Author Topic: Flasher Relay  (Read 156 times)

Offline TommyT

• New Brick Owner
  • ^ Proficient Motobricker
Flasher Relay
« on: November 19, 2019, 10:09:38 PM »
I have a 91 K100 RS I am getting ready for road use. The left turn signal works fine, when I hit the the right turn signal switch all four turn signals flash. From what I read here it seems that the flasher relay is not working right. I also read here that they are a solid state electronic device and that either they work or they don't,  there is no repairable parts. I also see online that new flasher relays are nearly  $200.  There are used ones available for less,  so my question is should a good use one last very long or am I wasting my money 
  • Olive NY
  • 1990 K75s, 1990 K75RT

Online The Mighty Gryphon

• ^ Quintessential Motobricker
Re: Flasher Relay
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2019, 10:28:02 PM »
I recently had exactly the same problem back in September.  Replacing the flasher module with a used one from my parts stash fixed it.

The flasher module is a pretty complicated device with a lot of diodes, and some unidentified parts.  There are schematics around the interweb, but they are pretty much useless for troubleshooting because they don't show complete signal paths. 

Bottom line, IMO, you need to replace yours.  Personally, I would go used, they are out there for slightly less than a hundred bucks.
  • In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '94 K75RT Mystic Red, '91K100RS White/Blue, '89 K100RS Special edition White/Blue
Current:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'91 K100RS "Moby Brick Too
'89 K100RS SE
Agree Agree x 1 View List

Offline daveson

• ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2019, 04:13:42 AM »
I think it would be an idea to swap the relay with one of your k75 models, especially if the part numbers are the same (probably check the wiring diagram though)

I recently swapped flasher relays from an '84 k100 with a '90 k75,  they both worked on either bike,  even though the part numbers were different.

If it's faulty and you want to replace it anyway, might as well open it up, in the hope that there might be some obvious, easy to fix, problem.

Just curious, is there a small blip from the tacho needle when you turn on the right or left turn signals?  There shouldn't be.

For some reason, when you fix some types of flasher whack,  the symptoms remain for a few days or uses,  until it goes back to normal.
  • Victoria, Australia
  • Current;'86 K100RT Past; '97 Yamaha V Star 650 Yamaha V Star

Offline beemuker

• ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2019, 09:28:47 AM »
I have a 91 K100 RS I am getting ready for road use. The left turn signal works fine, when I hit the the right turn signal switch all four turn signals flash. From what I read here it seems that the flasher relay is not working right. I also read here that they are a solid state electronic device and that either they work or they don't,  there is no repairable parts. I also see online that new flasher relays are nearly  $200.  There are used ones available for less,  so my question is should a good use one last very long or am I wasting my money
a used one may last a long time but you may be wasting $. have you cleaned all your ground connections, especially the "hidden" one under the tank ? I have a similar issue that I thought I had resolved, but it is back.
  • Panama City, FL
  • 94 K75s , Dakar yellow ABS

Tags: