Author Topic: Returning member  (Read 323 times)

Offline milq

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
Returning member
« on: April 03, 2020, 02:10:21 AM »
Here I am again...looking for a K bike, sure do miss having one around. Stumbled onto an uber-low mileage (14,000) 1985 K100RS, still waiting for the shop to open back up to talk more. Had a very brief conversation about it with a guy who had no real knowledge except that it belonged to an employee and the mileage is correct. (He was stopping by to do some random task when I called but the shop is closed up until this crap clears)

I know, low mileage = sitting and dried up seals, etc. but its about the cleanest specimen I've seen, based on pics.

From pictures, it appears that the RS has a bit more knee room than the RT, is this correct?

Anybody know anything about these bags? I haven't seen this type before but they look like a nice commuter size. 
  • Southern IL
  • 1988 K75S

Offline Martin

• ^ Quintessential Motobricker
Re: Returning member
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2020, 02:30:29 AM »
 :welcome The cases are called City Cases and were fitted to Police bikes. Not sure about knee room difference?
Regards Martin.
  • North Lakes Queensland Australia
  • 1992 K75s Hybrid, Lefaux, Vespa V twin.

Offline volador

• ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
  • NEEDS MORE CHROME
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2020, 03:37:22 AM »
Welcome!

the RS is like flying first class and the RT is like cattle class the muthafu---r  just crushed your knee caps. Good luck
  • NYC NY
  • 1991 K100RS 1993 K75S ABS
5 BOROUGHS SISYPHEAN SOCIETY  MAINTAINING THE OBSESSION

Offline Skunky

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2020, 06:03:24 AM »
:welcome The cases are called City Cases and were fitted to Police bikes. Not sure about knee room difference?
Regards Martin.

That's useful info Martin. I have an ex Police bike and a full set of City cases, I presumed they were aftermarket.  icon_cheers :threadjacked
  • Derby GB
  • BMW K100lt
Rebuild it and they will come..
90 K100lt
Triumph Thruxton 900
Honda CB400F

Offline Martin

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2020, 06:54:44 AM »
No they were an option, but in OZ the city cases were painted white for Police bikes. Due to the fact that police bikes were solo seated they had a bigger storage capacity in the Police tail unit. They therefore didn't require the storage capacity of the full size tragkorbs, this made the bike narrower and better suited for wending their way through traffic.
Regards Martin.
  • North Lakes Queensland Australia
  • 1992 K75s Hybrid, Lefaux, Vespa V twin.

Offline Skunky

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2020, 07:53:33 AM »
No they were an option, but in OZ the city cases were painted white for Police bikes. Due to the fact that police bikes were solo seated they had a bigger storage capacity in the Police tail unit. They therefore didn't require the storage capacity of the full size tragkorbs, this made the bike narrower and better suited for wending their way through traffic.
Regards Martin.

Iím guessing these are not city cases as a) There huge and 2) The bike wasnít a single seater.

• Derby GB
  • BMW K100lt
90 K100lt
Triumph Thruxton 900
Honda CB400F

Offline volador

• NEEDS MORE CHROME
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2020, 09:33:59 AM »
Iím guessing these are not city cases as a) There huge and 2) The bike wasnít a single seater.

Looks like Givi side case and top case. The mounting rack on the tail section/cowling is Givi E180 or E181 difference is metal or plastic mounting base plate for the Monokey type mounting configuration.

Givi makes Monokey (better) and Monolock (economical) versions of the mounting base plate and corresponding cases

I'm going to guess your side case are probably like 35 litre with older style locking mechanism
  • NYC NY

Offline Skunky

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2020, 10:23:10 AM »
Welcome Back Milq  :welcome
  • Derby GB
  • BMW K100lt
90 K100lt
Triumph Thruxton 900
Honda CB400F

Offline milq

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2020, 04:02:10 PM »
Thanks for the welcome (back) and info all, trying to keep track of when the shop goes back to work. It's 350 miles away so once everything clears I may take a ride there on my R1200RT and give it a once over. The condition of the windows on the gauges and other pics tell me it has been stored somewhere out of the weather at least.

The city cases look like a size that may allow it to fit in the shed!

Also need to move an airhead to a new home if anyone knows of someone looking for one.
  • Southern IL
  • 1988 K75S

Offline K1300S

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2020, 08:25:06 PM »
City cases rock.  Narrow profile, have a "pocket" inside so your stuff doesn't fall out when they are opened.  Perfect size for day trips.
Project Thread "K75s Midlife Refresh"
http://www.motobrick.com/index.php/topic,7810.0.html

Offline milq

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2020, 04:31:33 PM »
The bike mentioned previously was sold, even though they weren't allowed to do any sales due to Covid.

Anyway, stumbled onto this bike via another fella who had just sold his 20 minutes before I called about it.
It's a one-owner with 31k miles, I have the original sales contract, a pile of receipts for parts and service, Corbin seat with extra hinges, 2 tank bags, a tank-bra thing, a cover, new bag liners, Haynes manual, owners manual, 2 spare wind screens, and a variety of small parts including an extra non-folding key, 3 BMW CO2 tire repair kits and a few other items I'm forgetting at the moment. New tires and battery, fuel filter and lines, all fluids replaced, etc. After spline condition was verified we completed negotiations over the phone last week and I picked it up yesterday after he met me halfway.

It has a few paint marks, mostly from the Corbin seat rubbing and typical paint chips on the belly pan but it's in better shape than most I've seen in the process of looking for another K. Pic below was taken the day after he completed the cleanup, not my garage, of course it was raining a bit yesterday so it doesn't look quite as shiny now.

Is the single seat the same thickness/height as the 2-up? Love the looks but it seems a bit thin (foam may be broken down), haven't tried out the Corbin yet.

• Southern IL
  • 1988 K75S

Offline volador

• NEEDS MORE CHROME
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2020, 04:44:23 PM »
Very nice find good looking moto with all the accouterments

That OE single rider like the Corbin Gunfighter. Looks like needs a AirHawk cushion if you lacking in the buttocks cushion
  • NYC NY

Online herseyb

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2020, 06:56:37 PM »
Beautiful! 

Tell me about that airhead...

don't tell my girlfriend...
  • Brooklyn
  • '93 K1100RS

Offline edgeoftheworld

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2020, 10:39:54 AM »
That is a really nice looking bike.  I like the look of the Corbin Gunfighter seat.
  • CT
  • 1992 K75S
1987 RMW R65 | 1992 BMW K75S | 2009 BMW R1200GS

Tags: