanna talk curling now... or wanna getts back to counting corn in moose poo... that is possible...

lastly... good easter to all moes... even those new zealicans...

j o
  • :johnny i parks my 96 eleven hundert rs motobrick in dodge county cheezconsin  :johnny

Offline Past-my-Prime

« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2020, 10:13:11 AM »
greetings...

wanna talk curling now... or wanna getts back to counting corn in moose poo... that is possible...

j o

Haha well it's not gonna happen this year either!

Offline jakgieger

• itinerant farmer
  • ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2020, 01:00:13 PM »
This has been an extremely enjoyable read on Easter morning.  I have been avoiding the forum for the last couple of weeks as the farming season ramps up and is an "essential" service.  I personally enjoy the dissenters paradise and the contrast displayed there.  I think it is best for people to avoid ad hominem attacks...debate 101.  Suffice it to say, people usually find what they are looking for.  JO's point is valid--avoid it if you desire.  This site does remain a treasure trove of actual facts and experiences, thus I will continue to visit as necessary!
  • Kansas USA
  • 1989 K100rs se
"What we've got here is failure, to communicate.  Some men, you just cain't reach.  So you get what we had here last week.  Which is the way he wants it...Well, he gets it.  I don't like it any more than you men do."

Offline stokester

• ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2020, 05:36:59 PM »

it has deteriorated into the male equivalent of "the real houswives of hicksville america"

one could argue that if you don't like it then don't read it. but as you can see this is a catch 22

"the real housewives of hicksville america" - an unnecessary pejorative in a forum you claim is unneeded  :johnny

Don't like, then don't read a catch 22?  - in my browser I have to take an action to read this forum, no catch-22 here and it is obvious to me what this section is about.

Free speech in the US means the government cannot stop you from voicing your opinion, a private forum such as this may be limited by those who control it and we are free to leave if it is too restrictive.

I'm here for the connection with other K-brick riders and wrenchers.  Ride on.
  • Yorktown Virginia
  • '94 K75S Dakar Yellow - '93 K75S Seiden Blau - '91 R100RT Bermuda Blue- '78 R100S Smoke Red

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2020, 06:05:05 PM »
greetings...

j o

Geez, when was the last time there were more Canadikans than Finlanders in the NHL?  Getting so woke up there they can't handle a hip check anymore.  It's like the whole league is copping on the Sabres no-checking style.  Where's Don Cherry??? 

Yeah, where the heck is my curling???  Missing that fever pitch stimulation.
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:

Past:

Offline johnny

Re: The Dissenters Paradise. A Positive or Negative Force on this Forum ?
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2020, 08:54:43 AM »
when given finlanders... make finlandia waddka and lutefisk smoothies...

* TheDissentersParadise50PlusPoasts.jpg (13.58 kB . 768x135 - viewed 517 times)

Offline teuski

• Curious
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2020, 04:50:17 AM »
when given finlanders... make finlandia waddka and lutefisk smoothies...

* TheDissentersParadise50PlusPoasts.jpg (13.58 kB . 768x135 - viewed 517 times)
So i can't see the paradise any more since yesterday because there was some glitch that made me see it even if i don't have 50+ posts?
Good to know, i already thought i was kicked out because of my comment  :laughing4-giggles:
  • Finland
  • K100 '84

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2020, 10:07:23 PM »
Regarding Finland,
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.
https://tinyurl.com/RillRider

Tags: