Author Topic: K75s broken retaining clip  (Read 1719 times)

Offline lesbrab

• Curious
K75s broken retaining clip
« on: March 24, 2020, 01:58:18 PM »
1991 k75S
The battery cover (Left side fairing) retaining spring clip died of old age. I have searched everywhere for a part number or replacement. The clip is easily removed but not repairable. Suggestions short of buying the panel. :)

Les Brabetz
Windsor CA
New rider old bike
  • Garage
  • 1991 k75s

Offline johnny

• TrailBrakingThrottleWhacker
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
  • Whacking...n...Chopping Sliding...n...High Siding
Re: K75s broken retaining clip
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2020, 02:16:14 PM »
greetings...

lotts of options... some photos of this matter first... poast them here... then we show you the way...

j o
  • :johnny i parks my 96 eleven hundert rs motobrick in dodge county cheezconsin  :johnny

Offline lesbrab

• Curious
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2020, 02:19:02 PM »
Photo tomorrow. Makes sense.
  • Garage
  • 1991 k75s

Offline The Mighty Gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2020, 02:28:27 PM »
An afternoon of screwing around with a chunk of steel banding(like they use for securing stuff to pallets) should get you something that works.  You will need to heat it with a torch to make some of the bends. 

I would also use the opportunity make some sort of a lanyard to secure the cover to the bike.  These covers are know to make successful escapes from captivity.
  • In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:
'91 K100RS16V "Moby Brick Too"

Past:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'92 K100RS16V "Moby Brick" (RIP, deceased in a vehicular assault)
'94 K75S Special Edition Dakar Yellow "Cheetos"
'89 K100RS Special Edition "Special Ed"

Offline Martin

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2020, 03:24:07 PM »
As per Gryph, however you need to keep the rear tank pin "C" clips fitted if you wish to keep your covers. The covers are held in place by the spring clip and the rear edge of the tank. If the "C" clips are omitted what can happen is on hitting a bump, the rear of the tank jumps, the side cover disengages with the tank and the cover goes AWOL. There are a lot of variables, tightness of the rubbers, size of bump, fuel load and speed. But you've got to ask yourself "Do you feel lucky, well do you"?
Regards Martin.
  • North Lakes Queensland Australia
  • 1992 K75s Hybrid, Lefaux, Vespa V twin.

Offline volador

• NEEDS MORE CHROME
  • NYC NY
  • 1991 K100RS 1993 K75S ABS
5 BOROUGHS SISYPHEAN SOCIETY  MAINTAINING THE OBSESSION

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2020, 11:50:44 AM »
My experience with backordered BMW Brick small parts is that the orders are unlikely to be fulfilled.

Options include buying a used battery cover that has the correct clip—identical clips on either side, a cover seems to be costing >20USD—or purchase a sheet of spring steel in the correct gauge and make the part by heating with a small Mapp gas torch then forming on an anvil or bench vise with a steel bolt or tube of appropriate diameter using appropriate heating and cooling technique.

It might make somebody some fuel money if they get the technique down pat and post some perfected specimens for sale at the world famous MOTOBRICK.COM.
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.
https://tinyurl.com/RillRider

Offline lesbrab

• Curious
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2020, 02:10:01 PM »
Thanks for all the responses. I tried the part number with BMW of San Francisco and they promptly replied that none were available in US, Germany or Beemer Boneyard. Such a small part and only $8 when available. There may be a market for this...

I will search the local motorcycle junkyard as I know they have several K bikes that might have the part. The best solution is the steel band manufacture but that takes several passes, I'm sure. And it is not an essential piece for the bike, just part of the complete package. A lanyard is a great idea. I just happened to be installing it when I broke it.

Thanks again for all the replies. I'm confident when I have a real problem the answer will be found here.
  Les

• Garage
  • 1991 k75s

Offline RobP

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2020, 03:10:20 PM »
Search ebay for 'bmw 46631455071'  (There's one in Lithuania)!!
  • Driftwood, TX
  • 1985 K100RS

Offline lesbrab

• Curious
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2020, 04:49:10 PM »
Thanks. Its a matter of how the part number is put in for the search. This may be the last one in the world. :)

I'm using 2 #10 rubber bands, one connected to the frame and one to the cover. It accomplishes both needs. The cover is in place and has a connecting lanyard. Horrible solution but so easy.
  • Garage
  • 1991 k75s

Offline volador

• NEEDS MORE CHROME
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2020, 06:38:55 PM »
 Try Motobins.co.uk or Motorworks.co.uk or calling Bob's BMW or Capital Cycle stocks vintage parts or Blue Moon Cycle or Hammersley Motors
also
https://re-psycle.com/
  • NYC NY
  • 1991 K100RS 1993 K75S ABS
5 BOROUGHS SISYPHEAN SOCIETY  MAINTAINING THE OBSESSION

Tags: