Author Topic: Sidestand retractor  (Read 2429 times)

Offline bgcameron

• ^ Motobrick Curious
Sidestand retractor
« on: January 09, 2020, 07:33:32 PM »
Hello,

New owner of a '90 K75S here! I picked up some parts to reactivate the sidestand retractor. Everything seems pretty straight forward, however I am unsure of the fitment of this spring. When the retractor lever is pulled, the spring twists because it it loose on its shaft. The end of the spring scratches the casing above it. Is this normal? Thanks!

• Vancouver Island
  • 1990 K75S

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
Re: Sidestand retractor
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2020, 09:15:05 PM »
Everything seems pretty straight forward, however I am unsure of the fitment of this spring. When the retractor lever is pulled, !
It doesn't look like you've connected the rod to the lever in that photo. The rod should be passing through the rectangular opening of the lever then the rectangular nut should be threaded onto the rod and nest into the rectangular opening. What's happening there?
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline bgcameron

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2020, 09:19:20 PM »
It doesn't look like you've connected the rod to the lever in that photo. The rod should be passing through the rectangular opening of the lever then the rectangular nut should be threaded onto the rod and nest into the rectangular opening. What's happening there?

Ignore that, the I hadn't connected the rod before the photo was taken. Everything works when the rod is connected, but the return spring for the retractor lever just doesn't seem right.
  • Vancouver Island
  • 1990 K75S

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2020, 09:43:01 PM »
Ignore that, the I hadn't connected the rod before the photo was taken. Everything works when the rod is connected, but the return spring for the retractor lever just doesn't seem right.
In the future, only post photos that are relevant. What do you mean by everything works when the rod is connected? How about posting a photo of the current setup?
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline K1300S

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2020, 09:51:06 PM »
pic of the spring setup looks correct.  it is a loose fit....until the bar is connected, then it stays under tension.
Project Thread "K75s Midlife Refresh"
http://www.motobrick.com/index.php/topic,7810.0.html

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2020, 09:52:55 PM »
If it returns the lever, it works regardless of how it seems.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline Chaos

• Administrator
  • Mars needs women!
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2020, 09:53:10 PM »
I seem to remember that spring not having a good contact point, just rubs the casing.  I'll have to go out tomorrow and check.  Don't worry, we're all not as persnickety as Laitch :johnny
  • sw ohio
1987 K75S    VIN 0231
Original owner, Original litter
200,000 miles (plus or minus) and 5 paint jobs
sold 6/23
2023 Ural 2WD sidecar (BMW's bastard step child)

Offline bgcameron

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2020, 09:54:37 PM »
In the future, only post photos that are relevant. What do you mean by everything works when the rod is connected? How about posting a photo of the current setup?

Here you go.

• Vancouver Island
  • 1990 K75S

Offline bgcameron

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2020, 09:56:07 PM »
I seem to remember that spring not having a good contact point, just rubs the casing.  I'll have to go out tomorrow and check.  Don't worry, we're all not as persnickety as Laitch :johnny

Thanks, this is what I was looking for. It just seemed very unusual to me, given how well the rest of the bike is engineered. I was starting to wonder if I had the right parts.
  • Vancouver Island
  • 1990 K75S

Offline volador

• NEEDS MORE CHROME
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2020, 11:28:10 PM »
I'll have to go out tomorrow and check.  Don't worry, we're all not as persnickety as Laitch :johnny

Oh come on now that's one of Professors' warmest traits

• NYC NY
  • 1991 K100RS 1993 K75S ABS
5 BOROUGHS SISYPHEAN SOCIETY  MAINTAINING THE OBSESSION

Tags: