Author Topic: 1989 K75 reanimation  (Read 31407 times)

Offline koshak

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
Re: 1989 K75 reanimation
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2020, 03:44:52 PM »
level sender cannot be used, it simply does not exist anymore.
wiring is affected as well.
the pump electrically seems to be alive (produces noise well), but is not working as impeller stuck.
soaked in penetrating oil, will see tomorrow if it helps.
all stuff like inlet filter, rubber damper - kaput.

so, looks like i will be the tester of that kit, as it includes everything.

photos to follow.

thanks for link of sender. strangelly seller does not want to ship to my location, will investigate options tomorrow.

Was the transmission side of driveshaft held in place by a circlip? Yes, it was.

Such a strange and confusing construction.—It is understandable with a diagram. Intuitive construction isn't always a commodity built into affordable machinery.
It is understandable even without diagram, but the purpose is not understandable. "Automatically" folding stand, that can lead to the scratched left side one day.  boohoo

• Cyprus
  • 1989 K75, 1989 K1, 2008 K1200GT

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2020, 04:12:18 PM »
level sender cannot be used, it simply does not exist anymore.

It is understandable even without diagram, but the purpose is not understandable. "Automatically" folding stand, that can lead to the scratched left side one day.  boohoo
Your model of fuel sender does exist if yours is the type with a float. If yours is the plastic probe that screws into the tank, then your tank is not from a 1989 moto.

The side stand's automatic folding action can be eliminated. There are posts on the site to help you accomplish that.
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.
https://tinyurl.com/RillRider

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2020, 04:24:40 PM »
Regarding the side stand: it's a safety feature to prevent riding off with the side stand down. There are other options. You don't need to leave it that way. Read this thread.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline volador

• NEEDS MORE CHROME
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2020, 05:01:03 PM »
Soak the fuel pump in some very hot water maybe will loosen up the impeller
  • NYC NY
  • 1991 K100RS 1993 K75S ABS
5 BOROUGHS SISYPHEAN SOCIETY  MAINTAINING THE OBSESSION

Offline The Mighty Gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2020, 07:10:06 PM »
Kashak's bike is a 1989 and the sender I linked is for 1993 and later.  Does anyone know what the difference is?  Are they interchangeable???

The photos at MaxBMW look the same for the two parts, but they have different part numbers.
  • In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:
'91 K100RS16V "Moby Brick Too"

Past:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'92 K100RS16V "Moby Brick" (RIP, deceased in a vehicular assault)
'94 K75S Special Edition Dakar Yellow "Cheetos"
'89 K100RS Special Edition "Special Ed"

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2020, 11:13:29 PM »
When I look in Max's fiche, the part number was the same for K75, K100 2V, K100 4V and K1100. Euro Motoelectric show differing part numbers and applications but the parts looked similar. I think the upshot of all this is that float-type of senders are still being made and can be obtained with enough cash.

koshak should clarify whether his is float-type or probe-type. His moto seems to be a 1989 but his tank could have been a salvaged replacement from an early model.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2020, 12:16:48 AM »
There are two different "petrol gauges" with floats. 

P/N 62 16 1 459 565    PETROL GAUGE (to 01/93)

and,

P/N 62 16 2 305 558    PETROL GAUGE (from 01/93)

The photos at MaxBMW do not show what difference there may be between them.  It seems that in 1993 the wiring harness they connect to changes as well. 

I have both pre and post 1993 bricks, and I never noticed a difference in the senders.  They both work with the same fuel level gauge and instrument clusters, so I don't thing they are electrically different, and the tanks they are used with are the same, so the mount and the arms shouldn't be different.   I would guess that they're interchangeable, but someone more knowledgeable than I should confirm it.
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:

Past:

Offline volador

• NEEDS MORE CHROME
« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2020, 12:34:46 AM »
There are two different "petrol gauges" with floats. 

P/N 62 16 1 459 565    PETROL GAUGE (to 01/93)

and,

P/N 62 16 2 305 558    PETROL GAUGE (from 01/93)

Bravo, the rest of you should visit your optometrist
  • NYC NY

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2020, 12:52:46 AM »
. . . so I don't thing they are electrically different, and the tanks they are used with are the same, so the mount and the arms shouldn't be different.   I would guess that they're interchangeable, but someone more knowledgeable than I should confirm it.
Euro Motoelectric uses the 558 photo for both the 558 and the 565.  I'd buy either if I needed one, preferably the cheaper if its in stock.  :laughing4-giggles: If he wants to spend, koshak will be able to get a gauge for his tank if it has that type of sender.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline koshak

« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2020, 03:00:57 AM »
Gents, there is misunderstanding.

The fuel sender which is installed in my tank- cannot be used, as it does not exist anymore - you will see photos later.
The replacement is obviously available.
Yes, it is of float type.
  • Cyprus

Offline koshak

« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2020, 05:29:42 AM »
splines on gerabox look good

Injectors

cooling hoses connector removed for some cleaning

had battery left after conversion of K1200GT, fits perfectly

inspection under covers.

What i am doing now, is just overall inspection of condition and making list of needed parts.
I had plans to start her on this week for a test ride, but further photos will show that it probably will not be possible.

Then next week i am leaving for business trip to Malaysia for a month. Same time will order some parts for engine overhaul, so hopefully they arrive to my return. And then will plan to strip the engine and will think about cosmetic upgrade.

Had on shelf Chinese master cylinder (corona virus free, as much older). It is not plug n play, fitting holes are not matching, and also rod had to be cut. So made temporary adapter for tests. By the way, not opening brakes calipers, as did not order overhaul kits yet. That will be ordered soon.

And here is the most tasty part.
As i wrote at the beginning, bike came without keys. So i just removed the tank (and it arrived filled with petrol) and put aside. So keys came, and now is time to open tank and drain fuel. But not only fuel was drained, but loose parts.......

The venting hose from filter cracked and broken in parts. Should its second side be connected to that breathing pipe near opening?

Fuel level sensder

Power to the fuel pump goes through the connector of fuel sender. But positive wire rot off. And the bad thing, that remaining piece of terminal does not have continuity to the plug. So to try to start the pump, cut the wires and modified, to have power to the pump.

No power was coming anyway, found fuse of fuel system burned. Replaced. Pump gives some sound, so it was hope for pumping effect.

Removed pump from tank, put a hose to the discharge line, dropped pump into can with petrol drained off the tank earlier, power on... Nice zzzzzz is coming, but no petrol... Holding it in hand - feels torque when starting and stopping.

So decided to look inside of the pump, as anyway it should be thrown away, and replacement will not come soon.

Electric part looks nice, but pump does not rotate.

So removing rotor from the rod (held by retaining ring)

Pump disassembled, but impeller still cannot turn or remove from housing. Even if put in vise. Even with hummer.
Ok, put some penetrating oil on it and left till next evening.

So, for now i already placed order to the pump replacement kit we discussed earlier, and also for used fuel sender from K1100LT as per link above - it was cheaper than the same from Belgium i have found earlier.

Also, some time ago ordered original top box, and it is already arrived, will try to pick it from the post today. But it is without mounting plate. How is this plate looking? Easy to fabricate, or need to search original part?
This is the box:

• Cyprus

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2020, 09:26:51 AM »
Clearly, you know how to make your way through a mechanical labyrinth, koshak.  112350 That's good progress.
  • The venting hose from filter cracked and broken in parts. Should its second side be connected to that breathing pipe near opening?—Yes. Submersible, fuel-resistant hose suitable for venting is all that's needed.
  • . . .some time ago ordered original top box but it is without mounting plate. How is this plate looking? Easy to fabricate, or need to search original part?—You need to search for both the plate and the mounting pin shown in the photo that attaches the box to the plate although you seem resourceful enough to fabricate a substitute. I haven't read of anyone doing that with the 22 L top case.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline billday

« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2020, 09:29:44 AM »
Clearly, you know how to make your way through a mechanical labyrinth, koshak.

Check out the Honda thread link in his signature.
  • New York State, USA 10977
  • 1985 K100

Offline Martin

« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2020, 02:02:56 PM »
A future project at the Trades Guild for me was to look at making the retaining plates and pins. It is doable but whether there is enough of a call for them and how much time and effort is needed. Too many projects at the moment, however I'll have a talk to my engineering mate and see if it's viable.
Regards Martin.
  • North Lakes Queensland Australia
  • 1992 K75s Hybrid, Lefaux, Vespa V twin.

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2020, 05:50:17 PM »
The kit for mounting the iconic 22 liter case is actually only $85 which is less than the plate alone.

P/N  46 54 2 316 755  Set, mounting parts

By BMW standards, the price is a real deal.
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:

Past:

Offline tjg79

• Curious
  • 1985 BMW K100RS
« Reply #40 on: February 26, 2020, 05:31:23 PM »
You should build a vapor blaster to clean up the parts.

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: February 26, 2020, 07:32:10 PM »
You should build a vapor blaster to clean up the parts.
Is that so he can answer your question about how well it works, tjg?  :laughing4-giggles:
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline koshak

« Reply #42 on: February 28, 2020, 08:23:50 AM »
overhauled fuel pump. now it is not only turning easily, but also pumps the fuel.  :laughing4-giggles: Tested in bucket filled with that antique drained fuel.
But just received call from FedEx, and am going to pickup that replacement aftermarket pump  44271
so no chance old pump to be tested in tank (which was actually planned for tonight), it will remain as emergency kit.

Have the question. I am in search of driveshaft. New one seems to be available, but costly. Will go for it, if not find alternative.
Here is the photo of one used, from ebay. What can you say about splines? look much better than mine, but shows overheating signs (? how it can be just in one section, not at whole?) at about 5 o'clock, and some wear already started.

• Cyprus

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: February 28, 2020, 12:08:10 PM »
If we number the topmost spline as 20 and the one to the right of it as 1, continue numbering clockwise then take a photo of splines 6, 7, 8, and 9 with increased lighting. As it looks now, I'd be happy to use it in my moto, or sell it to somebody.  :laughing4-giggles:
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline koshak

« Reply #44 on: March 01, 2020, 03:25:21 PM »
take a photo of splines 6, 7, 8, and 9 with increased lighting

Cannot, it is available photo from ebay.
Pump disassembled, but impeller still cannot turn or remove from housing. Even if put in vise. Even with hummer.
Well, that because that rod is not a shaft, but just a rod pressed into lower "flange". So, soaking in penetrating oil over the night helped, next day it was possible firts to turn, then to disassemble.

parts cleaned and polished, to allow rotor to rotate in the pump housing.

Test run in the bucket of petrol. nice fountain. by the way, if to assemble pump covers turning for 90 degrees from original, pump will make pumping effect... do not ask how i know that...

Out of curiosity disassembled rear master cylinder... Strange that braking liquid became that solid here, but same time in front brakes remained liquid, and brakes are working... well, more or less working...
obviously, all calipers will be overhauled when receive seals.
by the way, rear brake, even with the installation of the alternative master cylinder, did not come back to life.

And the new pump arrived, surprisingly fast. So, will not install old pump into the tank, will keep it as an emergency kit.

Ordered complete kit, but it is strange that in the bag with rubber sleeve they did not include nuts, but electric terminals, same as with pump itself.

Aftermarket pump looks exactly as original.

Before installation, decided to make a pumping test, just to compare it with the old one... Hmm, did i say old one will be used as emergency? Now not sure, that requires checking fuel pressure on the bike.

This what happens when anti-seize compounds are not used. Studs for exhaust manifold were turned out, instead of nuts. One stud broke. And only one nut came off as should be.

So, pump in, bike assembled back, test start and test ride.

20 years old tyres, not working rear brake... Challenging... So careful low speed ride around for 38 km, to see how she works.... So far not bad.

Getting ready to leave for a month. Put bike to the workshop.

Now during this month should order parts for engine overhaul (most of the seals already bought locally), brakes etc.
Would like to replace all braking hoses to braided, but ebay shows "standard" pictures in lots for K75. To trust or not to trust, that is the question... Does anybody know reliable and proven source of the hoses kit for K75, preferably in Europe?
  • Cyprus

Offline koshak

« Reply #45 on: March 01, 2020, 03:29:12 PM »
By the way.
Fuel sender is on the way to me.
But there is no fuel level indicator on the bike. What is the correct/suitable level indicator for it?
You remember i was asking about an empty connector? As per the wiring diagram, that is connector for optional accessories, and one of them is the fuel level indicator.
  • Cyprus

Offline Martin

« Reply #46 on: March 01, 2020, 03:47:56 PM »
You will have a low level light.
Regards Martin.

* BMW instrument pod fuel light.jpg.png (11.03 kB . 768x320 - viewed 815 times)
  • North Lakes Queensland Australia
  • 1992 K75s Hybrid, Lefaux, Vespa V twin.

Offline volador

• NEEDS MORE CHROME
« Reply #47 on: March 01, 2020, 03:55:17 PM »
To trust or not to trust, that is the question... Does anybody know reliable and proven source of the hoses kit for K75, preferably in Europe?

Tills.de has hose kits and Jurman will custom make hoses to your spec https://www.tills.de/bmw-k75-67/bmw-k75xx-133/

But there is no fuel level indicator on the bike. What is the correct/suitable level indicator for it?

Fuel level telltale light will come on approx. 5-7 litre

Optional accessory connector is the white 4-pin plug in the relay box.

• NYC NY

Offline koshak

« Reply #48 on: March 01, 2020, 04:22:02 PM »
yes, i know about low level light.
but there is another functionality of fuel sender - to indicate actual level in tank, for which i would like to have suitable gauge.
  • Cyprus

Offline volador

• NEEDS MORE CHROME
« Reply #49 on: March 01, 2020, 04:47:30 PM »
  • NYC NY

Tags: